The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 26
And it came to pass in the eleventh year, in the first day of the month, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
- 1:2; 8:1; 20:1; Jeremiah 39:2
Son of man, because that Tyrus hath said against Jerusalem, Aha, she is broken that was the gates of the people: she is turned unto me: I shall be replenished, now she is laid waste:
- 27:1-28; Joshua 19:29; Psalms 83:7; Isaiah 23:1-18; Jeremiah 25:22; 27:3; 47:4; Joel 3:4; Amos 1:9,10; Zechariah 9:2-4
- 25:2,3,6; 36:2; Psalms 35:21; 40:15; 70:3; 83:2-4
- the gates
- Lamentations 1:1; Acts 2:5-10
- she is
- 25:10; Jeremiah 49:1
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus, and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up.
- These verses (3-6) contain a summary prediction of what befel both the continental and insular Tyre, during a long succession of ages. The former was totally destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, after a siege of thirteen years, B.C. 573; and the latter, which arose out of its ruins, after seventy years recovered its ancient wealth and splendour, as foretold by Isaiah, (ch. 23:15-17.) After it was taken and burnt by Alexander, B.C. 332, it speedily recovered its strength and dignity, and nineteen years afterwards withstood both the fleets and armies of Antigonus. Agreeably to the prophetic declarations, (Ps 45:12; 72:10. Isa 23:18. Zec 9:1-7,) it was early converted to Christianity; and after being successively taken by the Saracens, Christians, Mamalukes, and Turks, in whose hands it still remains, it became "a place for the spreading of nets."
- I am
- 5:8; 21:3; 28:22; 38:3; Jeremiah 21:13; 50:31; Nahum 2:12
- Micah 4:11; Zechariah 14:2
- as the sea
- 27:26,32-34; Psalms 93:3,4; 107:25; Isaiah 5:30; Jeremiah 6:23; 51:42; Luke 21:25
And they shall <I>destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.
- 9; Isaiah 23:11; Jeremiah 5:10; Amos 1:10; Zechariah 9:3
- 12; Leviticus 14:41-45
It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD: and it shall become a spoil to the nations.
- the spreading
- 14,19; 27:32; 47:10
- and it
- 25:7; 29:19
And her daughters which are in the field shall be slain by the sword; and they shall know that I am the LORD.
- her daughters
- 8; 16:46,48; Jeremiah 49:2
- and they
For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people.
- I will
- 3; 28:7; 29:18-20; 30:10,11; 32:11,12; Jeremiah 25:9,22; 27:3-6
- a king
- 17:14; Ezra 7:12; Isaiah 10:8; Jeremiah 52:32; Daniel 2:37,47; Hosea 8:10
- with horses
- 10,11; 23:24; Jeremiah 4:13; 6:23; Nahum 2:3,4; 3:2,3
He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee.
- he shall make
- 21:22; 2 Samuel 20:15; Jeremiah 52:4
- cast a mount
- or, pour out the engine of shot.
- Jeremiah 6:6; 32:24; *marg:
And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.
- 2 Chronicles 26:15
By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.
- the abundance
- 7; Jeremiah 47:3
- 15; 27:28; Nahum 2:3,4
- Joshua 6:5,20
- as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach
- Heb. according to the enterings of a city broken up.
With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.
- Isaiah 5:28; Jeremiah 51:27; Habakkuk 1:8
- Isaiah 26:5
And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water.
- make a spoil
- 5; Matthew 6:19,20
- thy merchandise
- 27:3-36; Isaiah 23:8,11,17,18; Zechariah 9:3,4; Revelation 18:11-13
- thy pleasant houses
- Heb. houses of thy desire.
- 2 Chronicles 32:27; 36:10; Isaiah 32:12; Jeremiah 25:34; Daniel 11:8; Hosea 13:15; Amos 5:11; Nahum 2:9; Zechariah 7:14; *margins
- they shalt lay
- The ruins of old Tyre contributed much to the taking of the new city; for with the stones, timber, and rubbish, Alexander built a bank, or causeway, from the continent to the island, thereby literally fulfilling the words of the prophet.
And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard.
- 28:13; Isaiah 14:11; 22:2; 23:7,16; 24:8,9; Jeremiah 7:34; 16:9; 25:10; Hosea 2:11; Amos 6:4-7; James 5:1-5; Revelation 18:22,23
And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.
- I will
- Old Tyre was never rebuilt after its destruction by Nebuchadnezzar; and there are now no traces left to mark its site. The new city, when visited by Maundrell, Bruce, and other travellers, was literally "a place for fishers to dry their nets on."
- be built
- Deuteronomy 13:16; Job 12:14; Malachi 1:4
- for I
- 5:13,15,17; 17:21-24; 21:32; 22:14; 30:12; Numbers 23:19; Job 40:8; Isaiah 14:27; Matthew 24:35
Thus saith the Lord GOD to Tyrus; Shall not the isles shake at the sound of thy fall, when the wounded cry, when the slaughter is made in the midst of thee?
- 18; 27:28,35; 31:16; 32:10; Isaiah 2:19; Jeremiah 49:21; Hebrews 12:26,27
Then all the princes of the sea shall come down from their thrones, and lay away their robes, and put off their broidered garments: they shall clothe themselves with trembling; they shall sit upon the ground, and shall tremble at every moment, and be astonished at thee.
- all the princes
- 27:29-36; 32:21-32; Isaiah 14:9-13; 23:1-8; Revelation 18:11-19
- Exodus 33:4,5; Job 2:12; Jonah 3:6
- 7:8; Job 8:22; Psalms 35:26; 109:18,29; 132:18; 1 Peter 5:5
- Heb. tremblings. sit.
- Job 2:13; Isaiah 3:26; 47:1; 52:2; Lamentations 2:10
- 32:10; Exodus 15:15; Daniel 5:6; Hosea 11:10; Revelation 18:15
- be astonished
And they shall take up a lamentation for thee, and say to thee, How art thou destroyed, that wast inhabited of seafaring men, the renowned city, which wast strong in the sea, she and her inhabitants, which cause their terror to be on all that haunt it!
- 19:1,14; 27:2,32; 28:12-19; 32:2,16; Jeremiah 6:26; 7:29; 9:20; Micah 2:4
- How art
- 2 Samuel 1:19,25-27; Isaiah 14:12; Lamentations 1:1; Joel 1:18; Obadiah 1:5; Zephaniah 2:15; Revelation 18:9,10,16-19
- seafaring men
- Heb. the seas. strong.
- 27:3-36; 28:2-10; Joshua 19:29; Isaiah 23:4,8
Now shall the isles tremble in the day of thy fall; yea, the isles that are in the sea shall be troubled at thy departure.
- the isles tremble
- 15; 27:28-30
- at thy
- Isaiah 23:5-7,10-12
For thus saith the Lord GOD; When I shall make thee a desolate city, like the cities that are not inhabited; when I shall bring up the deep upon thee, and great waters shall cover thee;
- 3; Isaiah 8:7,8; Daniel 9:26; 11:40; Revelation 17:15
When I shall bring thee down with them that descend into the pit, with the people of old time, and shall set thee in the low parts of the earth, in places desolate of old, with them that go down to the pit, that thou be not inhabited; and I shall set glory in the land of the living;
- I shall bring
- 32:18-32; 34:1-31; Numbers 16:30,33; Psalms 28:1; Isaiah 14:11-19; Luke 10:15
- in places
- Job 30:3-6; Psalms 88:3-6; Isaiah 59:10; Lamentations 3:6
- and I shall set
- 28:25,26; 39:7,25-29; Isaiah 4:5; Zechariah 2:8
- in the land
- 32:23,26,27,32; Psalms 27:13
I will make thee a terror, and thou shalt be no more: though thou be sought for, yet shalt thou never be found again, saith the Lord GOD.
- a terror
- Heb. terrors.
- 15,16; 27:36; 28:19
- 14; Psalms 37:36; Jeremiah 51:64; Revelation 18:21