Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentMatthew 10:17
- Beware of men (prosexete apo twn antrwpwn).
- Ablative case with apo. Hold your mind (noun understood) away from. The article with antrwpwn points back to lukwn (wolves) in 10:16.
- To councils (eiv sunedria).
- The local courts of justice in every Jewish town. The word is an old one from Herodotus on for any deliberative body (xonxilium). The same word is used for the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem.
- In their synagogues (en toiv sunagwgaiv autwn).
- Here not merely as the place of assembly for worship, but as an assembly of justice exercising discipline as when the man born blind was cast out of the synagogue (John 9:35). They were now after the exile in every town of any size where Jews were.