The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 13
Now in the eighteenth year of king Jeroboam began Abijah to reign over Judah.
- A. M. 3046-3049. B.C. 958-955. in the eighteenth. See on ch
- 12:16; 1 Kings 15:1-8
He reigned three years in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Michaiah the daughter of Uriel of Gibeah. And there was war between Abijah and Jeroboam.
- Maachah the daughter of Absalom
- 1 Kings 15:2
- Joshua 18:28
- Judges 19:14,16; 1 Samuel 10:26
- A. M. 3047. B.C. 957. And there was
- 1 Kings 15:6,7
And Abijah set the battle in array with an army of valiant men of war, even four hundred thousand chosen men: Jeroboam also set the battle in array against him with eight hundred thousand chosen men, being mighty men of valour.
- Heb. bound together.
- 1 Samuel 17:1-3
- four hundred
- 11:1; 14:8; 17:14-18; 26:12,13; 1 Chronicles 21:5
- eight hundred
And Abijah stood up upon mount Zemaraim, which is in mount Ephraim, and said, Hear me, thou Jeroboam, and all Israel;
- Zemaraim could not be, as some have supposed, the same as the hill of Samaria, [Shom@rown (awrm#)] so called from Shemer, in the days of Omri; but was probably a hill on the confines of Ephraim, near Zemaraim, a city of Benjamin, near Bethel.
- Genesis 10:18; Joshua 18:22
- Hear me
- 15:2; Judges 9:7
Ought ye not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingdom over Israel to David for ever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?
- Ought ye not
- Nehemiah 5:9; Proverbs 1:29; 2 Peter 3:5
- the Lord
- Judges 11:21-24; Jeremiah 27:5-7; Daniel 4:25-32; 5:18
- to David
- 1 Samuel 16:1,12; 2 Samuel 7:12-16; 1 Kings 8:20; 1 Chronicles 17:11,14; 28:4,5; Psalms 89:19-37; Jeremiah 33:21,22,26; Luke 1:31-33
- a covenant of salt
- Leviticus 2:13; Numbers 18:19; Ezekiel 43:24; Mark 9:49,50
Yet Jeroboam the son of Nebat, the servant of Solomon the son of David, is risen up, and hath rebelled against his lord.
- 10:19; 1 Kings 11:26; 12:20,27
And there are gathered unto him vain men, the children of Belial, and have strengthened themselves against Rehoboam the son of Solomon, when Rehoboam was young and tenderhearted, and could not withstand them.
- vain men
- Judges 9:4; 11:3; 1 Samuel 22:2; Job 30:8; Psalms 26:4; Proverbs 12:11; 28:19; Acts 17:5; Titus 1:10
- the children of Belial
- Deuteronomy 13:13; 1 Kings 21:10,13
- 10:16; 12:13; Ecclesiastes 10:16; Isaiah 3:4; 1 Corinthians 14:20; Hebrews 5:12
- could not
And now ye think to withstand the kingdom of the LORD in the hand of the sons of David; and ye be a great multitude, and there are with you golden calves, which Jeroboam made you for gods.
- the kingdom
- 9:8; Psalms 2:1-6; Isaiah 7:6,7; 9:6,7; Luke 19:14,27
- a great multitude
- 14:9-11; 20:6,12; Psalms 33:16
- with you golden
- 11:15; 1 Kings 12:28; 14:9; Hosea 8:5,6
Have ye not cast out the priests of the LORD, the sons of Aaron, and the Levites, and have made you priests after the manner of the nations of other lands? so that whosoever cometh to consecrate himself with a young bullock and seven rams, the same may be a priest of them that are no gods.
- cast out
- made you priests
- 1 Kings 12:31-33; 13:33
- consecrated himself
- Heb. fill his hand.
- Exodus 32:29; Leviticus 16:32; 1 Chronicles 29:5; *margins
- Exodus 29:1,35; Leviticus 8:2
- no gods
- Deuteronomy 32:17; 2 Kings 19:18; Jeremiah 2:11; Hosea 8:6; Acts 19:26; Galatians 4:8
But as for us, the LORD is our God, and we have not forsaken him; and the priests, which minister unto the LORD, are the sons of Aaron, and the Levites wait upon their business:
- the Lord
- We have not abandoned the Lord; and we still serve him according to His own law. But what Abijah urged concerning the state of religion in Judah was not strictly just; and, as spoken by him, it favoured ostentation. Abijah himself was but an indifferent character; and idolatry was evidently connived at in his days. Yet it was true, that the men of Judah had the priests, ordinances, and worship of Jehovah among them; that there were numbers of pious worshippers in the land; that theirs was the more righteous cause; that Jehovah was on their side as their Captain, while Israel fought against him; and that the presence of the priests with the sacred trumpets was a token of His presence and favour.
- 11:16,17; Exodus 19:5,6; Zechariah 13:9
- the priests
- Exodus 29:1-37; Numbers 16:40; 18:1-7
And they burn unto the LORD every morning and every evening burnt sacrifices and sweet incense: the shewbread also set they in order upon the pure table; and the candlestick of gold with the lamps thereof, to burn every evening: for we keep the charge of the LORD our God; but ye have forsaken him.
- they burn
- 2:4; Exodus 29:38
- sweet incense
- Exodus 30:1-10; Leviticus 2:1-3; Numbers 16:6,46; Luke 1:9; Revelation 8:3,4
- Exodus 25:30; Leviticus 24:5-9
- the candlestick
- Exodus 25:31-39; 27:20,21; Leviticus 24:2-4
- we keep
- Genesis 26:5; Numbers 9:19; Ezekiel 44:8,15; 48:11
And, behold, God himself is with us for our captain, and his priests with sounding trumpets to cry alarm against you. O children of Israel, fight ye not against the LORD God of your fathers; for ye shall not prosper.
- Numbers 23:21; 1 Samuel 4:5-7; Isaiah 8:10; Zechariah 10:5; Romans 8:31
- for our captain
- Deuteronomy 20:4; Joshua 5:13-15; Psalms 20:7; Hebrews 2:10
- his priests
- Numbers 10:8,9; 31:6; Joshua 6:13-20
- fight ye
- Job 15:25,26; 40:9; Isaiah 45:9; Jeremiah 50:24; Acts 5:39; 9:4,5
- ye shall not
- 24:20; Numbers 14:41; Deuteronomy 28:29; Job 9:4; Isaiah 54:17; Jeremiah 2:37; Ezekiel 17:9
But Jeroboam caused an ambushment to come about behind them: so they were before Judah, and the ambushment was behind them.
- an ambushment
- 20:22; Joshua 8:4; Proverbs 21:30; Jeremiah 4:22
And when Judah looked back, behold, the battle was before and behind: and they cried unto the LORD, and the priests sounded with the trumpets.
- looked back
- Exodus 14:10; Joshua 8:20; Judges 20:33-43; 2 Samuel 10:8-14
- 14:11; 18:31; Psalms 50:15; 91:5
- the priests
Then the men of Judah gave a shout: and as the men of Judah shouted, it came to pass, that God smote Jeroboam and all Israel before Abijah and Judah.
- as the men
- 20:21; Joshua 6:16,20; Judges 7:18-22; Psalms 47:1,5
- God smote
- 14:12; Numbers 32:4; Joshua 11:8; Judges 4:15; 2 Kings 5:1; Psalms 118:4-7; Isaiah 37:36
And the children of Israel fled before Judah: and God delivered them into their hand.
- God delivered
- Genesis 14:20; Deuteronomy 2:36; 3:3; Joshua 10:12; 21:44; Judges 1:4; 11:21; 1 Samuel 23:7
And Abijah and his people slew them with a great slaughter: so there fell down slain of Israel five hundred thousand chosen men.
- five hundred
- 3,12; 28:6; Isaiah 10:16-19; 37:36; Nahum 1:5; 1 Corinthians 10:22
Thus the children of Israel were brought under at that time, and the children of Judah prevailed, because they relied upon the LORD God of their fathers.
- 16:8,9; 20:20; 2 Kings 18:5; 1 Chronicles 5:20; Psalms 22:4,5; 146:5; Daniel 3:28; Nahum 1:7; Ephesians 1:12
And Abijah pursued after Jeroboam, and took cities from him, Bethel with the towns thereof, and Jeshanah with the towns thereof, and Ephrain with the towns thereof.
- took cities
- Joshua 10:19,39; 11:12; 1 Samuel 31:7
- Jeshanah, according to the Talmud, was not far from Sephoris. Perhaps it is the Migdal-Senna of Eusebius, eight miles north of Jericho.
- Ephrain, or Ephron, a city of Benjamin, is placed by Eusebius, eight miles north of Jerusalem, near Bethel. Josephus calls Ephrain and Bethel two little cities; and places the former in the tribe of Benjamin, near the wilderness of Judea, in the way to Jericho.
- 15:8; Joshua 15:9
- John 11:54
Neither did Jeroboam recover strength again in the days of Abijah: and the LORD struck him, and he died.
- Psalms 18:37,38
- 1 Samuel 25:38; 26:10; Ezekiel 24:16; Acts 12:23
- he died
- 1 Kings 14:20; 15:9
But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives, and begat twenty and two sons, and sixteen daughters.
- 2 Samuel 5:12,13
- fourteen wives
- Judges 8:30,31; 9:5; 10:4
And the rest of the acts of Abijah, and his ways, and his sayings, are written in the story of the prophet Iddo.
- or, commentary. Iddo.
- 9:29; 12:15