The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 22
And the inhabitants of Jerusalem made Ahaziah his youngest son king in his stead: for the band of men that came with the Arabians to the camp had slain all the eldest. So Ahaziah the son of Jehoram king of Judah reigned.
- the inhabitants
- 23:3; 26:1; 33:25; 36:1
- 2 Kings 8:24-29; 1 Chronicles 3:11
Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.
- A. M. 3119, 3120. B.C. 885, 884. Forty and two. In the parallel passage, (on which see the Note) he is said to be only twenty-two; and this is doubtless the true reading, as it is supported here by several MSS. and Versions
- 2 Kings 8:26
- 21:6; 1 Kings 16:28
He also walked in the ways of the house of Ahab: for his mother was his counsellor to do wickedly.
- his mother
- Genesis 6:4,5; Deuteronomy 7:3,4; 13:6-10; Judges 17:4,5; Nehemiah 13:23-27; Malachi 2:15; Matthew 14:8-11
- his counsellor
- Genesis 27:12,13; Matthew 10:37; Acts 4:19
Wherefore he did evil in the sight of the LORD like the house of Ahab: for they were his counsellors after the death of his father to his destruction.
- they were his
- 24:17,18; Proverbs 1:10; 12:5; 13:20; 19:27
He walked also after their counsel, and went with Jehoram the son of Ahab king of Israel to war against Hazael king of Syria at Ramothgilead: and the Syrians smote Joram.
- He walked
- Psalms 1:1; Micah 6:16
- went with
- 2 Kings 8:28,29-9
- 18:3,31; 19:2; 1 Kings 22:3; Daniel 5:22
And he returned to be healed in Jezreel because of the wounds which were given him at Ramah, when he fought with Hazael king of Syria. And Azariah the son of Jehoram king of Judah went down to see Jehoram the son of Ahab at Jezreel, because he was sick.
- And he returned
- 2 Kings 9:15
- which were given him
- Heb. wherewith they wounded him. Azariah. Ahaziah, ['Achazyah (hyzx))] and Jehoahaz, [Y@how'achaz (zx)why)] are essentially the same both in letters and sense, the word [yhw] yeho, or [Yahh (hhy)] yah, being merely transposed: but Azariah, [`Azaryah (hyrz()] seems to have been a distinct name by which he was known.
- to see Jehoram.
- 2 Kings 8:29; 10:13,14
And the destruction of Ahaziah was of God by coming to Joram: for when he was come, he went out with Jehoram against Jehu the son of Nimshi, whom the LORD had anointed to cut off the house of Ahab.
- Heb. treading down.
- Malachi 4:3
- was of God
- 10:15; Deuteronomy 32:35; Judges 14:4; 1 Kings 12:15; 22:20; Psalms 9:16; Isaiah 46:10; Hosea 14:9
- he went out
- 2 Kings 9:21
- the Lord had
- 1 Kings 19:16; 2 Kings 9:1-7
And it came to pass, that, when Jehu was executing judgment upon the house of Ahab, and found the princes of Judah, and the sons of the brethren of Ahaziah, that ministered to Ahaziah, he slew them.
- when Jehu
- 2 Kings 10:10-14
And he sought Ahaziah: and they caught him, (for he was hid in Samaria,) and brought him to Jehu: and when they had slain him, they buried him: Because, said they, he is the son of Jehoshaphat, who sought the LORD with all his heart. So the house of Ahaziah had no power to keep still the kingdom.
- he sought Ahaziah
- The account in the parallel passage is somewhat different. "The current of the story at large is this," says Dr. Lightfoot: "Jehu slayeth Joram in the field of Jezreel, as Ahaziah and Joram were together: Ahaziah seeing this, flies, and gets into Samaria, and hides himself there. Jehu marches to Jezreel, and makes Jezebel dogs' meat: from thence sends to Samaria for the heads of Ahab's children and posterity; which are brought him by night, and shewed to the people in the morning. Then he marches to Samaria, and, by the way, slayeth forty-two of Ahab's kinsmen, and findeth Jehonadab, the father of the Rechabites. Coming into Samaria, he maketh search for Ahaziah: they find him hid, bring him to Jehu, and he commands to carry him towards Gur, by Ibleam, and there to slay him. They do so: smite him in his chariot, and his charioteer driveth away to Megiddo before he dies." "2 Ki 9:27, at Megiddo, in the kingdom of Samaria."
- in Samaria
- 1 Kings 13:21
- 1 Kings 14:13; 2 Kings 9:28,34
- the son of Jehoshaphat
- 17:3,4; 21:20
- the house
- 1,8; 21:4,17
But when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal of the house of Judah.
- 2-4; 2 Kings 11:1
But Jehoshabeath, the daughter of the king, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons that were slain, and put him and his nurse in a bedchamber. So Jehoshabeath, the daughter of king Jehoram, the wife of Jehoiada the priest, (for she was the sister of Ahaziah,) hid him from Athaliah, so that she slew him not.
- 2 Kings 11:2
- Ezekiel 40:45,46
- she slew him not
- 21:7; 2 Samuel 7:13; 1 Kings 15:4; Psalms 33:10; 76:10; Proverbs 21:30; Isaiah 65:8; Acts 4:28
And he was with them hid in the house of God six years: and Athaliah reigned over the land.
- A. M. 3120-3126. B.C. 884-878. hid in the house
- Psalms 27:5
- Psalms 12:8; 73:14,18,19; Jeremiah 12:1; Habakkuk 1:12