Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 7:5
- In the flesh (en thi sarki).
- Same sense as in 6:19 and 7:18,25. The "flesh" is not inherently sinful, but is subject to sin. It is what Paul means by being "under the law." He uses sarx in a good many senses.
- Sinful passions (ta pathmata twn amartiwn).
- "Passions of sins" or marked by sins.
- Wrought (energeito).
- Imperfect middle of energew, "were active."
- To bring forth fruit unto death (eiv to karpoporhsai twi tanatwi).
- Purpose clause again. Vivid picture of the seeds of sin working for death.