Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 1:28
- And even as they refused (kai katwv ouk edokimasan).
- "And even as they rejected" after trial just as dokimazw is used of testing coins. They tested God at first and turned aside from him.
- Knowledge (epignwsei).
- Full knowledge (epi additional, gnwsiv). They had a dim memory that was a caricature.
- Unto a reprobate mind (eiv adokimon noun).
- Play on ouk edokimasan. They rejected God and God rejected their mental attitude and gave them over (verses 24,26,28). See this adjective already in 1 Corinthians 9:27; 2 Corinthians 13:5-7. Like an old abandoned building, the home of bats and snakes, left "to do those things which are not fitting" (poiein ta mh kathkonta), like the night clubs of modern cities, the dives and dens of the underworld, without God and in the darkness of unrestrained animal impulses. This was a technical term with Stoics (II Macc. 6:4).