The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 28
And David assembled all the princes of Israel, the princes of the tribes, and the captains of the companies that ministered to the king by course, and the captains over the thousands, and captains over the hundreds, and the stewards over all the substance and possession of the king, and of his sons, with the officers, and with the mighty men, and with all the valiant men, unto Jerusalem.
- 23:2; Joshua 23:2; 24:1
- the princes
- the captains of the companies
- the stewards
- or, cattle. and of his sons. or, and his sons. officers. or, eunuchs.
- the mighty men
Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building:
- stood up
- Genesis 48:2; 1 Kings 1:47
- my brethren
- 11:1-3; Deuteronomy 17:15,20; Psalms 22:22; Hebrews 2:11,12
- I had in mine heart
- 17:1,2; 2 Samuel 7:1,2; 1 Kings 8:17,18
- 6:31; Psalms 132:3-8,14
- the footstool
- Psalms 99:5; 132:7; Isaiah 66:1; Lamentations 2:1; Acts 7:49
- had made ready
- 18:7-11; 22:2-5,14
But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build an house for my name, because thou hast been a man of war, and hast shed blood.
- Thou shalt
- 17:4; 22:8; 2 Samuel 7:5-13; 1 Kings 5:3; 2 Chronicles 6:8,9
- Heb. bloods.
Howbeit the LORD God of Israel chose me before all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be the ruler; and of the house of Judah, the house of my father; and among the sons of my father he liked me to make me king over all Israel:
- chose me
- 1 Samuel 16:6-13; 2 Samuel 7:8-16; Psalms 78:68-72; 89:16-27
- chosen Judah
- 5:2; Genesis 49:8-10; Psalms 60:7; 108:8; Hebrews 7:14
- the house of Judah
- 1 Samuel 16:1
- the house of my father
- 1 Samuel 26:1
- among the sons
- 1 Samuel 16:12,13; Psalms 18:19; 147:10,11
And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.
- all my sons
- 3:1-9; 14:4-7
- he hath chosen
- 22:9,10; 23:1; 29:1
- to sit
- 17:14; 29:23; 2 Chronicles 1:8,9; Psalms 72:1; *title; Psalms 72:1-20; Isaiah 9:6,7
And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
- he shall
- 17:11-14; 22:9,10; 2 Samuel 7:13,14; 2 Chronicles 1:9; Zechariah 6:12,13; Hebrews 3:3,6
- I have
- Hebrews 4:5
Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.
- Psalms 89:28-37; 132:12; Daniel 2:44
- 22:13; 1 Kings 6:12,13; 9:4,5; 11:9-13
- Heb. strong.
- 10; Joshua 1:6,7; 1 Kings 2:2-4
- as at this day
- 1 Kings 8:61; 11:4
Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God: that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever.
- in the sight
- Deuteronomy 4:6; Matthew 5:14-16; Philippians 2:15,16; Hebrews 12:1,2
- in the audience
- Deuteronomy 4:26; 29:10,15; Acts 10:33
- Psalms 119:4,10,11,27,33,34,44; Proverbs 2:1-5; 3:1; Isaiah 34:16; Acts 17:11
- that ye may
- Deuteronomy 4:1; 5:32,33; 6:1-3
- leave it
- Ezra 9:12; Proverbs 13:22
And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
- know thou
- Deuteronomy 4:35; 1 Kings 8:43; Psalms 9:10; Jeremiah 9:24; 22:16; 24:7; 31:34; Hosea 4:1,6; John 8:55; 17:3; Acts 17:23,30; Romans 1:28; 1 Corinthians 15:34; 2 Corinthians 4:6
- the God
- Genesis 28:13; Exodus 3:16; 15:2; 1 Kings 3:6; Psalms 18:2; 89:26
- serve him
- 29:9,17-19; 1 Kings 8:61; 2 Kings 20:3; 22:2; Job 36:11,12; Psalms 101:2; John 1:47; 4:24; Romans 1:29; Hebrews 12:28
- a willing mind
- 2 Corinthians 8:12; 9:7; 1 Peter 5:2
- the Lord
- 29:17; 1 Samuel 16:7; 1 Kings 8:39; Psalms 7:9; 139:2; Proverbs 17:3; Jeremiah 11:20; 17:10; Jeremiah 20:12; John 2:25; 21:17; Acts 1:24; Hebrews 4:13; Revelation 2:23
- the imaginations
- Genesis 6:5; 8:21; Deuteronomy 31:21; Psalms 139:2; Ezekiel 38:10
- if thou seek
- 2 Chronicles 15:2; Proverbs 2:1-6; Isaiah 45:19; 55:6,7; Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 7:7,8; James 4:8-11
- if thou forsake
- Deuteronomy 31:16,17; 1 Kings 9:6-9; Ezra 8:22; Isaiah 1:28; Hebrews 10:38,39
Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.
- Take heed now
- 6; 22:16-19; 1 Timothy 4:16
Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,
- He gave him an ichnograph of the building, with elevations, sections and specifications of every part; and all this he himself received by inspiration from God himself, (ver. 12, 19,) just as Moses had received the plan of the tabernacle.
- the pattern
- 19; Exodus 25:40; 26:30; 39:42,43; 2 Chronicles 3:3; Ezekiel 43:10,11; Hebrews 8:5
- the porch
- 1 Kings 6:3; 2 Chronicles 3:4; Ezekiel 40:8,9,15,48,49
- the houses
- 1 Kings 6:16-20; 2 Chronicles 3:5-10; Ezekiel 41:13-17; Hebrews 9:2-8
- the treasuries
- [gnzkyw] ganzakkaiv: the word [gnzk] ganzach, is supposed to be not Hebrew, but Persian; in which language we have [gng] ganj, a granary, a hidden treasure, and [gngwr] gunjoor, and [gngynh] gunjineh, a treasure, treasury, or barn. It may, however, be a Chaldee form of the Hebrew [gnz] genez, (from [gnz] genaz, to treasure up;) the [k] being merely formative, as in [dk] dech, ['lk] illaich, and other Chaldee words.
- 9:26-29; 26:20-27; Luke 21:1
- upper chambers
- 1 Kings 6:5,6,10; 2 Chronicles 3:9; Nehemiah 10:38,39; 13:5; Jeremiah 35:2; Ezekiel 41:6-11
- the place
- Exodus 25:17-22; 40:20,21; 1 Kings 6:19; 2 Chronicles 5:7; Hebrews 9:5
And the pattern of all that he had by the spirit, of the courts of the house of the LORD, and of all the chambers round about, of the treasuries of the house of God, and of the treasuries of the dedicated things:
- the pattern
- Exodus 31:2
- "By the spirit of prophecy that was with him," say the Targumist.
- that he had by
- Heb. that was with him by. the spirit.
- Exodus 25:40; Hebrews 8:5
- the treasuries
- 26:20,26-28; 1 Kings 14:26; 15:15,18; 2 Kings 16:8; 18:15
Also for the courses of the priests and the Levites, and for all the work of the service of the house of the LORD, and for all the vessels of service in the house of the LORD.
- the courses
- 24:1-19; 25:1-31
- the vessels
- 9:29; 1 Kings 7:1-51; Ezra 8:25-30,33
He gave of gold by weight for things of gold, for all instruments of all manner of service; silver also for all instruments of silver by weight, for all instruments of every kind of service:
- of gold
- The quantity of gold which was to be put in each article.
Even the weight for the candlesticks of gold, and for their lamps of gold, by weight for every candlestick, and for the lamps thereof: and for the candlesticks of silver by weight, both for the candlestick, and also for the lamps thereof, according to the use of every candlestick.
- the candlesticks
- Exodus 25:31-39; 1 Kings 7:19; 2 Chronicles 4:7; Zechariah 4:2,3,11-14; Revelation 1:12,13,20; Revelation 2:1
And by weight he gave gold for the tables of shewbread, for every table; and likewise silver for the tables of silver:
- tables of shewbread
- Exodus 25:23-30; 1 Kings 7:48; 2 Chronicles 4:8,19
Also pure gold for the fleshhooks, and the bowls, and the cups: and for the golden basons he gave gold by weight for every bason; and likewise silver by weight for every bason of silver:
- pure gold
- 1 Samuel 2:13,14; 2 Chronicles 4:20-22
- the bowls
- Numbers 7:13,14; 1 Kings 7:48-50; 10:21
And for the altar of incense refined gold by weight; and gold for the pattern of the chariot of the cherubims, that spread out their wings, and covered the ark of the covenant of the LORD.
- the altar
- Exodus 30:1-10; 1 Kings 7:48
- the chariot
- Exodus 25:18-22; 1 Samuel 4:4; 1 Kings 6:23-30; Psalms 18:10; 68:17; 80:1; 99:1; Ezekiel 1:15-24; 10:2-22; Hebrews 9:5
All this, said David, the LORD made me understand in writing by his hand upon me, even all the works of this pattern.
- the Lord
- 11,12; Exodus 25:40; 26:30
- by his hand upon me
- Ezekiel 1:3; 3:14,22
And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.
- Be strong
- 10; 22:13; Deuteronomy 31:7,8; Joshua 1:6-9; 1 Corinthians 16:13
- fear not
- Psalms 27:1,2; Isaiah 41:10,13; Romans 8:31
- he will not fail thee
- Joshua 1:5; Hebrews 13:5
And, behold, the courses of the priests and the Levites, even they shall be with thee for all the service of the house of God: and there shall be with thee for all manner of workmanship every willing skilful man, for any manner of service: also the princes and all the people will be wholly at thy commandment.
- the courses
- all manner
- Exodus 31:3
- Exodus 35:25,26,35; 36:1-4; Romans 13:1; Psalms 110:3
- also the princes
- 22:17,18; Titus 3:1