Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentLuke 19:44
- Shall dash to the ground (edapiousin).
- Attic future of edapizw, to beat level, to raze to the ground, a rare verb from edapov, bottom, base, ground (Acts 22:7), here alone in the N.T.
- Because (ant' wn).
- "In return for which things."
- Thou knewest not (ouk egnwv).
- Applying the very words of the lament in the condition in verse 42. This vivid prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem is used by those who deny predictive prophecy even for Jesus as proof that Luke wrote the Gospel after the destruction of Jerusalem. But it is no proof at all to those who concede to Jesus adequate knowledge of his mission and claims.