Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 7:9
- I was alive (ezwn).
- Imperfect active. Apparently, "the lost paradise in the infancy of men" (Denney), before the conscience awoke and moral responsibility came, "a seeming life" (Shedd).
- Sin revived (h amartia anezhsen).
- Sin came back to life, waked up, the blissful innocent stage was over, "the commandment having come" (eltoushv thv entolhv, genitive absolute).
- But I died (egw de apetanon).
- My seeming life was over for I was conscious of sin, of violation of law. I was dead before, but I did not know. Now I found out that I was spiritually dead.