Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 8:54
- If I glorify myself (ean egw doxasw emauton).
- Third-class condition with ean and first aorist active subjunctive (or future active indicative) of doxazw.
- It is my Father that glorifieth me (estin o pathr mou o doxazwn me).
- The position and accent of estin mean: "Actually my Father is the one," etc.
- Of whom ye say (on umeiv legete).
- The accusative of the person (on) with legete is regular (cf. 10:36).
- Your God (teov umwn).
- So Aleph B D and apparently correct, though A C L W Delta Theta have hmwn (our God). The oti can be taken as recitative (direct quotation, hmwn, our) or declarative (indirect, that, and so umwn). The Jews claimed God as their peculiar national God as they had said in 41. So Jesus turns this confession and claim against them.