The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 27
And thou shalt make an altar of shittim wood, five cubits long, and five cubits broad; the altar shall be foursquare: and the height thereof shall be three cubits.
- altar of shittim wood
- 20:24-26; 24:4; 38:1-7; 40:10,29; 2 Samuel 24:18; 2 Chronicles 4:1; Ezekiel 43:13-17; Hebrews 13:10
And thou shalt make the horns of it upon the four corners thereof: his horns shall be of the same: and thou shalt overlay it with brass.
- horns of it upon the four corners thereof
- The horns might have been designed not only for ornament, but to prevent the sacrifices from falling off, and to tie the victim to, previous to its being sacrificed.
- 29:12; Leviticus 4:7,18,25; 8:15; 16:18; 1 Kings 1:50; 2:28; Psalms 118:27; Hebrews 6:18
- overlay it with brass
- Numbers 16:38,39; 1 Kings 8:64
And thou shalt make his pans to receive his ashes, and his shovels, and his basons, and his fleshhooks, and his firepans: all the vessels thereof thou shalt make of brass.
- his shovels
- Leviticus 16:12; 1 Kings 7:40,45; 2 Chronicles 4:11; Jeremiah 52:18
- 38:3; Numbers 4:14; 1 Samuel 2:13,14; 1 Chronicles 28:17; 2 Chronicles 4:16
- 1 Kings 7:45; 2 Kings 25:15; Jeremiah 52:19,20
And thou shalt make for it a grate of network of brass; and upon the net shalt thou make four brasen rings in the four corners thereof.
- a grate of network
- 35:16; 38:4,5
- rings in the four corners thereof
And thou shalt put it under the compass of the altar beneath, that the net may be even to the midst of the altar.
- compass of the altar
And thou shalt make staves for the altar, staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with brass.
- staves for the altar
- 35:13-15; 30:4; Numbers 4:44
And the staves shall be put into the rings, and the staves shall be upon the two sides of the altar, to bear it.
- bear it
- 25:28; 30:4; Numbers 4:13,14
Hollow with boards shalt thou make it: as it was shewed thee in the mount, so shall they make it.
- as it was shewed
- Heb. he shewed.
- 25:9,40; 26:30-37; 1 Chronicles 28:11,19; Matthew 15:9; Colossians 2:20-23; Hebrews 8:5
And thou shalt make the court of the tabernacle: for the south side southward there shall be hangings for the court of fine twined linen of an hundred cubits long for one side:
- the court
- 38:9-20; 40:8; 1 Kings 6:36; 8:64; 2 Chronicles 33:5; Psalms 84:10; 92:13; 100:4; Psalms 116:19; Ezekiel 40:14,20,23,28,32,44; 42:3,19,20; 46:20-24
- hangings for
- 26:31-37; 36:17; 39:40
And the twenty pillars thereof and their twenty sockets shall be of brass; the hooks of the pillars and their fillets shall be of silver.
- sockets shall be of brass
- fillets shall be of silver
- 36:38; Jeremiah 52:21
The hangings of one side of the gate shall be fifteen cubits: their pillars three, and their sockets three.
- hangings of one side
- 9; 26:36
And for the gate of the court shall be an hanging of twenty cubits, of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen, wrought with needlework: and their pillars shall be four, and their sockets four.
- of blue
- 28:39; 36:37; 39:29; Judges 5:30; Psalms 45:14
The length of the court shall be an hundred cubits, and the breadth fifty every where, and the height five cubits of fine twined linen, and their sockets of brass.
- length of the court
- fifty every where
- Heb. fifty by fifty.
All the vessels of the tabernacle in all the service thereof, and all the pins thereof, and all the pins of the court, shall be of brass.
- all the pins thereof
- 3; 35:18; 38:20,31; 39:40; Numbers 3:37; 4:32; Ezra 9:8; Ecclesiastes 12:11; Isaiah 22:23-25; 33:20; Zechariah 10:4
And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always.
- pure oil olive beaten
- That is, such oil as could be easily expressed from the olives, after they had been bruised in a mortar; and which is much purer than that obtained after the olives are put under the press.
- 39:37; Leviticus 24:2-4; Judges 9:9; Psalms 23:5; Zechariah 4:11-14; Revelation 11:4
- for the light
- to cause the lamp
- Josephus says, that the whole of the seven lamps burned all night; and that in the morning four were extinguished, and three burned the whole of the day. Such might have been the practice in his time; but it appears sufficiently evident from ch. 30:8, and 1 Sa 3:3, that they were anciently extinguished in the morning.
- to burn
- Heb. to ascend up.
In the tabernacle of the congregation without the vail, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel.
- the tabernacle of the congregation
- 29:10,44; Leviticus 3:8; Numbers 8:9
- without the vail
- 26:31-33; 40:3
- 16:34; 25:16,21
- 30:8; 1 Samuel 3:3; 2 Chronicles 13:11; Malachi 2:7; Matthew 4:16; Luke 12:35; John 5:35; 2 Corinthians 4:6; 2 Peter 1:19; Revelation 2:1
- Genesis 1:5,8; Leviticus 24:3; Psalms 134:1
- a statute for ever
- 28:43; 29:9,28; Leviticus 3:17; 16:34; 24:9; Numbers 18:23; 19:21; 1 Samuel 30:25