Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentMatthew 14:15
- When even was come (opsiav genomenhv).
- Genitive absolute. Not sunset about 6 P.M. as in 8:16 and as in 14:23, but the first of the two "evenings" beginning at 3 P.M.
- The place is desert (erhmov estin o topov).
- Not a desolate region, simply lonely, comparatively uninhabited with no large towns near. There were "villages" (kwmav) where the people could buy food, but they would need time to go to them. Probably this is the idea of the disciples when they add:
- The time is already past (h wra hdh parhlten).
- They must hurry.