Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentMark 12:40
- Devour widows' houses (oi katestontev tav oikiav twn xhrwn).
- New sentence in the nominative. Terrible pictures of civil wrong by graft grabbing the homes of helpless widows. They inveigled widows into giving their homes to the temple and took it for themselves.
- For a pretence make long prayers (propasei makra proseuxomenoi).
- Propasei instrumental case of the same word (prophmi) from which prophet comes, but here pretext, pretence of extra piety while robbing the widows and pushing themselves to the fore. Some derive it from propainw, to show forth.
- Greater (perissoteron).
- More abundant condemnation. Some comfort in that at any rate.