The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 17
Thou shalt not sacrifice unto the LORD thy God any bullock, or sheep, wherein is blemish, or any evilfavouredness: for that is an abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- Thou shalt
- 15:21; Exodus 12:5; Leviticus 22:20-25; Malachi 1:8,13,14; Hebrews 9:14; 1 Peter 1:19
- or, goat. any evil favouredness.
- Genesis 41:3,4,19
- for that
- 23:18; 24:4; 25:16; Proverbs 6:16; 11:1; 15:8; 20:10
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant,
- within any of thy gates
- The expression, "within any of thy gates," denoted all residing in the cities, and all who went in and came out at the gates of them; so that it included the inhabitants of the whole land.
- 5; 13:6-18; 29:18
- in transgressing
- 4:23; 29:25; 31:20; Leviticus 26:15,25; Joshua 7:11,15; 23:16; Judges 2:20; 2 Kings 18:12; Jeremiah 31:32; Ezekiel 16:38; Hosea 6:7; 8:1; Hebrews 8:9,10
And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;
- the sun
- 4:19; 2 Kings 21:3; Job 31:26,27; Jeremiah 8:2; Ezekiel 8:16
- Jeremiah 7:22,23,31; 19:5; 32:35
And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel:
- 13:12-14; 19:18; Proverbs 25:2; John 7:51
Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.
- stone them
- 13:10,11; 21:21; 22:21,24; Leviticus 24:14,16; Joshua 7:25
At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
- 19:15; Numbers 35:30; Matthew 18:16; John 8:17,18; 2 Corinthians 13:1; 1 Timothy 5:19; Hebrews 10:28
The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.
- of the witnesses
- 13:9; Acts 7:58,59
- So thou
- 12; 13:5; 19:19; 24:7; Judges 20:13; 1 Corinthians 5:13
If there arise a matter too hard for thee in judgment, between blood and blood, between plea and plea, and between stroke and stroke, being matters of controversy within thy gates: then shalt thou arise, and get thee up into the place which the LORD thy God shall choose;
- 1:17; Exodus 18:26; 1 Kings 3:16-28; 2 Chronicles 19:8-10; Haggai 2:11; Malachi 2:7
- between blood
- 19:4,10,11; Exodus 21:12-14,20,22,28; 22:2; Numbers 35:11,16,19-34
- get thee up
- 12:5; 19:17; Psalms 122:4,5
And thou shalt come unto the priests the Levites, and unto the judge that shall be in those days, and enquire; and they shall shew thee the sentence of judgment:
- the priests
- Jeremiah 18:18; Haggai 2:11; Malachi 2:7
- they shall
- 19:17-21; Ezekiel 44:24
And thou shalt do according to the sentence, which they of that place which the LORD shall choose shall shew thee; and thou shalt observe to do according to all that they inform thee:
- Matthew 22:2,3
According to the sentence of the law which they shall teach thee, and according to the judgment which they shall tell thee, thou shalt do: thou shalt not decline from the sentence which they shall shew thee, to the right hand, nor to the left.
- According to
- Joshua 1:7; Malachi 2:8,9; Romans 13:1-6; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-15; 2 Peter 2:10; Jude 1:8
- to the right
- 20; 5:32; 28:14; Joshua 1:7; 23:6; 2 Samuel 14:19; Proverbs 4:27
And the man that will do presumptuously, and will not hearken unto the priest that standeth to minister there before the LORD thy God, or unto the judge, even that man shall die: and thou shalt put away the evil from Israel.
- will do
- 13:5,11; Numbers 15:30; Ezra 10:8; Psalms 19:13; Hosea 4:4; Matthew 10:14; Hebrews 10:26-29
- and will not hearken
- Heb. not to hearken.
- Jeremiah 25:3-14
- the priest
- 10:8; 18:5,7; Luke 10:16; John 12:48; 20:23; 1 Thessalonians 4:2,8
- that man
- Hebrews 10:28
- thou shalt
- 7; 13:5; Proverbs 21:11; 1 Timothy 5:20
And all the people shall hear, and fear, and do no more presumptuously.
- shall hear
- 13:11; 19:20
- Numbers 15:30,31
When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
- When thou
- 7:1; 12:9,10; 18:9; 26:1,9; Leviticus 14:34; Joshua 1:13
- I will set
- 1 Samuel 8:5-7,19,20; 12:19
Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.
- 1 Samuel 9:15-17; 10:24; 16:12,13; 2 Samuel 5:2; 1 Chronicles 12:23; 22:10; 28:5; Psalms 2:2,6
- from among
- Jeremiah 30:21; Matthew 22:17
- not set
- Jeremiah 2:25
But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
- multiply horses
- Multiplying horses for chariots of war and cavalry, or for luxury, would increase the splendour of a monarch, and form a ground of confidence distinct from a proper confidence in God, and inconsistent with it, and with considering him as the glory of Israel. Egypt abounded in horses; and the desire of multiplying these would induce the prince to encourage a trade with that kingdom; and this might make way for the Israelites being again subjugated by the Egyptians, or at least corrupted by their idolatries and vices. Whereas, it was the command of God that they should no more return thither, but be totally detached from them. Besides, they might be tempted to extend their dominion by means of cavalry, and so get scattered among the surrounding idolatrous nations, and thus cease to be that distinct, separate people, which God intended they should be.
- 1 Samuel 8:11; 2 Samuel 8:4; 1 Kings 1:5; 4:26; 10:26-28; 2 Chronicles 9:25; Psalms 20:7; Isaiah 36:8,9; Hosea 14:3
- Isaiah 31:1-3; Jeremiah 42:14; Ezekiel 17:15
- Ye shall henceforth
- 28:68; Exodus 13:17; 14:13; Numbers 14:3,4; Jeremiah 42:15,16; Hosea 11:5
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
- multiply wives
- Genesis 2:24; 2 Samuel 3:2-5; 1 Kings 11:1-4; Nehemiah 13:26; Malachi 2:15; Matthew 19:5
- neither shall he
- 1 Kings 10:21; Psalms 62:10; Proverbs 30:8,9; Matthew 6:19,20; 13:22; 19:23,24; Luke 12:15; 1 Timothy 6:9,17
And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:
- that he shall
- 2 Kings 11:12
- a copy
- Mishneh hattorah hazzoth, "a duplicate of this law." translated by the Septuagint, [to deuteronomion touto] this Deuteronomy. From this version, both the Vulgate and all the modern versions have taken the name of this book; and from it the original word, the Jews call it Mishneh.
- out of that which
- 31:9,25,26; 2 Kings 22:8; 2 Chronicles 34:15
And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
- 6:6-9; 11:18; Joshua 1:8; Psalms 1:2; 119:97-100; John 5:39; 2 Timothy 3:15-17
That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.
- his heart
- 8:2,13,14; 2 Kings 14:10; 2 Chronicles 25:19; 26:16; 32:25,26; 33:12,19,23; 34:27; Psalms 131:1,2; Isaiah 2:12; Daniel 5:20-23; Habakkuk 2:4; 2 Corinthians 12:7; 1 Peter 5:5
- he turn
- 4:2; 5:32; 12:25,28,32; 1 Kings 15:5
- right hand
- 11; 1 Samuel 13:13,14; 15:23; 1 Kings 11:12,13,34,36; 2 Kings 10:30; Psalms 19:11; Psalms 132:12; Proverbs 27:24; Ecclesiastes 8:13
- that he
- Proverbs 10:27