The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 2
And Solomon determined to build an house for the name of the LORD, and an house for his kingdom.
- 1 Kings 5:5
- for the name
- Deuteronomy 12:5,11; 28:58; 1 Kings 8:18,20; 1 Chronicles 22:10; Matthew 6:9,10
- an house
- 1 Kings 7:1; 9:1
And Solomon told out threescore and ten thousand men to bear burdens, and fourscore thousand to hew in the mountain, and three thousand and six hundred to oversee them.
- told out threescore
- 18; 1 Kings 5:15,16
And Solomon sent to Huram the king of Tyre, saying, As thou didst deal with David my father, and didst send him cedars to build him an house to dwell therein, even so deal with me.
- 1 Kings 5:1
- As thou didst.
- 2 Samuel 5:11; 1 Chronicles 14:1
Behold, I build an house to the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him sweet incense, and for the continual shewbread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance for ever to Israel.
- 1; 1 Kings 8:18
- to dedicate
- 1 Kings 8:63
- to burn
- Exodus 30:7
- sweet incense
- Heb. incense of spices. the continual.
- Exodus 25:30; Leviticus 24:5-9
- the burnt
- Exodus 29:38-42; Numbers 28:3,4,9-11
- the solemn feasts
- Leviticus 23:1-17; Numbers 28:1-29
And the house which I build is great: for great is our God above all gods.
- 9; 1 Kings 9:8; 1 Chronicles 29:1; Ezekiel 7:20
- great is our God
- Exodus 15:11; 1 Chronicles 16:25; Psalms 86:8,9; 135:5; 145:3; Jeremiah 10:6; 1 Timothy 6:15
But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? who am I then, that I should build him an house, save only to burn sacrifice before him?
- But who
- 6:18; 1 Kings 8:27; Isaiah 66:1; Acts 7:48,49
- is able
- Heb. hath returned, or obtained strength. who am I then.
- 1:10; Exodus 3:11; 2 Samuel 7:18; 1 Chronicles 29:14; 2 Corinthians 2:16; Ephesians 3:8
- save only
- Deuteronomy 12:5,6,11,14,26
Send me now therefore a man cunning to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, and in iron, and in purple, and crimson, and blue, and that can skill to grave with the cunning men that are with me in Judah and in Jerusalem, whom David my father did provide.
- Exodus 31:3-5; 1 Kings 7:14; Isaiah 28:26,29; 60:10
- to grave
- Heb. to grave gravings. whom David.
- 1 Chronicles 22:15,16
Send me also cedar trees, fir trees, and algum trees, out of Lebanon: for I know that thy servants can skill to cut timber in Lebanon; and, behold, my servants shall be with thy servants,
- Send me also
- 1 Kings 5:6
- algum trees
- or, algummim. Called in the parallel passage, by a transposition of letters, almuggim, or "almug-trees;" which is rendered by the Vulgate, ligna thyina, the thya or lignum vitŠ wood. Theophrastus say that "the thyon of thya tree grows near the temple of Jupiter Ammon (in Africa), and in the Cyrenaica; that it resembles the cypress in its boughs, leaves, stalk, and fruit; and that its wood (from its close texture) never rots." The LXX. render here [peukina;] and Josephus calls it [xyla peukina] torch or pine-trees; but cautions us against supposing that the wood was like what was known in his time by that name; for these "were to the sight like the wood of the fig-tree, but more white and shining." The Syriac version has kaiso dekee-sotho, probably cypress wood; and Dr. Shaw supposes it denotes the cypress. Several critics understand it to mean gummy wood; and Celsius queries whether it may not be the sandal-tree, as the Rabbins and Dr. Geddes suppose.
- 1 Kings 10:11
Even to prepare me timber in abundance: for the house which I am about to build shall be wonderful great.
- wonderful great
- Heb. great and wonderful.
- 5; 7:21; 1 Kings 9:8
And, behold, I will give to thy servants, the hewers that cut timber, twenty thousand measures of beaten wheat, and twenty thousand measures of barley, and twenty thousand baths of wine, and twenty thousand baths of oil.
- I will give
- 1 Kings 5:11; Luke 10:7; Romans 13:7,8
- baths of wine
- 1 Kings 7:26,38; Ezra 7:22
Then Huram the king of Tyre answered in writing, which he sent to Solomon, Because the LORD hath loved his people, he hath made thee king over them.
- 9:8; Deuteronomy 7:7,8; 1 Kings 10:9; Psalms 72:17
Huram said moreover, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, that made heaven and earth, who hath given to David the king a wise son, endued with prudence and understanding, that might build an house for the LORD, and an house for his kingdom.
- 1 Kings 5:7; 1 Chronicles 29:20; Psalms 72:18,19; Luke 1:68; 1 Peter 1:3
- that made heaven
- Genesis 1:1-2; Psalms 33:6; 102:5; 124:8; 136:5,6; 146:5,6; Jeremiah 10:10; Acts 4:24; 14:15; Colossians 1:16,17; Revelation 4:11; 10:6
- endued, etc
- Heb. knowing prudence and understanding.
- an house
And now I have sent a cunning man, endued with understanding, of Huram my father's,
- of Huram
The son of a woman of the daughters of Dan, and his father was a man of Tyre, skilful to work in gold, and in silver, in brass, in iron, in stone, and in timber, in purple, in blue, and in fine linen, and in crimson; also to grave any manner of graving, and to find out every device which shall be put to him, with thy cunning men, and with the cunning men of my lord David thy father.
- The son
- 1 Kings 7:13,14
- 7; Exodus 31:3,4
Now therefore the wheat, and the barley, the oil, and the wine, which my lord hath spoken of, let him send unto his servants:
- which my lord
- 10; 1 Kings 5:11
And we will cut wood out of Lebanon, as much as thou shalt need: and we will bring it to thee in floats by sea to Joppa; and thou shalt carry it up to Jerusalem.
- we will cut
- 1 Kings 5:8,9
- as much as thou shalt need
- Heb. according to all thy need. Joppa. Heb. Japho.
- Joshua 19:46; Ezra 3:7; John 1:3; Acts 9:36; 10:32
And Solomon numbered all the strangers that were in the land of Israel, after the numbering wherewith David his father had numbered them; and they were found an hundred and fifty thousand and three thousand and six hundred.
- 2; 8:7,8; 1 Kings 5:13-16; 9:20,21
- the strangers
- Heb. the men the strangers. after the numbering.
- 1 Chronicles 22:2
And he set threescore and ten thousand of them to be bearers of burdens, and fourscore thousand to be hewers in the mountain, and three thousand and six hundred overseers to set the people a work.
- "As it is ver. 2."