The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 1
Adam, Sheth, Enosh,
- Genesis 4:25,26; 5:3,8; Luke 3:38
- Genesis 5:9-11; Luke 3:38
Kenan, Mahalaleel, Jered,
- Genesis 5:12-14; Luke 3:37
- Genesis 5:15-17; Luke 3:37
- Genesis 5:18-20; Luke 3:37
Henoch, Methuselah, Lamech,
- Genesis 5:21-24; Hebrews 11:5; Jude 1:14
- Genesis 5:25-27; Luke 3:37
- Genesis 5:28-31; Luke 3:36
Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
- Genesis 5:32; 6:8,9; 7:1; 9:29; Isaiah 54:9,10; Ezekiel 14:14; Matthew 24:37,38; Luke 3:36; 17:26
- Hebrews 11:7; 2 Peter 2:5
- Genesis 5:32; 6:10; 9:18
The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.
- Genesis 10:1-5; Ezekiel 27:13; 38:2,3,6; 39:1
And the sons of Gomer; Ashchenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.
- Genesis 10:3
- Riphath. or Diphath, as it is in some copies.
And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
- Psalms 72:10; Isaiah 66:19
- These, and other words ending in im, forming the Hebrew plural, are not the names of individuals, but of nations.
- Numbers 24:24; Isaiah 23:1,12; Jeremiah 2:10; Ezekiel 27:6; Daniel 11:30
- Dodanim. or, Rodanim, according to some copies.
The sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, Put, and Canaan.
- Genesis 10:6,7
- Genesis 10:6
And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be mighty upon the earth.
- Genesis 10:8-12; Micah 5:6
And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim,
- Genesis 10:13,14
And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (of whom came the Philistines,) and Caphthorim.
- Deuteronomy 2:23; Jeremiah 47:4; Amos 9:7
And Canaan begat Zidon his firstborn, and Heth,
- Genesis 9:22,25,26; 10:15-19
- Genesis 23:3,5,20; 27:46; 49:30-32; Exodus 23:28; Joshua 9:1; 2 Samuel 11:6
The Jebusite also, and the Amorite, and the Girgashite,
- Genesis 15:21; Exodus 33:2; 34:11; Judges 1:21; 19:11; 2 Samuel 24:16; Zechariah 9:7
- Genesis 48:22; Numbers 21:21-32; Deuteronomy 20:17; Joshua 3:10; 24:15; 2 Samuel 21:2; 2 Kings 21:11; Amos 2:9
- Genesis 15:21; Deuteronomy 7:1; Joshua 3:10; Nehemiah 9:8
And the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite,
- Exodus 3:8,17; 13:5; 1 Kings 9:20
And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite.
- Numbers 34:8; 1 Kings 8:65
The sons of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram, and Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Meshech.
- sons of Shem
- Genesis 10:22-32; 11:10
- Genesis 14:1; Isaiah 11:11; 21:2; 22:6; Jeremiah 25:25; Ezekiel 32:24; Daniel 8:2
- Numbers 24:22-24; Ezra 4:2; Psalms 83:8
- Ezekiel 27:23; 32:22; Hosea 14:3
- Isaiah 66:19; Ezekiel 27:10
- Numbers 23:7
- Genesis 10:23
And Arphaxad begat Shelah, and Shelah begat Eber.
- Genesis 10:24; 11:12-15
And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother's name was Joktan.
- Genesis 10:21,25; 11:16,17; Numbers 24:24
- that is, Division.
And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah,
- Genesis 10:26,27
And Ebal, and Abimael, and Sheba,
- Genesis 10:28
And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab. All these were the sons of Joktan.
- Genesis 10:29; 1 Kings 9:28; 10:11; 1 Chronicles 29:4; Job 22:24; Psalms 45:9; Isaiah 13:12
- Genesis 2:11; 25:18; 1 Samuel 15:7
Shem, Arphaxad, Shelah,
- Genesis 11:10-26
- Luke 3:35
Eber, Peleg, Reu,
- Luke 3:35
- Luke 3:35
- Luke 3:35
Serug, Nahor, Terah,
- Luke 3:35
- Luke 3:34
- Luke 3:34
Abram; the same is Abraham.
- Genesis 11:27-32; 17:5; Joshua 24:2; Nehemiah 9:7
The sons of Abraham; Isaac, and Ishmael.
- Genesis 17:19-21; 21:2-5,12
- Genesis 16:11-16; 21:9,10
These are their generations: The firstborn of Ishmael, Nebaioth; then Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,
- The firstborn
- Genesis 25:12-16
- Genesis 28:9
- Isaiah 60:7
- Psalms 120:4; Song of Solomon 1:5; Isaiah 21:17
Mishma, and Dumah, Massa, Hadad, and Tema,
- Isaiah 21:11
- or Hadar.
- Genesis 25:15
Now the sons of Keturah, Abraham's concubine: she bare Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah. And the sons of Jokshan; Sheba, and Dedan.
- A. M. 2151. B.C. 1853. the sons
- Genesis 25:1-4
- Genesis 37:28; Exodus 2:15,16; Numbers 22:4-7; 25:6; 31:2; Judges 6:1-6
- 1 Kings 10:1; Job 6:19; Psalms 72:10,15; Isaiah 60:6
- Isaiah 21:13; Jeremiah 25:23; 49:8; Ezekiel 25:13; 27:20
And the sons of Midian; Ephah, and Epher, and Henoch, and Abida, and Eldaah. All these are the sons of Keturah.
- Isaiah 60:6
And Abraham begat Isaac. The sons of Isaac; Esau and Israel.
- Genesis 21:2,3; Matthew 1:2; Luke 3:34; Acts 7:8
- The sons of Isaac
- Genesis 25:24-28; Malachi 1:2-4; Romans 9:10-13
- Genesis 32:28
The sons of Esau; Eliphaz, Reuel, and Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah.
- sons of Esau
- Genesis 36:4,5,9,10
The sons of Eliphaz; Teman, and Omar, Zephi, and Gatam, Kenaz, and Timna, and Amalek.
- 53; Genesis 36:11-15; Jeremiah 49:7,20; Amos 1:12; Obadiah 1:9; Habakkuk 3:3
- Genesis 36:15
And the sons of Seir; Lotan, and Shobal, and Zibeon, and Anah, and Dishon, and Ezer, and Dishan.
- the sons of Seir
- Genesis 36:20,29,30
- The variation here is only in the translation.
- Genesis 36:21
And the sons of Lotan; Hori, and Homam: and Timna was Lotan's sister.
- Deuteronomy 2:12,22
- This variation is simply the mutation of [Yôwd] yood and [Vâv] wav; that in Genesis being properly [Heymam (emyh)] Hemam, and this, [Howmam (emwh)] Homam.
- Genesis 36:22
The sons of Shobal; Alian, and Manahath, and Ebal, Shephi, and Onam. And the sons of Zibeon; Aiah, and Anah.
- Both these variations are also caused by the mutation of [Yôwd] yood and [Vâv] wav; the former being written [`Alvan (awl()] Alvan, and [`Alvan (awl()] Alian; and the latter, [Sh@phow (wp#)] Shepho, and [Sh@phow (wp#)] Shephi.
- Genesis 36:23
- Alvan, Shepho
- Aiyah. The difference here is only in the translation; the original being uniformly ['Ayah (hy))] Aiyah.
- Genesis 36:24
The sons of Anah; Dishon. And the sons of Dishon; Amram, and Eshban, and Ithran, and Cheran.
- Genesis 36:25
- This variation is only caused by the mutation of a [Dâleth] daleth, and a [Rêyah] raish; the original being in Genesis [Chemdan (admx)] Hemdan, and here [`Amram (erm()] Hamran.
- Genesis 36:26
The sons of Ezer; Bilhan, and Zavan, and Jakan. The sons of Dishan; Uz, and Aran.
- The former of these is the same in the original, [Za`avan (aw(z)] Zaüvan, and the latter, [y`qn] is an error for [w`qn] wëakan, "and Achan."
- Genesis 36:27
- Zaavan, Achan
- Genesis 36:28; Lamentations 4:21
Now these are the kings that reigned in the land of Edom before any king reigned over the children of Israel; Bela the son of Beor: and the name of his city was Dinhabah.
- the kings
- Genesis 36:31-39; 49:10; Numbers 24:17-19
And when Bela was dead, Jobab the son of Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his stead.
- Isaiah 34:6; 63:1; Jeremiah 49:13; Amos 1:12; Micah 2:12
And when Samlah was dead, Shaul of Rehoboth by the river reigned in his stead.
- The original is uniformly Shaül.
- Genesis 36:37
And when Baalhanan was dead, Hadad reigned in his stead: and the name of his city was Pai; and his wife's name was Mehetabel, the daughter of Matred, the daughter of Mezahab.
- This variation is occasioned simply by the mutation of [Rêysh] raish, and [Dâleth] daleth; being in Genesis, [Hadar (rdh)] Hadar, and here, [Hadad (ddh)] Hadad.
- Genesis 36:39
- Pai. This simply depends on the interchange of [Yôwd] yood and [Vâv] wav; being written in Genesis [Pa`uw (w(p)] Paü, and here, [Pa`uw (w(p)] Paï.
- Genesis 36:39
Hadad died also. And the dukes of Edom were; duke Timnah, duke Aliah, duke Jetheth,
- This is another instance of the mutation of [Yôwd] yood and [Vâv] wav; in the former instance being [`Alvah (hwl()] Alvah, and here, [`Alvah (hwl()] Aliah, though the Keri also reads Alvah.
- Genesis 36:40
Duke Magdiel, duke Iram. These are the dukes of Edom.
- These are
- Genesis 36:41-43