Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 12:3
- Not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think (mh uperpronein par' o dei pronein).
- Indirect negative command after legw (I say). Play on the two infinitives pronein, to think, and uperpronein (old verb from uperprwn, over-proud, here only in N.T.) to "over-think" with par' o (beyond what) added. Then another play on pronein and swpronein (old verb from swprwn, sober-minded), to be in one's right mind (Mark 5:15; 2 Corinthians 5:13). Self-conceit is here treated as a species of insanity.
- A measure of faith (metron pistewv).
- Accusative case, the object of the verb emerisen. Each has his gift from God (1 Corinthians 3:5; 4:7). There is no occasion for undue pride.
- To each man (ekastwi).
- Emphatic position before wv (as) and emphasizes the diversity.