Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 13:2
- He that resisteth (o antitassomenov).
- Present middle articular participle of antitassw, old verb to range in battle against as in Acts 18:6, "he that lines himself up against."
- Withstandeth (antesthken).
- Perfect active indicative of antisthmi and intransitive, "has taken his stand against."
- The ordinance of God (thi tou teou diataghi).
- Late word, but common in papyri (Deissmann, Light, etc., p. 89), in N.T. only here and Acts 7:53. Note repetition of root of tassw.
- To themselves (eautoiv).
- Dative of disadvantage. See Mark 12:40 for "shall receive a judgment" (krina lhmpsontai). Future middle of lambanw.