The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 7
So the king and Haman came to banquet with Esther the queen.
- Heb. drink.
- 3:15; 5:8
And the king said again unto Esther on the second day at the banquet of wine, What is thy petition, queen Esther? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? and it shall be performed, even to the half of the kingdom.
- the king said
- 5:6; John 16:24
Then Esther the queen answered and said, If I have found favour in thy sight, O king, and if it please the king, let my life be given me at my petition, and my people at my request:
- let my life
- 7; 1 Kings 20:31; 2 Kings 1:13; Job 2:4; Jeremiah 38:26
- my people
- 4:8; Psalms 122:6-9
For we are sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be slain, and to perish. But if we had been sold for bondmen and bondwomen, I had held my tongue, although the enemy could not countervail the king's damage.
- we are sold
- 3:9; 4:7,8; Deuteronomy 28:68; 1 Samuel 22:23
- to be destroyed, etc
- Heb. that they should destroy, and kill, and cause to perish.
- 3:13; 8:11; Psalms 44:22,23
- But if we
- Genesis 37:26-28; Deuteronomy 28:68; Joshua 9:23; Nehemiah 5:5; Joel 3:6; Amos 2:6
- the enemy
- 6; 3:9
Then the king Ahasuerus answered and said unto Esther the queen, Who is he, and where is he, that durst presume in his heart to do so?
- Who is he
- Genesis 27:33; Job 9:24
- that durst, etc
- Heb. whose heart hath filled him.
- Acts 5:3
And Esther said, The adversary and enemy is this wicked Haman. Then Haman was afraid before the king and the queen.
- The adversary
- Heb. The man adversary. this wicked.
- 1 Samuel 24:13; Psalms 27:2; 139:19-22; Proverbs 24:24,25; Ecclesiastes 5:8; 1 Corinthians 5:13; 2 Thessalonians 2:8
- was afraid
- Nehemiah 6:16; Job 15:21,22; 18:5-12; Psalms 73:5-9,17-20; Proverbs 16:14; Isaiah 21:4; Daniel 5:5,6
- or, at the presence of.
And the king arising from the banquet of wine in his wrath went into the palace garden: and Haman stood up to make request for his life to Esther the queen; for he saw that there was evil determined against him by the king.
- in his wrath
- Proverbs 14:19; Isaiah 60:14; Revelation 3:9
- for he saw
- 1 Samuel 20:7,9; 25:17; Psalms 112:10; Proverbs 19:12; Daniel 3:19
Then the king returned out of the palace garden into the place of the banquet of wine; and Haman was fallen upon the bed whereon Esther was. Then said the king, Will he force the queen also before me in the house? As the word went out of the king's mouth, they covered Haman's face.
- the bed
- 1:6; Isaiah 49:23
- before me
- Heb. with me. they covered Haman's. When a criminal was condemned by a Roman judge, he was delivered to the serjeant with these words: I, lictor, caput obnubito arbori infelici suspendito, "Go, sergeant, cover his head, and hang him on the accursed tree."
- 6:12; Job 9:24; Isaiah 22:17
And Harbonah, one of the chamberlains, said before the king, Behold also, the gallows fifty cubits high, which Haman had made for Mordecai, who had spoken good for the king, standeth in the house of Haman. Then the king said, Hang him thereon.
- one of the chamberlains.
- 6:14; 2 Kings 9:32
- 5:14; Job 27:20-23; Psalms 7:15,16; 35:8; 141:10; Proverbs 11:5,6
- Heb. tree. who had spoken.
- 2:21-23; 6:2
- Hang him thereon
- 9:25; 1 Samuel 17:51; Psalms 7:15,16; 9:15,16; 35:8; 37:35,36; 73:19; Proverbs 11:5,6; Daniel 6:7,24
So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then was the king's wrath pacified.
- Then was the king's
- Judges 15:7; Ezekiel 5:13; Zechariah 6:8