The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 18
Now after this it came to pass, that David smote the Philistines, and subdued them, and took Gath and her towns out of the hand of the Philistines.
- A. M. 2964. B.C. 1040. An. Ex. Is. 451. after this
- 2 Samuel 8:1,2-18
- 1 Samuel 5:8; 27:4; 2 Samuel 1:20; 8:1
And he smote Moab; and the Moabites became David's servants, and brought gifts.
- He smote
- Numbers 24:17; Judges 3:29,30; 2 Samuel 8:2; Psalms 60:8; Isaiah 11:14
- brought gifts
- 1 Samuel 10:27; 1 Kings 10:2,25; 2 Kings 3:4,5; Psalms 68:29,30; 72:8-10; Isaiah 16:1
And David smote Hadarezer king of Zobah unto Hamath, as he went to stablish his dominion by the river Euphrates.
- Hadadezer, [Hadad`ezer (rz(ddh)] in the parallel passage, seems an evident mistake for [Hadar`ezer (rz(rdh)] Hadarezer; for the LXX. and Vulgate there, as here, read [Adaraazar] Adarezer. The difference arises from the mistake of a [Ręysh] raish, for a [Dâleth] daleth, two letters very similar.
- 2 Samuel 8:3
- 1 Samuel 14:47; 2 Samuel 10:6; Psalms 60:1; *title
- by the river
- Genesis 15:18; Exodus 23:31
And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: David also houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them an hundred chariots.
- seven thousand
- 2 Samuel 8:4
- seven hundred
- David. The words wyakker Dawid eth col haraichev, should be rendered, "and David disjointed all the chariots;" which is nearly the rendering of the LXX., [kai paraluse David panta ta armata.] To have houghed the horses would have been both unreasonable and inhuman; for, as he had gained so complete a victory, there was no danger of their falling into the hands of the enemy; and if he did not choose to keep them, which indeed the law would not permit, he ought to have killed them outright.
- Deuteronomy 17:16; Joshua 11:6,9; Psalms 20:7; 33:16,17
- an hundred chariots
- 1 Kings 4:2; 10:26
And when the Syrians of Damascus came to help Hadarezer king of Zobah, David slew of the Syrians two and twenty thousand men.
- the Syrians
- 2 Samuel 8:5,6; 1 Kings 11:23,24
- Heb. Darmesek. to help.
- Isaiah 8:9,10
- 3; 1 Samuel 14:47
Then David put garrisons in Syriadamascus; and the Syrians became David's servants, and brought gifts. Thus the LORD preserved David whithersoever he went.
- became David's
- 2; Psalms 18:43,44
- Thus the Lord
- 17:8; Psalms 121:8; Proverbs 21:31
And David took the shields of gold that were on the servants of Hadarezer, and brought them to Jerusalem.
- 1 Kings 10:16,17; 14:26-28; 2 Chronicles 9:15,16; 12:9,10
Likewise from Tibhath, and from Chun, cities of Hadarezer, brought David very much brass, wherewith Solomon made the brasen sea, and the pillars, and the vessels of brass.
- 2 Samuel 8:8
- Betah, Berothai
- 22:14; 1 Kings 7:15-47; 2 Chronicles 4:2-6,12-18; Jeremiah 52:17-23
Now when Tou king of Hamath heard how David had smitten all the host of Hadarezer king of Zobah;
- 2 Samuel 8:9
He sent Hadoram his son to king David, to enquire of his welfare, and to congratulate him, because he had fought against Hadarezer, and smitten him; (for Hadarezer had war with Tou;) and with him all manner of vessels of gold and silver and brass.
- or Joram.
- 2 Samuel 8:10; Joram, in the parallel text, seems a mistake for Hadoram, or Idoram; for the LXX. have there [Leddouram.]
- or salute him. congratulate him. Heb. bless him.
- had war
- Heb. was the man of wars. all manner.
- 2 Chronicles 9:1,23,24; Isaiah 39:1
Them also king David dedicated unto the LORD, with the silver and the gold that he brought from all these nations; from Edom, and from Moab, and from the children of Ammon, and from the Philistines, and from Amalek.
- 22:14; 26:20,26,27; 29:14; Exodus 35:5,21-24; Joshua 6:19; 2 Samuel 8:11,12; 1 Kings 7:51; 2 Kings 12:18; 2 Chronicles 5:1; Micah 4:13
- the children
- 1 Samuel 27:8,9; 30:13,20; Psalms 83:6,7
Moreover Abishai the son of Zeruiah slew of the Edomites in the valley of salt eighteen thousand.
- 2:16; 11:20; 1 Samuel 26:6,8; 2 Samuel 3:30; 10:10,14; 16:9-11; 19:21,22; 20:6; 2 Samuel 21:17; 23:18
- Heb. Abshai.
- 19:11; *marg:
- slew of the Edomites
- 2 Samuel 7:13; 8:13,14; Psalms 60:1; *title; Psalms 60:8,9
- the valley of Salt
- 2 Kings 14:7; 2 Chronicles 25:11
And he put garrisons in Edom; and all the Edomites became David's servants. Thus the LORD preserved David whithersoever he went.
- 6; 1 Samuel 10:5; 13:3; 14:1; 2 Samuel 7:14-17; 23:14; 2 Corinthians 11:32
- all the Edomites
- Genesis 25:23; 27:29,37,40; Numbers 24:18
- Thus the Lord
- 6; Psalms 18:48-50; 121:7; 144:10
So David reigned over all Israel, and executed judgment and justice among all his people.
- 2 Samuel 8:15; Psalms 78:71,72; 89:14; Isaiah 9:7; 32:1,2; Jeremiah 22:15; 23:5,6; Jeremiah 33:15
And Joab the son of Zeruiah was over the host; and Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud, recorder.
- 11:6; 2 Samuel 8:16
- 1 Kings 4:3
- or, remembrancer.
And Zadok the son of Ahitub, and Abimelech the son of Abiathar, were the priests; and Shavsha was scribe;
- 2 Samuel 8:17
- 2 Samuel 20:25; 1 Kings 2:35
- 2 Samuel 8:17
- 2 Samuel 20:25
- 1 Kings 4:3
And Benaiah the son of Jehoiada was over the Cherethites and the Pelethites; and the sons of David were chief about the king.
- 2 Samuel 8:18; 15:18; 20:7,23; 23:19-23; 1 Kings 1:38,44; 2:34,35
- Zephaniah 2:5
- about the king
- Heb. at the hand of the king.
- 23:28; *marg: