The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 17
And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.
- A. M. 3094. B.C. 910. Elijah. Heb. Elijahu
- Matthew 11:14; 16:14; 27:47,49; Luke 1:17; 4:25,26; 9:30,33,54; John 1:21,25; Romans 11:2
- As the Lord God.
- 22:14; 2 Kings 3:14; 5:16; Isaiah 49:18; Matthew 7:29; Luke 1:17
- before whom
- Deuteronomy 10:8; Jeremiah 15:19; Luke 1:19; 21:36; Acts 27:23
- dew nor rain
- Luke 4:25; James 5:17; Revelation 11:6
And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying,
- 12:22; 1 Chronicles 17:3; Jeremiah 7:1; 11:1; 18:1; Hosea 1:1,2
Get thee hence, and turn thee eastward, and hide thyself by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.
- hide thyself
- 22:25; Psalms 31:20; 83:3; Jeremiah 36:19,26; John 8:59; Acts 17:14; Hebrews 11:38; Revelation 12:6,14
And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there.
- I have commanded
- 9; 19:5-8; Numbers 20:8; Job 34:29; 38:8-13,41; Psalms 33:8,9; 147:9; Amos 9:3,4; Matthew 4:4,11
So he went and did according unto the word of the LORD: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.
- did according
- 19:9; Proverbs 3:5; Matthew 16:24; John 15:14; Many learned men have raised doubts on those parts of the Inspired Word, which may, by the perverseness of their argument and the ingenuity of their surmise, be made to appear inconsistent with fact. In this case, they are not satisfied with being expressly told by God that the ravens supplied Elijah with food, while the brook gave him drink, but apparently to mystify a manifest miracle, they suggest whether these ravens might not be merchantmen, or the inhabitants of a neighbouring town. Let any unprejudiced reader and lover of the Bible take the whole history of Elijah, and he will find that his life was almost a daily illustration of the power of God in his miraculous interpositions. Instance the supply of provision in the unwasting barrel of meal and cruse of oil, after the prophet had removed to Zarephath: the power communicated to him to raise the widow's son from death: the wonderful interposition of the Lord to prove the folly of Baal's worshippers, in sending down fire from heaven to consume Elijah's sacrifice and lick up the water, although the sacrifice had been saturated therewith, and the altar surrounded by a deep trench to prevent its running away. The prayer for rain is another instance: the sojourn in Horeb forty days and forty nights, after having eaten of the cake: the destruction of Ahaziah's messengers twice: the smiting of the waters at Jordan: the fall of the mantle on Elisha: and finally, in the closing scene of life, he was taken to glory without tasting the pains of death, the sting was taken away.
And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook.
- the ravens
- Exodus 16:35; Numbers 11:23; Judges 14:14; 15:18,19; Psalms 34:9,10; 37:3,19; Psalms 78:15,16,23,24; Isaiah 33:16; Jeremiah 37:21; 40:4; Habakkuk 3:17,18; Matthew 6:31-33; 14:19-21; 19:26; Luke 22:35; Hebrews 6:18; 13:5,6
And it came to pass after a while, that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land.
- A. M. 3095. B.C. 909. after a while. Heb. at the end of days. the brook
- Isaiah 40:30,31; 54:10
And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying,
- the word
- 2; Genesis 22:14; Isaiah 41:17; Hebrews 13:6
Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.
- Obadiah 1:20; Luke 4:26
- which belongeth.
- Matthew 15:21,22
- widow woman
- 4; Judges 7:2,4; Romans 4:17-21; 2 Corinthians 4:7
So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.
- Fetch me
- Genesis 21:15; 24:17; John 4:7; 2 Corinthians 11:27; Hebrews 11:37
And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand.
- as she was going
- Genesis 24:18,19; Matthew 10:42; 25:35-40; Hebrews 13:2
- a morsel
- 9; 18:4; Genesis 18:5
And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.
- As the Lord
- 1; 1 Samuel 14:39,45; 20:3,21; 25:26; 26:10; 2 Samuel 15:21; Jeremiah 4:2; 5:2
- but an handful
- 2 Kings 4:2-7; Matthew 15:33,34
- that we may eat it
- Genesis 21:16; Jeremiah 14:18; Lamentations 4:9; Ezekiel 12:18,19; Joel 1:15,16
And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.
- Fear not
- Exodus 14:13; 2 Kings 6:16; 2 Chronicles 20:17; Isaiah 41:10,13; Matthew 28:5; Acts 27:24
- make me thereof
- Genesis 22:1,2; Judges 7:5-7; Matthew 19:21,22; Hebrews 11:17; 1 Peter 1:7
- Proverbs 3:9; Malachi 3:10; Matthew 6:33; 10:37
For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.
- thus saith
- 2 Kings 3:16; 7:1; 9:6
- The barrel of meal
- 4; 2 Kings 4:2-7,42-44; Matthew 14:17-20; 15:36-38
- Heb. giveth.
And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.
- did according
- Genesis 6:22; 12:4; 22:3; 2 Chronicles 20:20; Matthew 15:28; Mark 12:43; John 11:40; Romans 4:19,20; Hebrews 11:7,8,17
- many days
- or, a full year.
And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.
- the barrel
- Matthew 9:28-30; 19:26; Luke 1:37,45; John 4:50,51
- by Elijah
- Heb. by the hand of Elijah.
And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him.
- A. M. 3096. B.C. 908. the son of the woman
- Genesis 22:1,2; 2 Kings 4:18-20; Zechariah 12:10; John 11:3,4,14; James 1:2-4,12; 1 Peter 1:7; 4:12
- that there was
- Job 12:10; 34:14; Psalms 104:29; Daniel 5:23; James 2:26; *marg:
And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son?
- What have I
- 2 Samuel 16:10; 19:22; 2 Kings 3:13; 2 Chronicles 35:21; Luke 4:34; 5:8; 8:28; John 2:4
- O thou man
- art thou come
- 18:9; Genesis 42:21,22; 50:15,17; 1 Samuel 16:4; Job 13:23,26; Ezekiel 21:23,24; Mark 5:7,15-17; 6:16
And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed.
- into a loft
- 2 Kings 4:10,21,32; Acts 9:37
And he cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?
- he cried
- 18:36,37; Exodus 17:4; 1 Samuel 7:8,9; 2 Kings 19:4,15; Psalms 99:6; Matthew 21:22; James 5:15-18
- hast thou also
- Genesis 18:23-25; Joshua 7:8,9; Psalms 73:13,14; Jeremiah 12:1
And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
- stretched himself
- Heb. measured himself.
- 2 Kings 4:33-35; Acts 10:10
- O Lord my God
- Acts 9:40; Hebrews 11:19
And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.
- into him
- Heb. into his inward parts. and he revived.
- Deuteronomy 32:39; 1 Samuel 2:6; 2 Kings 13:21; Luke 8:54; John 5:28,29; 11:43; Acts 20:12; Romans 14:9; Revelation 11:11
And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth.
- See, thy son liveth
- 2 Kings 4:36,37; Luke 7:15; Acts 9:41; Hebrews 11:35
And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in thy mouth is truth.
- Now by this
- John 2:11; 3:2; 4:42-48; 11:15,42; 15:24; 16:30
- the word
- Ecclesiastes 12:10; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 John 2:21