The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 18
The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi, shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance.
- shall have
- 10:9; 12:19; Numbers 18:20; 26:62; Joshua 13:33; 18:7; 1 Peter 5:2-4
- they shall
- Numbers 18:8,9; Joshua 13:14; 1 Corinthians 9:13,14
Therefore shall they have no inheritance among their brethren: the LORD is their inheritance, as he hath said unto them.
- the Lord
- Genesis 15:1; Psalms 16:5; 73:24-26; 84:11; 119:57; Isaiah 61:6; Lamentations 3:24; 1 Peter 2:5,9; Revelation 1:5,6
And this shall be the priest's due from the people, from them that offer a sacrifice, whether it be ox or sheep; and they shall give unto the priest the shoulder, and the two cheeks, and the maw.
- offer a sacrifice
- 12:27; Leviticus 7:30-34
The firstfruit also of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the first of the fleece of thy sheep, shalt thou give him.
- 26:9,10; Exodus 22:29; 23:19; Leviticus 23:10,17; Numbers 18:12-24; 2 Chronicles 31:4-10; Nehemiah 12:44-47
- the fleece
- Job 21:20
For the LORD thy God hath chosen him out of all thy tribes, to stand to minister in the name of the LORD, him and his sons for ever.
- 10:8; 17:12; Exodus 28:1-14; Numbers 3:10; 16:5,9,10; 17:5-9; 25:13
And if a Levite come from any of thy gates out of all Israel, where he sojourned, and come with all the desire of his mind unto the place which the LORD shall choose;
- Numbers 35:2,3
- and come with
- Psalms 26:8; 27:4; 63:1,2; 84:5,10; 1 Timothy 3:1; 1 Peter 5:2
- unto the place
- 12:5; 16:2
Then he shall minister in the name of the LORD his God, as all his brethren the Levites do, which stand there before the LORD.
- as all his brethren
- 2 Chronicles 31:2-4
They shall have like portions to eat, beside that which cometh of the sale of his patrimony.
- like portions
- Leviticus 7:8,9,14; Nehemiah 12:44,47; Luke 10:7; 1 Corinthians 9:7-14; 1 Timothy 5:17,18
- that which cometh of the sale of his patrimony
- Heb. his sales by the fathers.
When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
- 12:29-31; Leviticus 18:26,27,30
There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
- 12:31; Leviticus 18:21-30; 20:2-5; 2 Kings 16:3; 17:17; 21:6; 2 Chronicles 28:3; Psalms 106:37,38; Jeremiah 19:4-6; 32:35
- that useth divination
- The precise import of the terms here used to express these unhallowed practices cannot be clearly ascertained: he that useth divination, kosaim, kesamim, seems a general term for the various species after specified; observer of times, meonain, one who pretends to foretell by the clouds, planets, etc.; enchanter menachesh, a diviner, either by means of serpents, or by inspecting the entrails of beasts, the flight of birds, etc.; a witch, mecashsheph, one who used magical fumigations, etc.; a charmer, chover chaver, one who uses spells, or a peculiar conjunction of words, or tying knots, etc.; a consulter with familiar spirits, shoel ov, a pythoness; a wizard, yidoni, a cunning man; necromancer, doresh el hammaithim one who seeks enquiries of the dead.
- Exodus 22:18; Leviticus 19:26,31; 20:26,27; 1 Samuel 28:3,7,9; 1 Chronicles 10:13; 2 Chronicles 33:6; Isaiah 8:19,20; 47:13; Acts 19:19; Galatians 5:20
Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
- or a necromancer
- 1 Samuel 28:11-14
For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
- 9:4; Leviticus 18:24,27
Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.
- Thou shalt
- Genesis 6:9; 17:1; Job 1:1,8; Psalms 37:37; Matthew 5:48; Philippians 3:12,15; Revelation 3:2
- or, upright, or, sincere.
For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.
- or, inherit. hath not suffered.
- 10; Genesis 20:6; Psalms 147:19,20; Acts 14:16
The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
- a Prophet
- 18,19; John 1:45; Acts 3:22,23; 7:37
- like unto me
- 5:5; 34:10; Luke 24:19; 1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 1:1,2; 2:1-3; 3:2-6
- unto him
- Matthew 17:5; Luke 9:35; 10:16; John 6:29; Hebrews 1:2; 1 John 3:23
According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.
- in Horeb
- Let me not hear
- 5:24-28; Exodus 20:19; Hebrews 12:19
And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
- raise them
- 15; John 1:45
- like unto
- 5:5; 33:5; Exodus 40:26-29; Numbers 12:6-8,13; Psalms 2:6; 110:4; Isaiah 9:6,7; Zechariah 6:12,13; Malachi 3:1; Luke 24:19; Galatians 3:19,20; 1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 3:2-6; Hebrews 7:22; 12:24,25
- will put
- Isaiah 50:4; 51:16; John 17:18
- he shall
- John 4:25; 8:28; 12:49,50; 15:15
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
- Mark 16:16; Acts 3:22,23; Hebrews 2:3; 3:7; 10:26; 12:25,26
But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
- the prophet
- 13:1-5; Jeremiah 14:14,15; 23:13-15,31; 27:15; Ezekiel 13:6; Matthew 7:15; 2 Peter 2:12
- in the name
- 13:1,2; 1 Kings 18:19,27,40; Jeremiah 2:8; 28:15-17; Zechariah 13:3; Revelation 19:20
And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
- 1 Thessalonians 5:24; 1 John 4:1-3; Revelation 2:2
When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.
- Isaiah 41:22; Jeremiah 28:1-14
- if the thing
- 13:2; 2 Kings 20:1; Jonah 3:4; 4:2; Zechariah 1:5,6
- 20; Jeremiah 28:15-17
- shalt not
- Proverbs 26:2