The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 25
Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering.
- 35:5-29; Numbers 7:3-88; Deuteronomy 16:16,17; 1 Chronicles 29:1-30
- bring me
- Heb. take for me. offering. or, heave offering
- Numbers 18:24
- 35:5,21; Judges 5:9; 1 Chronicles 29:3,5,9,14,17; Ezra 1:6; 2:68; 3:5; 7:16; Nehemiah 11:2; Psalms 110:3; 2 Corinthians 8:12; 9:7
And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass,
- Nechosheth, rather, copper; as brass is a factitious metal, composed of copper, and the oxide or ore of zinc, called lapis calaminaris.
- Deuteronomy 8:9; Job 28:2
And blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen, and goats' hair,
- Techaileth, generally supposed to mean an azure or sky-colour; rendered by the LXX, [uakinthon] uakinthon, and Vulgate, hyacinthum.
- fine linen
- or, silk.
- Genesis 41:42; Ezekiel 16:10; Revelation 19:8
And rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins, and shittim wood,
- shittim wood
- 26:15,26,37; 27:1; 36:20
Oil for the light, spices for anointing oil, and for sweet incense,
- Oil for
- 37; 27:20; 40:24,25
Onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod, and in the breastplate.
- Onyx stones
And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
- a sanctuary
- 15:2; 36:1-4; Leviticus 4:6; 10:4; 21:12; Hebrews 9:1,2
- I may dwell
- 29:45; 1 Kings 6:13; Isaiah 12:6; Zechariah 2:10; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Hebrews 3:6; Revelation 21:3
According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.
- the pattern of the tabernacle
- 40; 1 Chronicles 28:11-19; Hebrews 8:5; 9:9
And they shall make an ark of shittim wood: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
- an ark
- Aron denotes a chest, or coffer, in general; but is applied particularly to the chest or ark in which the testimony or two tables of the covenant were laid up; on the top of which was the propitiatory or mercy seat; and at the end of which were the cherubim of gold; between whom the visible sign of the presence of God appeared as seated upon his throne.
- 37:1-3; Deuteronomy 10:1-3; 2 Chronicles 8:11; Hebrews 9:4; Revelation 11:19
And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, within and without shalt thou overlay it, and shalt make upon it a crown of gold round about.
- 24; 30:3; 1 Kings 6:20; 2 Chronicles 3:4
And thou shalt cast four rings of gold for it, and put them in the four corners thereof; and two rings shall be in the one side of it, and two rings in the other side of it.
- 15,26; 26:29; 27:7; 37:5; 38:7
And thou shalt make staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold.
- 28; 27:6; 30:5; 37:4; 40:20; Numbers 4:6,8,11,14; 1 Chronicles 15:15
The staves shall be in the rings of the ark: they shall not be taken from it.
- 1 Kings 8:8; 2 Chronicles 5:9
And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.
- 16:34; 27:21; 30:6,36; 31:18; 32:15; 34:29; 38:21; Numbers 17:4; Deuteronomy 10:2-5; 31:26; 1 Kings 8:9; 2 Kings 11:12; 2 Chronicles 34:14,15; Acts 7:44; Romans 3:2; Hebrews 9:4
And thou shalt make a mercy seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof.
- mercy seat
- 26:34; 37:6; 40:20; Leviticus 16:12-15; 1 Chronicles 28:11; Romans 3:25; Hebrews 4:16; 9:5; 1 John 2:2
And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat.
- two cherubims of gold
- 37:7-9; Genesis 3:24; 1 Samuel 4:4; 1 Kings 6:23-28; 8:6,7; 1 Chronicles 28:18; Ezekiel 10:2,20; 41:18,19; Hebrews 9:5
And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof.
- of the
- or, of the matter of the.
And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.
- cherubims shall
- 18; 1 Kings 8:7; 1 Chronicles 28:18; 2 Chronicles 3:10
- Ezekiel 28:14
- Genesis 28:12; Isaiah 6:1-5; Ezekiel 1:20; Matthew 24:31; John 1:51; 1 Corinthians 4:9; 11:10; Ephesians 3:10; Colossians 2:10; Hebrews 1:14; 1 Peter 1:12; 3:22; Revelation 5:11,12
And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.
- mercy seat
- 17; 26:34; Romans 10:4
And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel.
- and I will
- 20:24; 30:6,36; 31:18; Genesis 18:33; Leviticus 1:1; 16:2; Numbers 7:89; 17:4; Deuteronomy 5:26-31; Judges 20:27
- 29:42,43; 31:6; 1 Samuel 4:4; 2 Samuel 6:2; 2 Kings 19:15; Psalms 80:1; 90:1; 99:1; Isaiah 37:16
Thou shalt also make a table of shittim wood: two cubits shall be the length thereof, and a cubit the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
- a table
- 37:10-16; 40:22,23; Leviticus 24:6; Numbers 3:31; 1 Kings 7:48; 1 Chronicles 28:16; 2 Chronicles 4:8,19; Ezekiel 40:41,42; Hebrews 9:2
- shittim wood
- Shittim wood is probably the acacia Nilotica. St. Jerome says, that the shittim wood grows in the deserts of Arabia, and is like white thorn, as to its colour and leaves; but the tree is so large as to furnish very long planks. The wood is hard, tough, and extremely beautiful. It is thought he means the black acacia, because that is the most common tree in the deserts of Arabia. It is of the size of a large mulberry tree. The spreading branches and larger limbs are armed with thorns, which grow three together. The bark is rough; and the leaves are oblong, standing opposite each other. The flowers, though sometimes white, are generally of a bright yellow; and the fruit, which resembles a bean, is contained in pods like those of the lupin. "The acacia," says Dr. Shaw, "being by much the largest and most common tree in the deserts," (Arabia Petrĉa,) we have some reason to conjecture that the shittim wood was the wood of the acacia, especially as its flowers are of an excellent smell; for the shittah tree is, in Isa 41:19, joined with the myrtle and other fragrant shrubs. It may be remarked, that of the two Hebrew names, shittim is masculine, and shittah feminine. So Mr. Bruce says, "the male is called saiel; from it proceeds the gula Arabic, on incision with an axe."
And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, and make thereto a crown of gold round about.
- 11; 1 Kings 6:20-22
And thou shalt make unto it a border of an hand breadth round about, and thou shalt make a golden crown to the border thereof round about.
- a golden crown to the border
- 30:3; 37:2
And thou shalt make for it four rings of gold, and put the rings in the four corners that are on the four feet thereof.
- four rings of gold
Over against the border shall the rings be for places of the staves to bear the table.
- for places of the staves
And thou shalt make the staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold, that the table may be borne with them.
- the table
- 14,27; Numbers 10:17; Acts 9:15
And thou shalt make the dishes thereof, and spoons thereof, and covers thereof, and bowls thereof, to cover withal: of pure gold shalt thou make them.
- 37:16; Numbers 4:7; 7:13,19,31-33; 1 Kings 7:50; 2 Chronicles 4:22; Ezra 1:9-11; Jeremiah 52:18,19
- to cover
- or, to pour out.
- Leviticus 24:5-9; Song of Solomon 5:1; Revelation 3:20
And thou shalt set upon the table shewbread before me alway.
- 35:13; 39:36; Leviticus 24:5,6; Numbers 4:7; 1 Samuel 21:6; 1 Chronicles 9:32; 23:29; 2 Chronicles 13:11; Malachi 1:7,12; Matthew 12:4
And thou shalt make a candlestick of pure gold: of beaten work shall the candlestick be made: his shaft, and his branches, his bowls, his knops, and his flowers, shall be of the same.
- a candlestick
- 35:14; 37:17-24; 40:24,25; 1 Kings 7:49; 2 Chronicles 13:11; Zechariah 4:2; Hebrews 9:2; Revelation 1:12,20; 2:1,5; 4:5
- his knops
- 1 Kings 6:18; 7:24
Three bowls made like unto almonds, with a knop and a flower in one branch; and three bowls made like almonds in the other branch, with a knop and a flower: so in the six branches that come out of the candlestick.
- like unto
- Numbers 17:4-8; Jeremiah 1:11,12
- and three
- 37:19,20; Zechariah 4:3
Their knops and their branches shall be of the same: all it shall be one beaten work of pure gold.
- 18; Numbers 8:4; 1 Kings 10:16,17; 2 Chronicles 9:15
And thou shalt make the seven lamps thereof: and they shall light the lamps thereof, that they may give light over against it.
- 37:23; Zechariah 4:2; Revelation 1:4,12,20; 2:1; 4:5
- they shall
- 27:21; 30:8; Leviticus 24:2-4; 2 Chronicles 13:11
- or, cause to ascend. give.
- 40:24; Numbers 8:2; Psalms 119:105; Proverbs 6:23; Isaiah 8:20; Matthew 5:14; Luke 1:79; John 1:9; 8:12; 12:5; Acts 26:18; Revelation 21:23-25; 22:5
- Heb. the face of it.
- Numbers 8:2
And the tongs thereof, and the snuffdishes thereof, shall be of pure gold.
- the tongs
- 2 Chronicles 4:21; Isaiah 6:6
- snuff dishes
- 37:23; Numbers 4:9; 1 Kings 7:50; 2 Kings 12:13; 25:14; Jeremiah 52:18
And look that thou make them after their pattern, which was shewed thee in the mount.
- that thou make
- 26:30; 39:42,43; Numbers 8:4; 1 Chronicles 28:11,19; Ezekiel 43:11,12; Acts 7:44; Hebrews 8:5
- was shewed thee in the mount
- Heb. thou wast caused to see in the mount.