The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 6
The sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
- A. M. 2304, etc. B.C. 1700, etc. sons of Levi
- 23:6; Genesis 46:11; Exodus 6:16; Numbers 3:17; 26:57
And the sons of Kohath; Amram, Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel.
- the sons of Kohath
- 23:12; Exodus 6:18,21-24
And the children of Amram; Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam. The sons also of Aaron; Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar.
- 23:13; Exodus 6:20
- Exodus 2:4,7; 15:20; Micah 6:4
- 24:1,2; Exodus 6:23; 24:1; 28:1; Leviticus 10:1,12,16
Eleazar begat Phinehas, Phinehas begat Abishua,
- 50; 9:20; Exodus 6:25; Numbers 25:6-11,13; 31:6; Joshua 22:13,30-32; 24:33; Judges 20:28; Ezra 8:2; Psalms 106:30,31
- Ezra 7:1-5
And Ahitub begat Zadok, and Zadok begat Ahimaaz,
- 2 Samuel 8:17
- 2 Samuel 15:35; 17:15; 20:25; 1 Kings 1:8,34,44; 2:35
- 2 Samuel 15:27,36; 17:17,20; 18:19,22,27-29
And Johanan begat Azariah, (he it is that executed the priest's office in the temple that Solomon built in Jerusalem:)
- A. M. 3244. B.C. 760
- Johanan is supposed to the same as Jehoiada, as he would otherwise not be mentioned.
- 2 Chronicles 26:17-20
- the temple
- Heb. the house. Solomon.
- 1 Kings 6:1-7; 2 Chronicles 3:4
And Azariah begat Amariah, and Amariah begat Ahitub,
- Ezra 7:3
And Ahitub begat Zadok, and Zadok begat Shallum,
- 9:11; Nehemiah 11:11
And Shallum begat Hilkiah, and Hilkiah begat Azariah,
- 2 Kings 22:12-14; 2 Chronicles 34:14-20; 35:8
And Azariah begat Seraiah, and Seraiah begat Jehozadak,
- A. M. 3416. B.C. 588
- Seraiah was carried to Riblah, and there put to death by order of Nebuchadnezzar; so that with him ended the succession of high priests in the first temple.
- 2 Kings 25:18; Ezra 7:1; Nehemiah 11:11; Zechariah 6:11
And Jehozadak went into captivity, when the LORD carried away Judah and Jerusalem by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar.
- Ezra 5:2
- Haggai 1:1,12,14; 2:2
- when the Lord.
- 2 Kings 25:18,21; 2 Chronicles 36:17-21; Jeremiah 39:9; 52:12-15,28
- by the hand
- Exodus 4:13; 2 Kings 14:27; Acts 14:27; Romans 15:18
The sons of Levi; Gershom, Kohath, and Merari.
- A. M. 2304. B.C. 1700, etc. Gershom
- 1; Exodus 6:16
And these be the names of the sons of Gershom; Libni, and Shimei.
- the sons of Gershom
- 23:7; Numbers 3:18,21
- Exodus 6:17
And the sons of Kohath were, Amram, and Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel.
- 2,3; 23:12
The sons of Merari; Mahli, and Mushi. And these are the families of the Levites according to their fathers.
- 23:21; 24:26; Exodus 6:19
- Numbers 3:20; 26:57,58
Of Gershom; Libni his son, Jahath his son, Zimmah his son,
Joah his son, Iddo his son, Zerah his son, Jeaterai his son.
The sons of Kohath; Amminadab his son, Korah his son, Assir his son,
- 2,18; Exodus 6:21,24
Tahath his son, Uriel his son, Uzziah his son, and Shaul his son.
- Zephaniah, Azariah, Joel
And the sons of Elkanah; Amasai, and Ahimoth.
- A. M. 2904, etc. B.C. 1100, etc. Elkanah
- 35,36; Exodus 6:24
As for Elkanah: the sons of Elkanah; Zophai his son, and Nahath his son,
- 35; 1 Samuel 1:1
- 1 Samuel 1:1
Eliab his son, Jeroham his son, Elkanah his son.
- 1 Samuel 1:1
- 1 Samuel 1:1,19,20; Houbigant says that we may here venture to add, "Samuel his son."
And the sons of Samuel; the firstborn Vashni, and Abiah.
- 33; 1 Samuel 8:2
The sons of Merari; Mahli, Libni his son, Shimei his son, Uzza his son,
- 19; Numbers 3:33
And these are they whom David set over the service of song in the house of the LORD, after that the ark had rest.
- A. M. 2962. B.C. 1042. whom David
- 15:16-22,27; 25:1-31
- after that
- 16:1; 2 Samuel 6:17; Psalms 132:8,14
And they ministered before the dwelling place of the tabernacle of the congregation with singing, until Solomon had built the house of the LORD in Jerusalem: and then they waited on their office according to their order.
- they ministered
- 16:4-6,37-42; Psalms 68:24,25
- until Solomon
- 10; 1 Kings 8:6-13
- and then
- 9:33; 25:7-31; 2 Chronicles 29:25-30; 31:2; 35:15; Ezra 3:10,11; 6:18; Nehemiah 11:17-23; 12:27,28,45-47; Psalms 134:1,2; 135:1-3
- waited Heb
- stood. according to their order. This order is specified below.
And these are they that waited with their children. Of the sons of the Kohathites: Heman a singer, the son of Joel, the son of Shemuel,
- 15:17,19; 16:41,42; 25:1-5; 2 Chronicles 5:12; 29:14; Psalms 88:1; *title
- Shemuel. This variation, as well as some others, only exists in the translation; the Hebrew being uniformly ShemuŽl.
- 28; 1 Samuel 1:20,28
The son of Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Eliel, the son of Toah,
The son of Zuph, the son of Elkanah, the son of Mahath, the son of Amasai,
The son of Elkanah, the son of Joel, the son of Azariah, the son of Zephaniah,
- While it is sufficiently evident that many of the variations of the names of persons have arisen from the carelessness of transcribers, or the inattention of translators, and others from a difference (probably dialectical in the pronunciation; it is also evident, that the smae persons, as in these instances, must have had two or more totally distinct names.
- Shaul, Uzziah, Uriel
The son of Tahath, the son of Assir, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah,
- Exodus 6:21-24
- Numbers 16:1-35; 26:10,11; Psalms 42:1; 44:1; 45:1; 49:1; 84:1; 85:1
The son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, the son of Israel.
- Numbers 3:19
And his brother Asaph, who stood on his right hand, even Asaph the son of Berachiah, the son of Shimea,
- his brother
- Asaph is probably called his brother, because he was of the same tribe as Heman; or, perhaps, because he was his companion or associate.
- 15:17-19; 16:7; 25:2; 26:1; 2 Chronicles 5:12; 20:14; 29:13,30; 2 Chronicles 35:15; Ezra 2:41; 3:10; Nehemiah 7:44; 11:17,22; 12:35,46; Psalms 50:1; 73:1; 74:1; 75:1; 76:1; 77:1; 78:1; 79:1; 80:1; *titles; Psalms 81:1; 82:1; 83:1; *titles
The son of Ethni, the son of Zerah, the son of Adaiah,
The son of Ethan, the son of Zimmah, the son of Shimei,
The son of Jahath, the son of Gershom, the son of Levi.
- 1,16,17,20; 23:6; Genesis 46:11; Exodus 2:22; 6:16; Numbers 3:17
And their brethren the sons of Merari stood on the left hand: Ethan the son of Kishi, the son of Abdi, the son of Malluch,
- Psalms 89:1; *title
The son of Mahli, the son of Mushi, the son of Merari, the son of Levi.
- 23:21,28; Exodus 6:19; Numbers 3:20,33-36; 4:42; 7:8; 10:17; Joshua 21:7,34-40
Their brethren also the Levites were appointed unto all manner of service of the tabernacle of the house of God.
- 23:2; 25:1-26; Numbers 3:1-4; 8:5-26; 16:9,10; 18:1-32
But Aaron and his sons offered upon the altar of the burnt offering, and on the altar of incense, and were appointed for all the work of the place most holy, and to make an atonement for Israel, according to all that Moses the servant of God had commanded.
- A. M. 2513. B.C. 1491. Aaron
- Exodus 27:1-8; 30:1-7; Leviticus 1:5,7-9; 8:1-10; 21:1-22; Numbers 16:16-50; Numbers 17:1-13; Deuteronomy 18:1-8; Hebrews 7:11-14
- make an atonement
- Exodus 29:33,36,37; 30:10-16; Leviticus 4:20; Numbers 15:25; 16:46; Job 33:24; *marg:
- Deuteronomy 34:5; Joshua 1:1
And these are the sons of Aaron; Eleazar his son, Phinehas his son, Abishua his son,
- these are, etc
- We have already had a list of these, though more extensive.
- 3-9; 24:1; Exodus 6:23; 28:1; Leviticus 10:16; Numbers 3:4,32; 20:26-28; 27:22; Ezra 7:1-5; 8:33
- 4; 9:20
Zadok his son, Ahimaaz his son.
- 8; 12:28; 23:16; 24:3,31; 1 Samuel 2:35; 2 Samuel 8:17; 15:24-27,35,36; 2 Samuel 17:15-17; 20:25; 1 Kings 1:8,26,34; 2:35; 4:4; Ezekiel 44:15
Now these are their dwelling places throughout their castles in their coasts, of the sons of Aaron, of the families of the Kohathites: for theirs was the lot.
- A. M. 2561. B.C. 1443. these are
- Numbers 35:1-8; Joshua 21:3-8
- Genesis 25:16
- of the families
- Joshua 21:4,5
And they gave them Hebron in the land of Judah, and the suburbs thereof round about it.
- Joshua 14:13; 15:13; 21:11-13; Judges 1:20
And to the sons of Aaron they gave the cities of Judah, namely, Hebron, the city of refuge, and Libnah with her suburbs, and Jattir, and Eshtemoa, with their suburbs,
- the city of refuge
- Numbers 35:13-15; Joshua 20:7-9
- Joshua 10:29; 15:42; 21:13,14
- 4:17; Joshua 15:48
And Hilen with her suburbs, Debir with her suburbs,
- Joshua 15:51; 21:15
- Joshua 10:3,38; 12:13; 15:49
And Ashan with her suburbs, and Bethshemesh with her suburbs:
- It is probable that either Ain, in Joshua, is a mistake for Ashan, or that it was called by both names.
- 4:32; Joshua 15:42; 21:16
- Joshua 15:10; 21:16; 1 Samuel 6:12-19; Jeremiah 43:13
And out of the tribe of Benjamin; Geba with her suburbs, and Alemeth with her suburbs, and Anathoth with her suburbs. All their cities throughout their families were thirteen cities.
- 8:6; Joshua 18:24; 21:17; 1 Samuel 13:3
- Joshua 21:18
- 1 Kings 2:26; Isaiah 10:30; Jeremiah 1:1; 11:23; 37:12
- thirteen cities
- Here there are only eleven enumerated; but two more are added in the book of Joshua, Juttah and Gibeon, which make thirteen. None of the versions give the full number of names, though they all give the whole sum of thirteen; and it is probable that these two cities had been destroyed and lay in ruins when this book was written, and hence were not enumerated.
And unto the sons of Kohath, which were left of the family of that tribe, were cities given out of the half tribe, namely, out of the half tribe of Manasseh, by lot, ten cities.
- And unto
- 66; Joshua 21:4,5,20-26
And to the sons of Gershom throughout their families out of the tribe of Issachar, and out of the tribe of Asher, and out of the tribe of Naphtali, and out of the tribe of Manasseh in Bashan, thirteen cities.
- 71-76; Exodus 2:22; Joshua 21:27-33
Unto the sons of Merari were given by lot, throughout their families, out of the tribe of Reuben, and out of the tribe of Gad, and out of the tribe of Zebulun, twelve cities.
- 77-81; Genesis 46:11; Numbers 3:20; Joshua 21:7,34-40
And the children of Israel gave to the Levites these cities with their suburbs.
- the children
- Joshua 21:41,42
- with their
- Numbers 35:2-5
And they gave by lot out of the tribe of the children of Judah, and out of the tribe of the children of Simeon, and out of the tribe of the children of Benjamin, these cities, which are called by their names.
- these cities
And they gave unto them, of the cities of refuge, Shechem in mount Ephraim with her suburbs; they gave also Gezer with her suburbs,
- Genesis 33:18; 35:4; Joshua 20:7; 21:21
- Joshua 12:12; 16:3,10; 21:21; 1 Kings 9:16
And Jokmeam with her suburbs, and Bethhoron with her suburbs,
- Joshua 21:22
- Joshua 10:11; 16:5; 1 Samuel 13:18
And Aijalon with her suburbs, and Gathrimmon with her suburbs:
- Joshua 10:12
- Joshua 21:24
- Joshua 21:24,25
And out of the half tribe of Manasseh; Aner with her suburbs, and Bileam with her suburbs, for the family of the remnant of the sons of Kohath.
- Aner is probably another name of Tanach, which was a city of the half tribe of Manasseh, west of Jordan; and Eusebius, Jerome, and Procopius of Gaza, say that it was in their time a considerable place, three miles from Legio.
- Joshua 21:25
- Tanach, Gath-rimmon
- Joshua 17:11
Unto the sons of Gershom were given out of the family of the half tribe of Manasseh, Golan in Bashan with her suburbs, and Ashtaroth with her suburbs:
- Deuteronomy 4:43; Joshua 20:8; 21:27
- Deuteronomy 1:4; Joshua 9:10; 21:27
And out of the tribe of Issachar; Kedesh with her suburbs, Daberath with her suburbs,
- Joshua 19:37; 21:32; Judges 4:9
- Joshua 21:28,29
- Kishon, Daberah, Jarmuth, En-gannim
And out of the tribe of Asher; Mashal with her suburbs, and Abdon with her suburbs,
- Joshua 19:26; 21:30
And Hukok with her suburbs, and Rehob with her suburbs:
- Joshua 21:31
And out of the tribe of Naphtali; Kedesh in Galilee with her suburbs, and Hammon with her suburbs, and Kirjathaim with her suburbs.
- Joshua 12:22; 19:37; 20:7; 21:32; Judges 4:6
- Joshua 21:32
- Hammoth-dor, Kartan
Unto the rest of the children of Merari were given out of the tribe of Zebulun, Rimmon with her suburbs, Tabor with her suburbs:
- Joshua 21:34,35
- Jokneam, Kartah, Dimnah, Nahalal
- Probably the city on the summit of Tabor, mentioned by Polybius and Josephus, the remains of which still exist.
And on the other side Jordan by Jericho, on the east side of Jordan, were given them out of the tribe of Reuben, Bezer in the wilderness with her suburbs, and Jahzah with her suburbs,
- Deuteronomy 4:41-43; Joshua 20:8; 21:36
- Joshua 21:36,37
And out of the tribe of Gad; Ramoth in Gilead with her suburbs, and Mahanaim with her suburbs,
- 73; Joshua 21:38,39; 1 Kings 22:3-28; 2 Kings 9:1
- Genesis 32:2; Joshua 21:38; 2 Samuel 17:24,27; 19:32
And Heshbon with her suburbs, and Jazer with her suburbs.
- Numbers 21:25; 32:37; Deuteronomy 2:24; Joshua 13:26; Nehemiah 9:22; Song of Solomon 7:4
- Numbers 32:1,3; Joshua 13:25; 21:39