Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 8:16
- Yea and if I judge (kai ean krinw de egw).
- "And even if I pass judgment." Condition of third class again.
- True (aląthiną).
- See 1:9 for alhtinov, genuine, soundly based (cf. dikaia in 5:30), "satisfying our perfect conception" (Westcott), not merely true (alhtev) in the particular facts (verse 14).
- For I am not alone (oti monov ouk eimi).
- Jesus now takes up the technical criticism in verse 13 after justifying his right to speak concerning himself.
- But I and the Father that sent me (all egw kai o pempsav me pathr).
- See 16:32 for a like statement about the Father being with Christ. It is not certain that pathr is genuine here (omitted by Aleph D, but in B L W), but the Father is clearly meant as in 7:18,33. Jesus gives the Father as the second witness.