Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRevelation 21:14
- Had (exwn).
- Masculine present active participle of exw instead of exon (neuter like to teixov), and the participle occurs independently as if a principal verb (eixen) as often in this book.
- Twelve foundations (temeliouv dwdeka).
- Foundation stones, old adjective (from tema, from tithmi), here as in 1 Corinthians 3:11; 2 Timothy 2:19, with litouv (stones understood), though often neuter substantive to temelion (Luke 6:48; Acts 16:26). See Isaiah 28:16; Hebrews 11:10. Twelve because of the twelve apostles as foundation stones (Ephesians 2:20).
- On them (ep' autwn).
- On the twelve foundation stones.
- Names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb (onomata twn dwdeka apostolwn tou arniou).
- Jesus had spoken of twelve thrones for the apostles (Matthew 19:28); names of all twelve are here written, not just that of Peter, as some would argue from Matthew 16:18. As a matter of fact, Christ is the corner stone or akrogwniaion (1 Peter 2:6; 1 Corinthians 3:10; Ephesians 2:20), though rejected by the Sanhedrin (Matthew 21:42). One may wonder if the name of Judas is on that stone or that of Matthias.