Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentLuke 10:25
- And tempted him (ekpeirazwn auton).
- Present active participle, conative idea, trying to tempt him. There is no "and" in the Greek. He "stood up (anesth, ingressive second aorist active) trying to tempt him." Peirazw is a late form of peiraw and ekpeirazw apparently only in the LXX, and N.T. (quoted by Jesus from Deuteronomy 6:16 in Matthew 4:7; Luke 4:12 against Satan). Here and 1 Corinthians 10:9. The spirit of this lawyer was evil. He wanted to entrap Jesus if possible.
- What shall I do to inherit eternal life? (Ti poihsav zwhn aiwniou klhronomhsw;).
- Literally, "By doing what shall I inherit eternal life?" Note the emphasis on "doing" (poihsav). The form of his question shows a wrong idea as to how to get it.
- Eternal life (zwhn aiwnion)
- is endless life as in John's Gospel (John 16:9; 18:18,30) and in Matthew 25:46, which see.