The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 11
And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal.
- A. M. 3120. B.C.884. Athaliah
- 2 Chronicles 22:10; 24:7
- the mother
- 8:26; 9:27
- and destroyed
- A similar history is related by Mr. Bruce, as having occurred in Abyssinia. Judith "surprised the rock Damo, and slew the whole of the princes, to the number, it is said, of about 400;" while the infant king, Del Naad, was conveyed for safety to a loyal province, and afterwards restored.
- Matthew 2:13,16; 21:38,39
- seed royal
- Heb. seed of the kingdom.
- 25:25; *marg:; Jeremiah 41:1
But Jehosheba, the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons which were slain; and they hid him, even him and his nurse, in the bedchamber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain.
- 2 Chronicles 22:11
- they hid him.
- 8:19; Proverbs 21:30; Isaiah 7:6,7; 37:35; 65:8,9; Jeremiah 33:17,21,26
- in the bed-chamber
- Bachadar hammittoth, "in a chamber of beds;" which Sir J. Chardin thinks does not mean a room to sleep in, but a chamber used as a repository for beds; for, in the East, they sleep upon cotton mattresses, "of which they have several in great houses, against they should have occasion, and a room on purpose for them."
- 1 Kings 6:5,6,8,10; Jeremiah 35:2; Ezekiel 40:45
And he was with her hid in the house of the LORD six years. And Athaliah did reign over the land.
- A. M. 3120-3126. B.C. 884-878. And Athaliah
- 2 Chronicles 22:12; Psalms 12:8; Malachi 3:15
And the seventh year Jehoiada sent and fetched the rulers over hundreds, with the captains and the guard, and brought them to him into the house of the LORD, and made a covenant with them, and took an oath of them in the house of the LORD, and shewed them the king's son.
- A. M. 3126. B.C. 878. the seventh
- 2 Chronicles 23:1-15
- 9; 1 Chronicles 9:13
- the captains
- Acts 5:24,26
- made a covenant
- 17; 23:3; Joshua 24:25; 1 Samuel 18:3; 23:18; 2 Chronicles 15:12; 29:10; 34:31,32; Nehemiah 9:38
- took an oath
- Genesis 50:25; 1 Kings 18:10; Nehemiah 5:12; 10:29
And he commanded them, saying, This is the thing that ye shall do; A third part of you that enter in on the sabbath shall even be keepers of the watch of the king's house;
- that enter
- 1 Chronicles 9:25; 23:3-6,32; 24:3-6; Luke 1:8,9
- the watch
- 19; 16:18; 1 Kings 10:5; Jeremiah 26:10; Ezekiel 44:2,3; 46:2,3
And a third part shall be at the gate of Sur; and a third part at the gate behind the guard: so shall ye keep the watch of the house, that it be not broken down.
- the gate of Sur
- 1 Chronicles 26:13-19; 2 Chronicles 23:4,5
- that it be not broken down
- or, from breaking up.
And two parts of all you that go forth on the sabbath, even they shall keep the watch of the house of the LORD about the king.
- or, companies. Heb. hands. go forth.
- 5; 2 Chronicles 23:6
And ye shall compass the king round about, every man with his weapons in his hand: and he that cometh within the ranges, let him be slain: and be ye with the king as he goeth out and as he cometh in.
- he that cometh
- 15; Exodus 21:14; 1 Kings 2:28-31; 2 Chronicles 23:7
And the captains over the hundreds did according to all things that Jehoiada the priest commanded: and they took every man his men that were to come in on the sabbath, with them that should go out on the sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.
- the captains
- 4; 1 Chronicles 26:26; 2 Chronicles 23:8
And to the captains over hundreds did the priest give king David's spears and shields, that were in the temple of the LORD.
- king David's spears
- Josephus states that, for fear of creating suspicion, they came unarmed, "and Jehoiada having opened the arsenal in the temple which David had prepared, he divided among the centurions, priests, and Levites, the spears (arrows), and quivers, and all other kinds of weapons which he found there."
- 1 Samuel 21:9; 2 Samuel 8:7; 1 Chronicles 26:26,27; 2 Chronicles 5:1; 23:9,10
And the guard stood, every man with his weapons in his hand, round about the king, from the right corner of the temple to the left corner of the temple, along by the altar and the temple.
- every man
- Heb. shoulder. by the altar.
- Exodus 40:6; 2 Chronicles 6:12; Ezekiel 8:16; Joel 2:17; Matthew 23:35; Luke 11:51
And he brought forth the king's son, and put the crown upon him, and gave him the testimony; and they made him king, and anointed him; and they clapped their hands, and said, God save the king.
- he brought
- 2,4; 2 Chronicles 23:11
- put the crown
- 2 Samuel 1:10; 12:30; Esther 2:17; 6:8; Psalms 21:3; 89:39; 132:18; Matthew 27:29; Hebrews 2:9; Revelation 19:12
- the testimony
- Exodus 25:16; 31:18; Deuteronomy 17:18-20; Psalms 78:5; Isaiah 8:16,20
- anointed him
- 9:3; 1 Samuel 10:1; 16:13; 2 Samuel 2:4,7; 5:3; 1 Kings 1:39; Lamentations 4:20; Acts 4:27; 2 Corinthians 1:21; Hebrews 1:9
- and they clapped
- Wyyakkoo kaph, "they clapped the hand," which Mr. Harmer thinks was similar to the mode in which Oriental females express their respect for persons of high rank, by gently applying one of their hands to their mouth. So Pitts relates, that in some of the towns of Barbary, the leaders of the sacred caravan being received with loud acclamations, "the very women get upon the tops of the houses to view the parade, or fine show, where they keep striking their four fingers on their lips, as fast as they can, making a joyful noise all the while."
- Psalms 47:1; 98:8; Isaiah 55:12
- and said
- 1 Kings 1:34; Psalms 72:15-17; Daniel 3:9; 6:21; Matthew 21:9
- God save the king
- Heb. Let the king live.
- 1 Samuel 10:24; 2 Samuel 16:16; *margins
And when Athaliah heard the noise of the guard and of the people, she came to the people into the temple of the LORD.
- 2 Chronicles 23:12-15
And when she looked, behold, the king stood by a pillar, as the manner was, and the princes and the trumpeters by the king, and all the people of the land rejoiced, and blew with trumpets: and Athaliah rent her clothes, and cried, Treason, Treason.
- The Orientals considered a seat by a pillar or column as particularly honourable.
- a pillar
- 23:3; 2 Chronicles 34:31
- the princes
- 10,11; Numbers 10:1-10
- all the people
- 1 Kings 1:39,40; 1 Chronicles 12:40; Proverbs 29:2; Luke 19:37; Revelation 19:1-7
- 1,2; 9:23; 1 Kings 18:17,18
But Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains of the hundreds, the officers of the host, and said unto them, Have her forth without the ranges: and him that followeth her kill with the sword. For the priest had said, Let her not be slain in the house of the LORD.
- 4,9,10; 2 Chronicles 23:9,14
- Ezekiel 21:14
- Ezekiel 9:7
And they laid hands on her; and she went by the way by the which the horses came into the king's house: and there was she slain.
- by the which
- 2 Chronicles 23:15
- there was she slain
- Genesis 9:6; Judges 1:7; Matthew 7:2; James 2:13; Revelation 16:5-7
And Jehoiada made a covenant between the LORD and the king and the people, that they should be the LORD'S people; between the king also and the people.
- made a covenant
- 4; Deuteronomy 5:2,3; 29:1-15; Joshua 24:25; 2 Chronicles 15:12-14; 29:10; 34:31; Ezra 10:3; Nehemiah 5:12,13; 9:38; 10:28,29; 2 Corinthians 8:5
- between the king
- 1 Samuel 10:25; 2 Samuel 5:3; 1 Chronicles 11:3; 2 Chronicles 23:16; Romans 13:1-6
And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. And the priest appointed officers over the house of the LORD.
- 9:25-28; 10:26; 18:4; 23:4-6,10,14; 2 Chronicles 23:17; 34:4,7
- brake they
- 18:4; Exodus 32:20; Deuteronomy 12:3; 2 Chronicles 21:17; Isaiah 2:18; Zechariah 13:2
- slew Mattan
- Deuteronomy 13:5,9; 1 Kings 18:40; Zechariah 13:2,3
- 2 Chronicles 23:18-20
- Heb. offices.
And he took the rulers over hundreds, and the captains, and the guard, and all the people of the land; and they brought down the king from the house of the LORD, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king's house. And he sat on the throne of the kings.
- by the way
- 5; 2 Chronicles 23:5,19
- he sat
- 1 Kings 1:13; 1 Chronicles 29:23; Jeremiah 17:25; 22:4,30; Matthew 19:28; 25:31
And all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was in quiet: and they slew Athaliah with the sword beside the king's house.
- 14; 2 Chronicles 23:21; Proverbs 11:10; 29:2
- slew Athaliah
Seven years old was Jehoash when he began to reign.
- 4; 22:1; 2 Chronicles 24:1-14