The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 12
These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth.
- the statues
- 4:1,2,5,45; 6:1,2
- all the days
- 19; 4:19; 1 Kings 8:40; Job 7:1; Psalms 104:33; 146:2
Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree:
- 7:5,25,26; Exodus 23:24; 34:12-17; Numbers 33:51,52; Judges 2:2
- or, inherit.
- Numbers 22:41; 2 Kings 16:4; 17:10,11; 23:13; Jeremiah 3:6; Ezekiel 20:28,29; Hosea 4:13
And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.
- ye shall
- Numbers 33:52; Judges 2:2; 2 Chronicles 31:1
- Heb. break down. and burn.
- 1 Kings 15:13; 2 Kings 18:4; 23:14; 2 Chronicles 14:3; 19:3; 34:3; Jeremiah 17:2; Micah 5:14
- and destroy
- Exodus 23:13; Psalms 16:4; Hosea 2:17; Zechariah 13:2; Revelation 13:1
Ye shall not do so unto the LORD your God.
- 30,31; 16:21,22; 20:18; Leviticus 20:23
But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:
- But unto
- 11; 16:2; 26:2; Joshua 9:27; 18:1; 1 Kings 8:16,20,29; 14:21; 1 Chronicles 22:1; 2 Chronicles 7:12; Psalms 78:68; 87:2,3; John 4:20-22; Hebrews 12:22; Revelation 14:1
- Exodus 15:2; 25:22; Numbers 7:89; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalms 132:13,14; Isaiah 66:1,2; Acts 7:48-50; Ephesians 2:20-22; Colossians 2:9
And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
- your burnt
- Leviticus 17:3-9; Ezekiel 20:40
- 17; 14:22-26; 15:19,20; 26:2; Leviticus 27:32,33; Numbers 18:15-17; Malachi 3:8,10; Luke 11:42; 18:12
And there ye shall eat before the LORD your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the LORD thy God hath blessed thee.
- And there
- 18; 14:23,26; 15:20; Isaiah 23:18
- ye shall
- 12,18; 16:11-15; 26:11; 27:7; Leviticus 23:40; Psalms 128:1,2; Malachi 2:13; Acts 2:46; Philippians 4:4
Ye shall not do after all the things that we do here this day, every man whatsoever is right in his own eyes.
- every man
- Numbers 15:39; Judges 17:6; 21:25; Proverbs 21:2; Amos 5:25; Acts 7:42
For ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which the LORD your God giveth you.
- 25:19; 1 Kings 8:56; 1 Chronicles 23:25; Micah 2:10; Hebrews 4:8,9; 1 Peter 1:3,4
But when ye go over Jordan, and dwell in the land which the LORD your God giveth you to inherit, and when he giveth you rest from all your enemies round about, so that ye dwell in safety;
- But when
- 3:27; 4:22; 9:1; 11:31; Joshua 3:17; 4:1,12
- ye dwell
- 33:12,28; Leviticus 25:18,19; 1 Samuel 7:12; 1 Kings 4:25; Psalms 4:8; Proverbs 1:33; Jeremiah 23:6; 32:37; 33:11; Ezekiel 28:26; 34:25,28; 38:8
Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD:
- a place
- 5,14,18,21,26; 14:23; 15:20; 16:2-8; 17:8; 18:6; 23:16; 26:2; 31:11; Joshua 18:1; 1 Kings 8:13,29; Psalms 78:68; Jeremiah 7:12; John 4:20-23
- your choice
- Heb. the choice of your.
And ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God, ye, and your sons, and your daughters, and your menservants, and your maidservants, and the Levite that is within your gates; forasmuch as he hath no part nor inheritance with you.
- And ye
- 7; 14:26,27; 1 Kings 8:66; 2 Chronicles 29:36; 30:21-26; Nehemiah 8:10-12; Psalms 100:1,2; Psalms 147:1; 1 John 1:3,4
- the Levite
- 19; 14:27,29; 16:11,14; 18:6; 26:12
- 10:9; 18:1,2; Numbers 18:20,23,24,26; Joshua 13:14,33; 14:4
Take heed to thyself that thou offer not thy burnt offerings in every place that thou seest:
- 6; Leviticus 17:2-5; 1 Kings 12:28-32; 15:34; 2 Chronicles 15:17
But in the place which the LORD shall choose in one of thy tribes, there thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, and there thou shalt do all that I command thee.
- 5,11; Psalms 5:7; 9:11; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Hebrews 10:19-22; 13:15
Notwithstanding thou mayest kill and eat flesh in all thy gates, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee: the unclean and the clean may eat thereof, as of the roebuck, and as of the hart.
- the unclean
- 21,22; 14:5; 15:22,23; Leviticus 17:3-5; Of the propriety of eating clean animals there could be no question, but the blood must be poured out: yet there were cases when they might kill and eat in all their gates such as the roebuck and the hart, or all clean wild beasts; for these being taken in hunting, and frequently shot by arrows, their blood could not be poured out at the altar
Only ye shall not eat the blood; ye shall pour it upon the earth as water.
- 23,24; 15:23; Genesis 9:4; Leviticus 7:26,27; 17:10-13; Acts 15:29; 1 Timothy 4:4
Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
- the tithe
- 6,11; 14:22-29; 26:12,14; Leviticus 27:30-32; Numbers 18:21-24
But thou must eat them before the LORD thy God in the place which the LORD thy God shall choose, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite that is within thy gates: and thou shalt rejoice before the LORD thy God in all that thou puttest thine hands unto.
- thou must
- 11,12,19; 14:23; 15:20
- 7; Psalms 32:11; 68:3; Proverbs 3:17; Isaiah 12:3; Acts 2:46; 16:34; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Galatians 5:22; Philippians 3:1-3
Take heed to thyself that thou forsake not the Levite as long as thou livest upon the earth.
- 14:27-29; 2 Chronicles 11:13,14; 31:4-21; Nehemiah 10:34-39; 1 Corinthians 9:10-14
- as long, etc
- Heb. all thy days.
When the LORD thy God shall enlarge thy border, as he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because thy soul longeth to eat flesh; thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
- 1 Chronicles 4:10
- as he hath
- 11:24; 19:8; Genesis 15:18-21; 28:14; Exodus 23:31; 34:24
- I will
- 15; Genesis 31:30; Numbers 11:4,20,34; 2 Samuel 13:39; 23:15; Psalms 63:1; 84:2; 107:9; Psalms 119:20,40,174; 2 Corinthians 9:14; Philippians 1:8; 2:26
If the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to put his name there be too far from thee, then thou shalt kill of thy herd and of thy flock, which the LORD hath given thee, as I have commanded thee, and thou shalt eat in thy gates whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
- to put
- 5,11; 14:23,24; 16:6,11; 26:2; Exodus 20:24; 1 Kings 14:21; 2 Chronicles 12:13; Ezra 6:12
Even as the roebuck and the hart is eaten, so thou shalt eat them: the unclean and the clean shall eat of them alike.
Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
- Heb. strong. the blood is.
- Genesis 9:4; Leviticus 3:16,17; 17:11,14; Matthew 20:28; Revelation 5:9
Thou shalt not eat it; thou shalt pour it upon the earth as water.
- 16; 15:23
Thou shalt not eat it; that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, when thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the LORD.
- that it
- 28; 4:40; 5:16; Psalms 112:2; Isaiah 3:10; 48:18,19; Ezekiel 33:25
- 6:18; 13:18; Exodus 15:26; 1 Kings 11:38; Ecclesiastes 2:26
Only thy holy things which thou hast, and thy vows, thou shalt take, and go unto the place which the LORD shall choose:
- 6,11,18; Numbers 5:9,10; 18:19
- thy vows
- Genesis 28:20; Leviticus 22:18-33; 1 Samuel 1:21-24; Psalms 66:13-15
And thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, the flesh and the blood, upon the altar of the LORD thy God: and the blood of thy sacrifices shall be poured out upon the altar of the LORD thy God, and thou shalt eat the flesh.
- thy burnt
- Leviticus 1:5,9,13; 17:11
- and the blood
- Leviticus 4:30; 17:11
Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee for ever, when thou doest that which is good and right in the sight of the LORD thy God.
- 24:8; Exodus 34:11; Leviticus 19:37; 2 Chronicles 7:17; Nehemiah 1:5; Psalms 105:45; Ezekiel 37:24; John 15:3,10,14
- that it may
When the LORD thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
- cut off
- 9:3; 19:1; Exodus 23:23; Joshua 23:4; Psalms 78:55
- Heb. inheritest. or, possessest.
Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
- that thou
- 7:16; Exodus 23:31-33; Leviticus 18:3; Numbers 33:52; Judges 2:2,3; 2 Kings 17:15; Psalms 106:34-38; Ezekiel 20:28
- by following
- Heb. after. How did.
- Jeremiah 10:2; Ezekiel 20:32; Romans 12:2; Ephesians 4:17; 1 Peter 4:3,4
Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
- 4; 18:9; Exodus 23:2; Leviticus 18:3,26-30; 2 Kings 17:15-17; 21:2; 2 Chronicles 33:2; 2 Chronicles 36:14
- abomination to the
- Heb. abomination of the. even their sons. The unnatural and horrid practice of offering human sacrifices not only existed, but universally prevailed among ancient nations. We have already (Note on Lev 20:2) referred to the custom among the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, descendants from the Canaanitish nations, of sacrificing their children to Moloch, or Saturn; and we will now cite a passage from Diodorus Siculus, (lib. xx.) which immediately precedes that already produced relative to this barbarous custom. He states that the Carthaginians imputed their being besieged by Agathocles to the anger of Saturn, because, instead of sacrificing the best of their own children, as formerly, they had sacrificed children bought for that purpose. "In haste, therefore, to rectify their errors, they chose 200 of the noblest children, and publicly sacrificed them! Others, accused of irreligion, voluntarily gave themselves up, to the number of no less than 300!"
- 18:10; Leviticus 18:21; 20:2; Jeremiah 7:31; 32:35; Ezekiel 20:31; 23:27; Micah 6:7
What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
- thou shalt not
- 4:2; 13:18; Joshua 1:7; Proverbs 30:6; Matthew 28:20; Revelation 22:18,19