Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentLuke 23:53
- Took it down (katelwn).
- Second aorist active participle of katairew as in Mark 15:46.
- Wrapped (enetulixen),
- as in Matthew 27:59 where Mark 15:46 has eneilhsen (wound), which see. John 19:40 has "bound" (edhsan). See Matt. and Mark also for the linen cloth (sindoni).
- Hewn in stone (laxeutwi).
- From laxeuw (lav, a stone, xew, to polish). In the LXX and here only in the N.T. Nowhere else so far as known. See the usual Greek verb latomew in Mark 15:46; Matthew 27:60.
- Where never man had yet lain (ou ouk en oudeiv oupw keimenov).
- Triple negative and periphrastic past perfect passive in sense (keimai), though periphrastic imperfect passive in form. Same item in John 19:40 who uses hn teteimenov (periphrastic past perfect passive in form).