Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 8:9
- Not in the flesh (ouk en sarki).
- Not sold under sin (7:14) any more.
- But in the spirit (alla en pneumati).
- Probably, "in the Holy Spirit." It is not Pantheism or Buddhism that Paul here teaches, but the mystical union of the believer with Christ in the Holy Spirit.
- If so be that (eiper).
- "If as is the fact" (cf. 3:30).
- The Spirit of Christ (pneuma Xristou).
- The same as "the Spirit of God" just before. See also Philippians 1:19; 1 Peter 1:11. Incidental argument for the Deity of Christ and probably the meaning of 2 Corinthians 3:18 "the Spirit of the Lord." Condition of first class, assumed as true.