The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 9
And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished the building of the house of the LORD, and the king's house, and all Solomon's desire which he was pleased to do,
- A. M. 3013. B.C. 991. it came
- 6:37,38; 7:1,51; 2 Chronicles 7:11-22
- the house
- 2 Chronicles 8:1-6; Ecclesiastes 2:4
- all Solomon's
- 11,19; Ecclesiastes 2:10; 6:9
That the LORD appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared unto him at Gibeon.
- as he
- 3:5; 11:9; 2 Chronicles 1:7-12; 7:12
And the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.
- I have heard
- 2 Kings 20:5; Psalms 10:17; 66:19; 116:1; Daniel 9:23; John 11:42; Acts 10:31; 1 John 5:14
- I have hallowed
- 8:10,11; Exodus 20:11; Numbers 16:38; Matthew 6:9
- to put
- 8:29; Deuteronomy 12:5,11,21; 16:11
- mine eyes
- Deuteronomy 11:12; 2 Chronicles 6:40; 7:15,16; Psalms 132:13,14; Song of Solomon 4:9,10; Jeremiah 15:1
And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments:
- And if thou
- 3:14; 8:25; 11:4,6,38; 14:8; 15:5; Genesis 17:1; Deuteronomy 28:1; 2 Chronicles 7:17,18; Job 23:11,12; Psalms 15:2; 26:1,11; Proverbs 20:7; Zechariah 3:7; Luke 1:6; 1 Thessalonians 4:1,2
- in integrity
- Proverbs 10:9; 28:18
Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.
- I will establish
- 2:4; 6:12; 8:15,20; 2 Samuel 7:12,16; 1 Chronicles 22:9,10; Psalms 89:28-39; Psalms 132:11,12
But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
- if ye
- 1 Samuel 2:30; 2 Samuel 7:14-16; 1 Chronicles 28:9; 2 Chronicles 7:19-22; 15:2
- 11:4-10; Joshua 23:15,16
Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:
- will I cut
- Leviticus 18:24-28; Deuteronomy 4:26; 29:26-28; 2 Kings 17:20-23; 25:9,21; Jeremiah 7:15; Jeremiah 24:9; Ezekiel 33:27-29; Luke 21:24
- this house
- 3; 2 Kings 25:9; 2 Chronicles 7:20; 36:19; Jeremiah 7:4-14; 26:6,18; 52:13; Lamentations 2:6,7; Ezekiel 24:21; Micah 3:12; Matthew 24:2; Luke 21:24
- and Israel
- Deuteronomy 28:37; Nehemiah 4:1-4; Psalms 44:14; Isaiah 65:15; Jeremiah 24:9; Lamentations 2:15,16; Joel 2:17
And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and to this house?
- 2 Chronicles 7:21; Isaiah 64:11; Jeremiah 19:8; 49:17; 50:13; Daniel 9:12
- Deuteronomy 29:24-26; Jeremiah 22:8,9,28
And they shall answer, Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them: therefore hath the LORD brought upon them all this evil.
- Deuteronomy 29:25-28; 2 Chronicles 7:22; Jeremiah 2:10-13,19; 5:19; 16:10-13; 50:7; Lamentations 2:16,17; 4:13-15; Ezekiel 36:17-20; Zephaniah 1:4,5
- Jeremiah 12:7,8
And it came to pass at the end of twenty years, when Solomon had built the two houses, the house of the LORD, and the king's house,
- at the end of twenty
- 1; 6:37,38; 7:1; 2 Chronicles 8:1-18
(Now Hiram the king of Tyre had furnished Solomon with cedar trees and fir trees, and with gold, according to all his desire,) that then king Solomon gave Hiram twenty cities in the land of Galilee.
- Now Hiram
- 5:6-10; 2 Chronicles 2:8-10,16
- king Solomon
- 2 Chronicles 8:2
- of Galilee
- Joshua 20:7
And Hiram came out from Tyre to see the cities which Solomon had given him; and they pleased him not.
- they pleased him not
- Heb. were not right in his eyes.
- Numbers 22:34; Judges 14:3; *margins
And he said, What cities are these which thou hast given me, my brother? And he called them the land of Cabul unto this day.
- my brother
- 5:1,2; Amos 1:9
- that is, Displeasing, or dirty. Josephus says that Cabul, in the Phoenician language, signifies [ouk areskon] displeasing; and that these cities were situated in the neighbourhood of Tyre. Most commentators are persuaded that the city Cabul in the tribe of Asher was one; and probably from this Hiram took occasion to give this name to all the other cities which Solomon had ceded to him.
- Joshua 19:27
And Hiram sent to the king sixscore talents of gold.
- 11,28; 10:10,14,21
And this is the reason of the levy which king Solomon raised; for to build the house of the LORD, and his own house, and Millo, and the wall of Jerusalem, and Hazor, and Megiddo, and Gezer.
- A. M. 2989-3029. B.C. 1015-975. the reason
- 21; 5:13
- to build
- 10; 6:38; 7:1; 2 Chronicles 8:1
- Millo is said to have been a deep valley, between the ancient city of Jebus and the city of David on mount Zion. This Solomon filled up, and built upon; and it became a fortified place, and a place for public assemblies.
- 24; 11:27; Judges 9:6,20; 2 Samuel 5:9; 2 Kings 12:20
- the wall
- Psalms 51:18
- Probably the city Hazor in Naphtali, and the famous capital of Jabin, situated in the lake Merom or Semechon, and placed by Josephus south of Tyre, near Ptolemais.
- Joshua 11:1; 19:36; Judges 4:2; 2 Kings 15:29
- 4:12; Joshua 17:11; Judges 5:19; 2 Kings 9:27; 23:29,30; 2 Chronicles 35:22; Zechariah 12:11
- 16,17; Joshua 10:33; 16:10; 21:21; Judges 1:29; 1 Chronicles 6:67; 20:4
For Pharaoh king of Egypt had gone up, and taken Gezer, and burnt it with fire, and slain the Canaanites that dwelt in the city, and given it for a present unto his daughter, Solomon's wife.
- 24; 3:1
And Solomon built Gezer, and Bethhoron the nether,
- Joshua 16:3; 19:44; 21:22; 2 Chronicles 8:4-6,7-18
And Baalath, and Tadmor in the wilderness, in the land,
- Joshua 19:44
- 2 Chronicles 8:4
And all the cities of store that Solomon had, and cities for his chariots, and cities for his horsemen, and that which Solomon desired to build in Jerusalem, and in Lebanon, and in all the land of his dominion.
- the cities of store
- 4:26-28; Exodus 1:11
- that which Solomon desired
- Heb. the desire of Solomon which he desired.
- 1; Ecclesiastes 2:10; 6:9
And all the people that were left of the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites, which were not of the children of Israel,
- 2 Chronicles 8:7,8-18
- Genesis 15:19-21; Exodus 23:23,28-33; 34:11,12; Deuteronomy 7:1-3
Their children that were left after them in the land, whom the children of Israel also were not able utterly to destroy, upon those did Solomon levy a tribute of bondservice unto this day.
- Judges 1:21,27-35; 2:20-23; 3:1-4; Psalms 106:34-36
- Joshua 15:63; 17:12,16-18
- 15; 5:13; Judges 1:28,35
- He made them do the most laborious parts of the public works, the Israelites being exempt from all but the more honourable employments.
- Genesis 9:25,26; Ezra 2:55-58; Nehemiah 7:57; 11:3
But of the children of Israel did Solomon make no bondmen: but they were men of war, and his servants, and his princes, and his captains, and rulers of his chariots, and his horsemen.
- of the children
- Leviticus 25:39
- but they were men
- 4:1-27; 1 Samuel 8:11,12; 2 Chronicles 8:9,10
These were the chief of the officers that were over Solomon's work, five hundred and fifty, which bare rule over the people that wrought in the work.
- 5:16; 2 Chronicles 2:18; 8:10
But Pharaoh's daughter came up out of the city of David unto her house which Solomon had built for her: then did he build Millo.
- 16; 3:1; 7:8; 2 Chronicles 8:11
- the city of David
- 2 Samuel 5:9
- 15; 11:27; 2 Chronicles 32:5
And three times in a year did Solomon offer burnt offerings and peace offerings upon the altar which he built unto the LORD, and he burnt incense upon the altar that was before the LORD. So he finished the house.
- three times
- Exodus 23:14-17; 34:23; Deuteronomy 16:16; 2 Chronicles 8:12,13
- he burnt
- Exodus 30:7; 1 Chronicles 23:13; 2 Chronicles 26:16-21; 29:11; 34:25
- upon the altar that was before
- Heb. upon it which was before. So he finished the house.
- 6:38; 2 Chronicles 8:16
And king Solomon made a navy of ships in Eziongeber, which is beside Eloth, on the shore of the Red sea, in the land of Edom.
- made a navy
- 2 Chronicles 8:12,17,18-11
- 22:48; Numbers 33:35; Deuteronomy 2:8
- 2 Kings 14:22
- Heb. lip.
And Hiram sent in the navy his servants, shipmen that had knowledge of the sea, with the servants of Solomon.
- his servants
- 5:6,9; 22:49; 2 Chronicles 20:36,37
And they came to Ophir, and fetched from thence gold, four hundred and twenty talents, and brought it to king Solomon.
- 10:11; Genesis 10:29; 1 Chronicles 29:4; 2 Chronicles 8:18; 9:10; Job 22:24; 28:16; Psalms 45:9; Isaiah 13:12
- four hundred
- 2 Chronicles 8:18