The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 5
And Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants unto Solomon; for he had heard that they had anointed him king in the room of his father: for Hiram was ever a lover of David.
- A. M. 2990. B.C. 1014. An. Ex. Is. 477. Hiram
- 10,13; 9:12-14; 2 Chronicles 2:3
- 2 Samuel 8:10; 10:1,2; Psalms 45:12
- for Hiram
- 2 Samuel 5:11; 1 Chronicles 14:1; Amos 1:9
And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,
- 2 Chronicles 2:3
Thou knowest how that David my father could not build an house unto the name of the LORD his God for the wars which were about him on every side, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.
- could not
- 2 Samuel 7:5-11; 1 Chronicles 22:4-6; 2 Chronicles 6:6-8
- the wars
- 1 Chronicles 22:8; 28:3
- Joshua 10:24; Psalms 8:6; 110:1; Malachi 4:3; 1 Corinthians 15:25; Ephesians 1:22
But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.
- hath given
- 4:24; 1 Chronicles 22:9; Psalms 72:7; Isaiah 9:7; Acts 9:31
And, behold, I purpose to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God, as the LORD spake unto David my father, saying, Thy son, whom I will set upon thy throne in thy room, he shall build an house unto my name.
- 2 Chronicles 2:1-4,5-8
- Heb. say. as the Lord.
- 2 Samuel 7:12,13; 1 Chronicles 17:12; 22:10; 28:6,10; Zechariah 6:12,13
Now therefore command thou that they hew me cedar trees out of Lebanon; and my servants shall be with thy servants: and unto thee will I give hire for thy servants according to all that thou shalt appoint: for thou knowest that there is not among us any that can skill to hew timber like unto the Sidonians.
- cedar trees
- 6:9,10,16,20; 2 Chronicles 2:8,10; Psalms 29:5
- will I give hire
- Romans 12:17; Philippians 4:8
- Heb. say. that there is not.
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-21; Ephesians 4:7
- Genesis 10:15; Ezra 3:7
And it came to pass, when Hiram heard the words of Solomon, that he rejoiced greatly, and said, Blessed be the LORD this day, which hath given unto David a wise son over this great people.
- 10:9; 2 Chronicles 2:11,12; 9:7,8; Psalms 122:6,7; 137:6
- which hath
- 1:48; Genesis 33:5; Isaiah 8:18; 9:6
- a wise son
- 3:9; 2 Chronicles 2:11; Proverbs 10:1; 13:1; 15:20; 23:24
And Hiram sent to Solomon, saying, I have considered the things which thou sentest to me for: and I will do all thy desire concerning timber of cedar, and concerning timber of fir.
- Heb. heard. timber of fir.
- 6:15,34; 2 Samuel 6:5; 2 Chronicles 3:5
My servants shall bring them down from Lebanon unto the sea: and I will convey them by sea in floats unto the place that thou shalt appoint me, and will cause them to be discharged there, and thou shalt receive them: and thou shalt accomplish my desire, in giving food for my household.
- Deuteronomy 3:25
- and I will
- 2 Chronicles 2:16
- Heb. send. in giving food.
- 2 Chronicles 1:15; Ezra 3:7; Ezekiel 27:17; Acts 12:20
And Solomon gave Hiram twenty thousand measures of wheat for food to his household, and twenty measures of pure oil: thus gave Solomon to Hiram year by year.
- Heb. cors.
- 4:22; *marg:; 2 Chronicles 2:10
- twenty measures
- "Twenty thousand baths of oil" are mentioned in Chronicles; and the Syriac, Arabic, and Septuagint also have here "twenty thousand measures." But as barley and wine are also spoken of there, it is probable that the wheat mentioned here, and the small quantity of fine oil, were intended for the use of Hiram's own family, while that in Chronicles was for his workmen.
And the LORD gave Solomon wisdom, as he promised him: and there was peace between Hiram and Solomon; and they two made a league together.
- as he promised him
- 3:12; 4:29; 2 Chronicles 1:12; James 1:5
- they two
- 15:19; Genesis 21:32; Amos 1:9
And king Solomon raised a levy out of all Israel; and the levy was thirty thousand men.
- Heb. tribute of men.
- the levy
And he sent them to Lebanon, ten thousand a month by courses: a month they were in Lebanon, and two months at home: and Adoniram was over the levy.
- a month
- 4:7-19; 1 Chronicles 27:1-15
And Solomon had threescore and ten thousand that bare burdens, and fourscore thousand hewers in the mountains;
- These were all strangers, or proselytes, dwelling among the Israelites, as we learn from the paralled place in 2 Chron.
- 9:20-22; 2 Chronicles 2:17,18; 8:7-9; Ezra 2:58; Nehemiah 7:57,60
Beside the chief of Solomon's officers which were over the work, three thousand and three hundred, which ruled over the people that wrought in the work.
- three thousand
- In the parallel passage of Chronicles, it is "three thousand six hundred," which is also the reading of the Septuagint here.
- 9:23; 2 Chronicles 2:2
And the king commanded, and they brought great stones, costly stones, and hewed stones, to lay the foundation of the house.
- costly stones
- 6:7; 7:9; 1 Chronicles 22:2; Isaiah 28:16; 1 Corinthians 3:11,12; 1 Peter 2:6,7; Revelation 21:14-21
And Solomon's builders and Hiram's builders did hew them, and the stonesquarers: so they prepared timber and stones to build the house.
- the stone-squarers
- or, Giblites.
- Joshua 13:5; Psalms 83:7; Ezekiel 27:9