Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentMatthew 21:33
- A hedge (pragmon).
- Or fence as a protection against wild beasts.
- Digged a winepress (wruxen lhnon).
- Out of the solid rock to hold the grapes and wine as they were crushed. Such wine-vats are to be seen today in Palestine.
- Built a tower (wikodomhsen purgon).
- This for the vinedressers and watchmen (2 Chronicles 26:10). Utmost care was thus taken. Note "a booth in a vineyard" (Isaiah 1:8). See also Isaiah 24:20; Job 27:18. Let it out (exedeto, exedoto the usual form). For hire, the terms not being given. The lease allowed three forms, money-rent, a proportion of the crop, or a definite amount of the produce whether it was a good or bad year. Probably the last form is that contemplated here.