Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentLuke 18:34
- And they perceived not (kai ouk eginwskon).
- Imperfect active. They kept on not perceiving. Twice already Luke has said this in the same sentence.
- They understood none of these things (ouden toutwn sunhkan).
- First aorist active indicative, a summary statement.
- This saying was hid from them (hn to rhma touto kekrummenon ap' autwn).
- Past perfect passive indicative (periphrastic), state of completion. It was a puzzling experience. No wonder that Luke tries three times to explain the continued failure of the apostles to understand Jesus. The words of Christ about his death ran counter to all their hopes and beliefs.