The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 31
Now when all this was finished, all Israel that were present went out to the cities of Judah, and brake the images in pieces, and cut down the groves, and threw down the high places and the altars out of all Judah and Benjamin, in Ephraim also and Manasseh, until they had utterly destroyed them all. Then all the children of Israel returned, every man to his possession, into their own cities.
- Now when
- all Israel
- 1 Kings 18:38-40; 2 Kings 23:2-20
- Heb. found.
- Genesis 19:15; Esther 4:16
- 14:3; 23:17; 32:12; 34:3-7; Exodus 23:24; Deuteronomy 7:5; 2 Kings 18:4
- Heb. statues.
- in Ephraim
- 30:1,18; 34:6,7; 2 Kings 17:2; 18:4; 23:15
- until, etc
- Heb. until to make an end.
And Hezekiah appointed the courses of the priests and the Levites after their courses, every man according to his service, the priests and Levites for burnt offerings and for peace offerings, to minister, and to give thanks, and to praise in the gates of the tents of the LORD.
- the courses
- 5:11; 8:14; 23:8; 1 Chronicles 16:37,40; 23:1-26; Ezra 6:18; Luke 1:5
- to give thanks
- 29:24-26; 1 Chronicles 16:4-6,41; 23:30; 25:1-3; Nehemiah 11:17; Psalms 134:1-3; Psalms 135:1-3; Jeremiah 33:11
- in the gates of the tents of the Lord
- Beshäârey machanoth Yehowah, "within the gates of the camps of Jehovah;" which comprehended the whole of the buildings that surrounded the temple, in which the priests and Levites were stationed, and which resembled military encampments.
He appointed also the king's portion of his substance for the burnt offerings, to wit, for the morning and evening burnt offerings, and the burnt offerings for the sabbaths, and for the new moons, and for the set feasts, as it is written in the law of the LORD.
- the king's
- 30:24; 1 Chronicles 26:26; Ezekiel 45:17; 46:4-7,12-18
- for the morning
- Exodus 29:38-42; Numbers 28:3-8
- the burnt
- Numbers 28:9,10
- for the new moons
- Numbers 28:11-31; 29:1-40; Deuteronomy 16:1-17; Psalms 81:1-4; Colossians 2:16,17
- the set feasts
- Leviticus 23:2-44
Moreover he commanded the people that dwelt in Jerusalem to give the portion of the priests and the Levites, that they might be encouraged in the law of the LORD.
- the portion
- 16; Leviticus 27:30-33; Numbers 18:8-21,26-28; Malachi 3:8-10
- that they might
- Nehemiah 13:10-13; 1 Corinthians 9:9-14; Galatians 6:6
- the law
- Malachi 2:7
And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.
- as soon
- 24:10,11; Exodus 35:5,20-29; 36:5,6; 2 Corinthians 8:2-5
- came abroad
- Heb. brake forth. the first fruits.
- Exodus 22:29; 23:19; 34:22,26; Numbers 18:12; Nehemiah 10:35-39; 12:44; 13:12,31; Proverbs 3:9; 1 Corinthians 15:20; James 1:18; Revelation 14:4
- or, dates. The word devash generally denotes the honey produced by bees; but as we have already observed (on Ge 43:11,) the Jewish doctors are of opinion that it here signifies dates, of the fruit of the palm tree; which the Arabians call daboos, and the honey produced from them, dibs. "This liquor," says Dr. Shaw, "which has a more luscious sweetness than honey, is of the consistence of a thin syrup, but quickly grows tart and ropy, acquiring an intoxicating quality, and giving by distillation an agreeable spirit, or arâky, according to the general name of these people for all hot liquors, extracted by the alembic." Though Jehovah forbad any devash, or honey, to offered to him upon the altar, yet it appears it might be presented as first-fruits, or in the way of tithes, which were designed for the sustenance of the priests.
And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid them by heaps.
- the children
- the tithe
- Leviticus 27:30; Deuteronomy 14:28
- by heaps
- Heb. heaps, heaps.
In the third month they began to lay the foundation of the heaps, and finished them in the seventh month.
- Leviticus 23:16-24
And when Hezekiah and the princes came and saw the heaps, they blessed the LORD, and his people Israel.
- Genesis 14:20; Judges 5:9; 1 Kings 8:14,15; 1 Chronicles 29:10-20; Ezra 7:27; 2 Corinthians 8:16; Ephesians 1:3; Philippians 4:10,19; 1 Thessalonians 3:9; 1 Peter 1:3
- and his people
- 6:3; Genesis 14:19; 2 Samuel 6:18; 1 Kings 8:55
And Azariah the chief priest of the house of Zadok answered him, and said, Since the people began to bring the offerings into the house of the LORD, we have had enough to eat, and have left plenty: for the LORD hath blessed his people; and that which is left is this great store.
- 26:17; 1 Kings 2:35; 1 Chronicles 6:8,14; Ezekiel 44:15
- Proverbs 3:9; Haggai 2:18; Malachi 3:10; 1 Timothy 4:8
- we have had
- 2 Kings 4:43,44; Matthew 15:37; Philippians 4:18
- the Lord
- Genesis 26:12; 30:27-30; 39:5,23; Leviticus 25:21; 26:4,5; Deuteronomy 28:8; Proverbs 10:22; 2 Corinthians 9:8-11
Then Hezekiah commanded to prepare chambers in the house of the LORD; and they prepared them,
- or, store-houses.
- Nehemiah 10:38,39; 13:5,12,13
And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.
- the dedicated
- 2 Kings 12:15
- over which
- 1 Chronicles 26:20-26
And Jehiel, and Azaziah, and Nahath, and Asahel, and Jerimoth, and Jozabad, and Eliel, and Ismachiah, and Mahath, and Benaiah, were overseers under the hand of Cononiah and Shimei his brother, at the commandment of Hezekiah the king, and Azariah the ruler of the house of God.
- Heb. at. at the commandment.
- 4,11; 30:12
- 10; 1 Chronicles 9:11; 24:5; Nehemiah 11:11
And Kore the son of Imnah the Levite, the porter toward the east, was over the freewill offerings of God, to distribute the oblations of the LORD, and the most holy things.
- the porter
- 1 Chronicles 26:12,14,17
- the free-will
- Leviticus 22:18; 23:38; Numbers 29:39; Deuteronomy 12:6,17; 16:10; Ezra 1:4; 3:5; 7:16; Psalms 119:108
- to distribute
- Nehemiah 13:13
- the most
- Leviticus 2:10; 6:16,17; 7:1-6; 10:12,13; 27:28
And next him were Eden, and Miniamin, and Jeshua, and Shemaiah, Amariah, and Shecaniah, in the cities of the priests, in their set office, to give to their brethren by courses, as well to the great as to the small:
- next him
- Heb. at his hand.
- 13; *marg:
- Instead of Miniamin, Benjamin is the reading of three MSS., and of the Syriac, Arabic, LXX., and Vulgate.
- the cities
- Joshua 21:9-19; 1 Chronicles 6:54-60
- set office
- or, trust.
- 1 Chronicles 9:22; *marg:
- as well
- 1 Chronicles 25:8
Beside their genealogy of males, from three years old and upward, even unto every one that entereth into the house of the LORD, his daily portion for their service in their charges according to their courses;
- his daily
- Leviticus 21:22,23
Both to the genealogy of the priests by the house of their fathers, and the Levites from twenty years old and upward, in their charges by their courses;
- Numbers 3:15,20; 4:38,42,46; 17:2,3; Ezra 2:59
- Numbers 4:3; 8:24; 1 Chronicles 23:24,27
- by their courses
- 2; 1 Chronicles 24:20-31; 25:1-26
And to the genealogy of all their little ones, their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, through all the congregation: for in their set office they sanctified themselves in holiness:
- set office
- or, trust.
- 15; 1 Chronicles 9:22; *margins
- they sanctified
- Isaiah 5:16; Romans 15:16
Also of the sons of Aaron the priests, which were in the fields of the suburbs of their cities, in every several city, the men that were expressed by name, to give portions to all the males among the priests, and to all that were reckoned by genealogies among the Levites.
- the fields
- 15; Leviticus 25:34; Numbers 35:2-5; 1 Chronicles 6:54,60
- the men
- 12-15; 28:15
And thus did Hezekiah throughout all Judah, and wrought that which was good and right and truth before the LORD his God.
- 1 Kings 15:5; 2 Kings 20:3; 22:2; John 1:47; Acts 24:16; 1 Thessalonians 2:10; 3 John 1:5
And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, and in the law, and in the commandments, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart, and prospered.
- in the law
- Psalms 1:2,3
- he did it
- Deuteronomy 6:5; 10:12; 1 Kings 2:4; 1 Chronicles 22:19; Ecclesiastes 9:10; Jeremiah 29:13
- 14:7; 20:26; 26:5; Joshua 1:7,8; 1 Chronicles 22:13; Psalms 1:3; Matthew 6:33; 7:24-27