Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentMatthew 23:23
- Ye tithe (apodekatoute).
- The tithe had to be paid upon "all the increase of thy seed" (Deuteronomy 14:22; Leviticus 27:30). The English word tithe is tenth. These small aromatic herbs, mint (to hduosmon, sweet-smelling), anise or dill (anhton), cummin (kuminon, with aromatic seeds), show the Pharisaic scrupulous conscientiousness, all marketable commodities. "The Talmud tells of the ass of a certain Rabbi which had been so well trained as to refuse corn of which the tithes had not been taken" (Vincent).
- These ye ought (tauta edei).
- Jesus does not condemn tithing. What he does condemn is doing it to the neglect of the
- weightier matters (ta barutera).
- The Pharisees were externalists; cf. Luke 11:39-44.