Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 4:17
- A father of many nations (patera pollwn etnwn).
- Quotation from Genesis 17:5. Only true in the sense of spiritual children as already explained, father of believers in God.
- Before him whom he believed even God (katenanti ou episteusen teou).
- Incorporation of antecedent into the relative clause and attraction of the relative wi into ou. See Mark 11:2 for katenanti, "right in front of."
- Calleth the things that are not as though they were (kalountov ta mh onta wv onta).
- "Summons the non-existing as existing." Abraham's body was old and decrepit. God rejuvenated him and Sarah (Hebrews 11:19).