The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 24
And it came to pass, when Saul was returned from following the Philistines, that it was told him, saying, Behold, David is in the wilderness of Engedi.
- when Saul
- Heb. after. it was told.
- 23:19; Proverbs 25:5; 29:12; Ezekiel 22:9; Hosea 7:3
- the wilderness
Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and went to seek David and his men upon the rocks of the wild goats.
- Saul took
- and went
- Psalms 37:32; 38:12
- the rocks
- Psalms 104:18; 141:6
And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet: and David and his men remained in the sides of the cave.
- the sheepcotes
- Caves in the rocks, in which it is still common for shepherds and their flocks to lodge. Dr. Pococke observes, "Beyond the valley [of Tekoa] there is a very large grotto, which the Arabs call El-Maamah, a hiding place: the high rocks on each side of the valley are almost perpendicular; and the way to the grotto is by a terrace formed in the rock, which is very narrow. There are two entrances into it; we went by the farthest, which leads by a narrow passage into a very large grotto, the rock being supported by natural pillars; the top of it rises in several places like domes; the grotto is perfectly dry. There is a tradition, that the people of the country, to the number of 30,000, retired into this grotto, to avoid a bad air. This place is so strong, that one would imagine it to be one of the strong holds of En-gedi, to which David and his men fled from Saul: and possibly it may be that very cave in which he cut off Saul's skirt; for David and his men might, with good ease, lie hid there and not be seen by him." Travels, vol. ii. P. 1. p. 41.
- and Saul
- Psalms 141:6
- to cover
- Judges 3:24
- Psalms 57:1; 142:1; *titles
And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily.
- the men
- 26:8-11; 2 Samuel 4:8; Job 31:31
- I will deliver
- 10,18; 23:7; 26:23
- Saul's robe
- Heb. the robe which was Saul's.
And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt.
- David's heart
- 2 Samuel 12:9; 24:10; 2 Kings 22:19; 1 John 3:20,21
And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD'S anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.
- the Lord forbid
- 26:9-11; 2 Samuel 1:14; 1 Kings 21:3; Job 31:29,30; Matthew 5:44; Romans 12:14-21; Romans 13:1,2; 1 Thessalonians 5:15
So David stayed his servants with these words, and suffered them not to rise against Saul. But Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way.
- Heb. cut off.
- Psalms 7:4; Matthew 5:44; Romans 12:17-21
David also arose afterward, and went out of the cave, and cried after Saul, saying, My lord the king. And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with his face to the earth, and bowed himself.
- My lord
- David stooped
- 20:41; 25:23,24; Genesis 17:3; Exodus 20:12; Romans 13:7; 1 Peter 2:17
And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men's words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt?
- 26:19; Leviticus 19:16; Psalms 101:5; 141:6; Proverbs 16:28; 17:4; 18:8; 25:23; Proverbs 26:20-22,28; 29:12; Ecclesiastes 7:21,22; James 3:6
Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD'S anointed.
- bade me
- 4; 26:8
- the Lord's
- 26:9; Psalms 105:15
Moreover, my father, see, yea, see the skirt of thy robe in my hand: for in that I cut off the skirt of thy robe, and killed thee not, know thou and see that there is neither evil nor transgression in mine hand, and I have not sinned against thee; yet thou huntest my soul to take it.
- my father
- 18:27; 2 Kings 5:13; Proverbs 15:1
- neither evil
- 26:18; Psalms 7:3,4; 35:7; John 15:25
- thou huntest
- 23:14,23; 26:20; Job 10:16; Psalms 140:11; Lamentations 4:18; Ezekiel 13:18; Micah 7:2
The LORD judge between me and thee, and the LORD avenge me of thee: but mine hand shall not be upon thee.
- Lord judge
- 26:10,23; Genesis 16:5; Judges 11:27; Job 5:8; Psalms 7:8,9; 35:1; 43:1; 94:1; Romans 12:19; 1 Peter 2:23; Revelation 6:10
- but mine hand
As saith the proverb of the ancients, Wickedness proceedeth from the wicked: but mine hand shall not be upon thee.
- Matthew 7:16-18; 12:33,34; 15:19
After whom is the king of Israel come out? after whom dost thou pursue? after a dead dog, after a flea.
- the king
- 2 Samuel 6:20; 1 Kings 21:7
- a dead dog
- 17:43; 2 Samuel 3:8; 9:8; 16:9
- a flea
- 26:20; Judges 8:1-3
The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand.
- be judge
- 12; 2 Chronicles 24:22; Micah 1:2
- Psalms 35:1; 43:1; 119:154; Micah 7:9
- Heb. judge.
And it came to pass, when David had made an end of speaking these words unto Saul, that Saul said, Is this thy voice, my son David? And Saul lifted up his voice, and wept.
- Is this
- 26:17; Job 6:25; Proverbs 15:1; 25:11; Luke 21:15; Acts 6:10
- Saul lifted
- Genesis 33:4
And he said to David, Thou art more righteous than I: for thou hast rewarded me good, whereas I have rewarded thee evil.
- Thou art
- 26:21; Genesis 38:26; Exodus 9:27; Psalms 37:6; Matthew 27:4
- thou hast
- Matthew 5:44; Romans 12:20,21
And thou hast shewed this day how that thou hast dealt well with me: forasmuch as when the LORD had delivered me into thine hand, thou killedst me not.
- 10; 23:7; 26:23
- delivered me
- Heb. shut me up.
- 23:12; 26:8; *margins; Psalms 31:8
For if a man find his enemy, will he let him go well away? wherefore the LORD reward thee good for that thou hast done unto me this day.
- the Lord
- 23:21; 26:25; Judges 17:2; Psalms 18:20; Proverbs 25:21,22
And now, behold, I know well that thou shalt surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in thine hand.
- I know well
- 20:30,31; 23:17; 2 Samuel 3:17,18; Job 15:25; Matthew 2:3-6,13,16
Swear now therefore unto me by the LORD, that thou wilt not cut off my seed after me, and that thou wilt not destroy my name out of my father's house.
- 20:14-17; Genesis 21:23; 31:48,53; Hebrews 6:16
- that thou
- 2 Samuel 21:6-8
And David sware unto Saul. And Saul went home; but David and his men gat them up unto the hold.
- David and
- Proverbs 26:24,25; Matthew 10:16,17; John 2:24
- the hold