The Fourfold Gospel
11:23 For I received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was betrayed took bread1;
THE LORD'S SUPPER INSTITUTED.
(Jerusalem. Evening before the crucifixion.)
Matthew 26:26-29; Mark 14:22-25; Luke 22:19,20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was betrayed took bread. See Mark 14:22.
11:24 and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me1.
- This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me. See Mark 14:22.
11:25 In like manner also the cup, after supper1, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood2: this do, as often as ye drink [it], in remembrance of me.
- In like manner also the cup, after supper. See Mark 14:23.
- Saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood. See Mark 14:24.
11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord's death till he come1.
- Ye proclaim the Lord's death till he come. This verse is a comment of Paul's upon the nature of the supper. In keeping the Lord's Supper
we proclaim to our own souls and to the world our trust in the death of
Christ, and our hope that he will return and fulfill the expectations
begotten in us by it.