Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentPhilippians 3:3
- For we (hmeiv gar).
- We believers in Christ, the children of Abraham by faith, whether Jew or Gentile, the spiritual circumcision in contrast to the merely physical (Romans 2:25-29; Colossians 2:11; Ephesians 2:11). See Galatians 5:12 for apotemnein (to cut off) in sense of mutilation also.
- By the Spirit of God (pneumati teou).
- Instrumental case, though the dative case as the object of latreuw makes good sense also (worshipping the Spirit of God) or even the locative (worshipping in the Spirit of God).
- No (ouk).
- Actual condition rather than mh with the participle.
- In the flesh (en sarki).
- Technical term in Paul's controversy with the Judaizers (2 Corinthians 11:18; 6:13). External privileges beyond mere flesh.