Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 15:5
- The God of patience and comfort (o teov thv upomonhv kai thv paraklhsewv).
- Genitive case of the two words in verse 4 used to describe God who uses the Scriptures to reveal himself to us. See 2 Corinthians 1:3 for this idea; Romans 15:13 for "the God of hope"; 15:33 for "the God of peace."
- Grant you (dwih umin).
- Second aorist active optative (Koine form for older doih) as in 2 Thessalonians 3:16; Ephesians 1:17; 2 Timothy 1:16,18; 2:25, though MSS. vary in Ephesians 1:17; 2 Timothy 2:25 for dwhi (subjunctive). The optative here is for a wish for the future (regular idiom).
- According to Christ Jesus (kata Xriston Ihsoun).
- "According to the character or example of Christ Jesus" (2 Corinthians 11:17; Colossians 2:8; Ephesians 5:24).