Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 12:19
- Avenge not (mh ekdikountev).
- Independent participle again of late verb ekdikew from ekdikov, exacting justice (13:4). See already Luke 18:5; 2 Corinthians 10:6.
- But give place unto wrath (alla dote topon thi orghi).
- Second aorist active imperative of didwmi, to give. "Give room for the (note article as in 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 2:16) wrath" of God instead of taking vengeance in your own hands. See Ephesians 4:27 for didote topon. Paul quotes Deuteronomy 32:35 (the Hebrew rather than the LXX). So have Hebrews 10:30 and the Targum of Onkelos, but the relation between them and Paul we cannot tell. Socrates and Epictetus condemned personal vindictiveness as Paul does here.
- I will recompense (antapodwsw).
- Future active of the double compound verb quoted also in 11:35.