The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 4
The sons of Judah; Pharez, Hezron, and Carmi, and Hur, and Shobal.
- A. M. 2283, etc. B.C. 1721, etc. Pharez
- 2:5; Genesis 38:29; 46:12; Numbers 26:20,21; Ruth 4:18; Matthew 1:3; Luke 3:33
- Phares, Esrom
And Reaiah the son of Shobal begat Jahath; and Jahath begat Ahumai, and Lahad. These are the families of the Zorathites.
- 2:53,54; Joshua 15:33; Judges 13:25
And these were of the father of Etam; Jezreel, and Ishma, and Idbash: and the name of their sister was Hazelelponi:
- Judges 15:11; 2 Chronicles 11:6
And Penuel the father of Gedor, and Ezer the father of Hushah. These are the sons of Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah, the father of Bethlehem.
- 18,39; Joshua 15:36
And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.
And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.
- Genesis 34:19; Isaiah 43:4; Acts 17:11
- i.e., Sorrowful. I bare him.
- 7:23; Genesis 3:16; 35:18; 1 Samuel 4:21
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
- 16:8; Genesis 12:8; Job 12:4; Psalms 55:16; 99:6; 116:2-4; Jeremiah 33:3; Romans 10:12-14; 1 Corinthians 1:2
- the God
- Genesis 32:28; 33:20; 1 Samuel 1:17; Isaiah 41:17
- Oh that, etc
- Heb. If thou wilt, etc.
- Luke 19:42
- bless me
- Genesis 12:2; 32:26; Psalms 72:17; Acts 3:26; Ephesians 1:3
- Joshua 17:14-18; Judges 1:27-36; Proverbs 10:22
- thine hand
- Psalms 119:173; Isaiah 41:10; John 10:28
- that thou
- Genesis 48:16; Proverbs 30:8; Matthew 6:13; Romans 12:9; 16:19; 2 Timothy 4:18
- keep me
- Heb. do me. that it may.
- Psalms 32:3,4; 51:8,12; Matthew 26:75; John 21:17; 2 Corinthians 2:1-7; Ephesians 4:30; Revelation 3:19
- God granted
- 1 Kings 3:7-13; Job 22:27,28; Psalms 21:4; 65:2; 66:19,20; 116:1,2; Matthew 7:7-11; Ephesians 3:20
And Eshton begat Bethrapha, and Paseah, and Tehinnah the father of Irnahash. These are the men of Rechah.
- or, the city of Nahash.
And the sons of Kenaz; Othniel, and Seraiah: and the sons of Othniel; Hathath.
- Joshua 15:17; Judges 1:13; 3:9-11
- or, Hathath and Meonathai, who begat, etc.
And Meonothai begat Ophrah: and Seraiah begat Joab, the father of the valley of Charashim; for they were craftsmen.
- or, inhabitants of the valley. Charashim. that is, craftsmen.
- 2 Kings 24:14; Nehemiah 11:35
And the sons of Caleb the son of Jephunneh; Iru, Elah, and Naam: and the sons of Elah, even Kenaz.
- Numbers 13:6,30; 14:6-10,24,30; Joshua 14:6-14; 15:13-20; Judges 1:12-14
- or, Uknaz.
And the sons of Ezra were, Jether, and Mered, and Epher, and Jalon: and she bare Miriam, and Shammai, and Ishbah the father of Eshtemoa.
- Ezra seems to be the person before called Asareel in ver. 16.
- and she bare Miriam
- It is probable that the latter part of ver. 18 should be transposed before this passage, which Michaelis thinks is its right place; for otherwise we have the pronoun she without an antecedent, and children born without their father's being mentioned.
- 19; 6:57; Joshua 15:50
- 21:24; 1 Samuel 30:28
And his wife JehudijahSocoh bare Jered the father of Gedor, and Heber the father of Socho, and Jekuthiel the father of Zanoah. And these are the sons of Bithiah the daughter of Pharaoh, which Mered took.
- or, the Jewess. the father
- 4,39; 2:42; Joshua 15:58
- Gedor was a city in the tribe of Judah; and probably the same which Eusebius calls [Kedous] and Jerome Gedrus, ten miles from Diospolis, or Lydda, towards Eleutheropolis.
- Joshua 15:34,35,48
And the sons of his wife Hodiah the sister of Naham, the father of Keilah the Garmite, and Eshtemoa the Maachathite.
- or, Jehudijah. mentioned before.
- Joshua 15:44; 1 Samuel 23:1-13
And the sons of Shimon were, Amnon, and Rinnah, Benhanan, and Tilon. And the sons of Ishi were, Zoheth, and Benzoheth.
- Shimon is supposed to have been another son of Mered, by Jehudijah. As this latter name signifies a Jewess, it rather favours the opinion that Bithiah was not a Jewess, but an Egyptian.
The sons of Shelah the son of Judah were, Er the father of Lecah, and Laadah the father of Mareshah, and the families of the house of them that wrought fine linen, of the house of Ashbea,
- 2:3; 9:5; Genesis 38:5; 46:12; Numbers 26:20; Nehemiah 11:5
These were the potters, and those that dwelt among plants and hedges: there they dwelt with the king for his work.
- 14; Psalms 81:6
The sons of Simeon were, Nemuel, and Jamin, Jarib, Zerah, and Shaul:
- The sons of Simeon
- This genealogy differs in many particulars from those in the parallel places; probably being occasioned by the same person's having several names.
- Genesis 46:10; Exodus 6:15
- Numbers 26:12-14
- Genesis 46:10
And Shimei had sixteen sons and six daughters; but his brethren had not many children, neither did all their family multiply, like to the children of Judah.
- like to
- Heb. unto.
- Numbers 2:4,13; 26:14,22
And they dwelt at Beersheba, and Moladah, and Hazarshual,
- Beer-sheba was situated twenty miles south of Hebron, according to Eusebius and Jerome, in whose time it was occupied by a Roman garrison.
- Joshua 15:28,29; 19:2,3,9
- Probably the same as Malatha, so often mentioned by Eusebius; from whom it appears it was situated about twenty miles from Hebron.
And at Bilhah, and at Ezem, and at Tolad,
- Joshua 19:3
- Joshua 19:4
And at Bethuel, and at Hormah, and at Ziklag,
- Joshua 19:4
- 12:1; Joshua 15:31; 19:5; 1 Samuel 27:6; 30:1; Nehemiah 11:28
And at Bethmarcaboth, and Hazarsusim, and at Bethbirei, and at Shaaraim. These were their cities unto the reign of David.
- and Hazar-susim
- Joshua 19:5,6
- Hazar-susah, Beth-lebaoth, Sharuhen
And their villages were, Etam, and Ain, Rimmon, and Tochen, and Ashan, five cities:
- Ether, or Etham, was situated near Malatha, according to Eusebius.
- Joshua 19:7
- Ether, Remmon
- Ashan. Eusebius say Beth-ashan was sixteen miles west of Jerusalem.
And all their villages that were round about the same cities, unto Baal. These were their habitations, and their genealogy.
- Joshua 19:8
- their genealogy. or, as they divided themselves by nations among them.
These mentioned by their names were princes in their families: and the house of their fathers increased greatly.
- mentioned by their names
- Heb. coming by names.
- 5:24; Genesis 6:4
And they went to the entrance of Gedor, even unto the east side of the valley, to seek pasture for their flocks.
- they went
- This expedition of the Simeonites took place in the days of Hezekiah, and, as Calmet conjectures, near the time of the captivity of the ten tribes; when the remnant of Simeon would feel themselves obliged to retire more southward into Arabia Petrĉa, for fear of the Jews, and to seek pasture for their flocks.
- 4,18; Joshua 12:13
- Joshua 15:58
And they found fat pasture and good, and the land was wide, and quiet, and peaceable; for they of Ham had dwelt there of old.
- the land
- Judges 18:7-10
- These were probably either Philistines or Egyptians, who dwelt at Gedor.
- Genesis 9:22-29; 10:6; Psalms 78:51; 105:23
And these written by name came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and smote their tents, and the habitations that were found there, and destroyed them utterly unto this day, and dwelt in their rooms: because there was pasture there for their flocks.
- these written
- 2 Kings 18:8-12; Isaiah 14:28-32
- the habitations
- Or, the Meunnim, or Maonites.
- Judges 10:12; Jeremiah 49:20; Acts 17:26
- Numbers 32:1-4
And some of them, even of the sons of Simeon, five hundred men, went to mount Seir, having for their captains Pelatiah, and Neariah, and Rephaiah, and Uzziel, the sons of Ishi.
- mount Seir
- Genesis 36:8,9; Deuteronomy 1:2
And they smote the rest of the Amalekites that were escaped, and dwelt there unto this day.
- the rest
- That is, those who escaped in the war which Saul, and afterwards David, made against them.
- Exodus 17:14-16; Deuteronomy 25:17-19; 1 Samuel 15:7,8; 30:17; 2 Samuel 8:12
- unto this day
- Deuteronomy 34:6; Judges 1:26; 2 Chronicles 5:9; Jeremiah 44:6; Matthew 27:8; 28:15