The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 25
Son of man, set thy face against the Ammonites, and prophesy against them;
- thy face
- 6:2; 20:46; 21:2; 35:2
- the Ammonites
- 21:28-32; Genesis 19:38; Jeremiah 9:25,26; 25:21; 27:3; 49:1-6; Amos 1:13-15; Zephaniah 2:8-11
And say unto the Ammonites, Hear the word of the Lord GOD; Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou saidst, Aha, against my sanctuary, when it was profaned; and against the land of Israel, when it was desolate; and against the house of Judah, when they went into captivity;
- thou saidst
- 6,8; 26:2-21; 35:10-15; 36:2; Psalms 70:2,3; Proverbs 17:5; 24:17,18; Lamentations 2:21,22; 4:21; Micah 7:8
Behold, therefore I will deliver thee to the men of the east for a possession, and they shall set their palaces in thee, and make their dwellings in thee: they shall eat thy fruit, and they shall drink thy milk.
- Heb. children.
- Judges 6:3,33; 7:12; 8:10; 1 Kings 4:30; Josephus expressly states, that five years after the destruction of Jerusalem, Nebuchadnezzar turned his arms against the Ammonites and Moabites, and entirely subjugated them; and it is probable, that the Arabs, and other nations east of Judah, then took possession of their cities, and enjoyed the fruits of their land. The country of Moab and Ammon is now inhabited by the Bedouin Arabs; where they pasture their flocks, and, no doubt, make the ruins of Rabbah, their one proud capital, "a stable for camels," and other cattle. See Note on 2; 12:26.
- of the east
- Genesis 29:1; Numbers 23:7; Isaiah 41:2
- they shall eat
- Leviticus 26:16; Deuteronomy 28:33,51; Judges 6:3-6; Isaiah 1:7; 32:8,9; 65:22
And I will make Rabbah a stable for camels, and the Ammonites a couchingplace for flocks: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
- 2 Samuel 12:26
- a stable
- Isaiah 17:2; 32:14; Zephaniah 2:14,15
- and ye
- 8; 24:24; 26:6; 30:8; 35:9; 38:23; Psalms 83:18; Isaiah 37:20
For thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou hast clapped thine hands, and stamped with the feet, and rejoiced in heart with all thy despite against the land of Israel;
- thou hast
- Job 27:23; 34:37; Jeremiah 48:27; Lamentations 2:15; Nahum 3:19; Zephaniah 2:15
- Heb. hand. stamped.
- Heb. foot. rejoiced.
- 15; 35:15; 36:5; Nehemiah 4:3,4; *marg:; Proverbs 24:17; Obadiah 1:12; Zephaniah 2:8,10
- Heb. soul.
Behold, therefore I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and will deliver thee for a spoil to the heathen; and I will cut thee off from the people, and I will cause thee to perish out of the countries: I will destroy thee; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.
- I will stretch
- 13,16; 14:9; 35:3; Zephaniah 1:4
- and will
- Jeremiah 49:2; Amos 1:14
- a spoil
- or, meat.
Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because that Moab and Seir do say, Behold, the house of Judah is like unto all the heathen;
- Numbers 24:17; Psalms 83:4-8; Isaiah 15:1-16; 25:10; Jeremiah 25:21; 48:1-47; Amos 2:1-3; Zephaniah 2:8-11
- 12-14; 35:1-15; Deuteronomy 2:5; Isaiah 34:1-17; 63:1-6; Jeremiah 27:3; 49:7-22; Amos 2:11,12; Obadiah 1:1-9
- the house
- Isaiah 10:9-11; 36:18-20
Therefore, behold, I will open the side of Moab from the cities, from his cities which are on his frontiers, the glory of the country, Bethjeshimoth, Baalmeon, and Kiriathaim,
- or, shoulder. Beth-jeshimoth.
- Joshua 13:20
- Numbers 32:37,38; Joshua 13:17,19; Jeremiah 48:23
Unto the men of the east with the Ammonites, and will give them in possession, that the Ammonites may not be remembered among the nations.
- the men
- with the Ammonites
- or, against the children of Ammon.
- 21:32; Psalms 83:3-6; Isaiah 23:16
And I will execute judgments upon Moab; and they shall know that I am the LORD.
- I will
- 17; 5:8,10,15; 11:9; 16:41; 30:14,19; 39:21; Psalms 9:16; 149:7; Jude 1:15
- Jeremiah 9:25,26; 25:21; 48:1-47
- and they
- 5; 35:15
Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because that Edom hath dealt against the house of Judah by taking vengeance, and hath greatly offended, and revenged himself upon them;
- 8; 35:1-15; 2 Chronicles 28:17,18; Psalms 137:7; Jeremiah 49:7-22
- taking vengeance
- Heb. revenging, revengement.
- Genesis 27:41,42; Amos 1:11,12; Obadiah 1:10-16
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; I will also stretch out mine hand upon Edom, and will cut off man and beast from it; and I will make it desolate from Teman; and they of Dedan shall fall by the sword.
- I will also
- 7,16; Isaiah 34:1-17; 63:1-6; Lamentations 4:21,22; Malachi 1:3,4
- and will
- 14:8,13,17,19-21; 29:8; Genesis 6:7; Jeremiah 7:20
- Genesis 36:11; Jeremiah 49:7,20; Obadiah 1:9; Habakkuk 3:3
- of Dedan shall fall by the sword
- or, shall fall by the sword unto Dedan.
- Jeremiah 25:23; 49:8
And I will lay my vengeance upon Edom by the hand of my people Israel: and they shall do in Edom according to mine anger and according to my fury; and they shall know my vengeance, saith the Lord GOD.
- by the hand
- This was fulfilled by the Maccabees, who not only entirely subjugated them, but obliged them to receive circumcision.
- Genesis 27:29; Isaiah 11:14; 63:1-6; Jeremiah 49:2
- and they shall know
- Deuteronomy 32:35,36; Psalms 58:10,11; Nahum 1:2-4; Hebrews 10:30,31; Revelation 6:16,17
Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because the Philistines have dealt by revenge, and have taken vengeance with a despiteful heart, to destroy it for the old hatred;
- 6,12; Isaiah 14:29-31; Jeremiah 25:20; 47:1-7; Joel 3:4-21; Zephaniah 2:4-7; Amos 1:6-8; Zechariah 9:5-8
- 2 Chronicles 28:18; Psalms 83:7; Isaiah 9:12
- to destroy
- Judges 14:1-16; 1 Samuel 4:1-6; 13:1-14; 17:1-58; 21:1-15; 2 Samuel 8:1-18; 1 Chronicles 7:21
- for the old hatred
- or, with perpetual hatred.
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will stretch out mine hand upon the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethims, and destroy the remnant of the sea coast.
- I will stretch
- These predictions against the Philistines, Edomites, and others, seem to have been fulfilled by by Nebuchadnezzar during the siege of Tyre. Berosus states that he subdued Syria, Arabia, Phoenicia, and Egypt; and now their very names have no existence, except in history.
- 1 Samuel 30:14; 2 Samuel 15:18; Zephaniah 2:4,5-15
- and destroy.
- Jeremiah 47:4
- sea coasts
- or, haven of the sea.
And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.
- I will
- 11; 5:15
- Heb. vengeances. they shall.
- 5,11,14; 6:7; Psalms 9:16