The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 38
Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,
- 2:1; 39:1
- 6:2; 20:46; 25:2; 35:2,3
- Rather, "Gog (the prince) of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal." By Magog is most probably meant the Scythians or Tartars, called so by Arabian and Syrian writers, and especially the Turks, who were originally natives of Tartary; and by Rosh, the Russians, descendants of the ancient inhabitants on the river Araxes or Rosh.
- Revelation 20:8,9
- Genesis 10:2; 1 Chronicles 1:5
- the chief prince of
- or, prince of the chief of. Meshech.
- 27:13; 32:26; Isaiah 66:19
And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:
- I am
- 13:8; 29:3; 35:3; 39:1,2-10
And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts of armour, even a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords:
- I will turn
- 29:4; 39:2; 2 Kings 19:28; Isaiah 37:29
- 15; Daniel 11:40
- all of them
- 1 Chronicles 12:8; 2 Chronicles 25:5; Jeremiah 46:9
Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:
- or, Phut.
- 30:5; Genesis 10:6; 1 Chronicles 1:8; Nahum 3:9
Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: and many people with thee.
- Genesis 10:2; 1 Chronicles 1:5
- 27:14; Genesis 10:3; 1 Chronicles 1:6; Daniel 11:40
Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou a guard unto them.
- 2 Chronicles 25:8; Psalms 2:1-4; Isaiah 8:9,10; 37:22; Jeremiah 46:3-5,14-16; 51:12; Joel 3:9-12; Amos 4:12; Zechariah 14:2,3
After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.
- many days
- 16; Genesis 49:1; Numbers 24:14; Deuteronomy 4:30; Jeremiah 48:47; 49:39; Hosea 3:3-5; Habakkuk 2:3
- thou shalt be
- Exodus 20:5; Isaiah 24:22; 29:6; Jeremiah 32:5; Lamentations 4:22
- into the land
- 12; 36:24-38; 37:21-28; 39:27-29; Isaiah 11:11-16; Jeremiah 30:3,18; 32:37; Amos 9:14,15
- the mountains
- 34:13; 36:1-8
- it is
- 1 Peter 2:9
- and they shall
- 11; 28:26; 34:25-28; Jeremiah 23:6; 33:16
Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee.
- shalt ascend
- 13:11; Isaiah 21:1,2; 25:4; 28:2; Daniel 11:40
- 16; Jeremiah 4:13; Joel 2:2
- all thy
- Isaiah 8:9,10
Thus saith the Lord GOD; It shall also come to pass, that at the same time shall things come into thy mind, and thou shalt think an evil thought:
- that at
- Psalms 83:3,4; 139:2; Proverbs 19:21; Isaiah 10:7; Mark 7:21; John 13:2; Acts 5:3,9; Acts 8:22; 1 Corinthians 4:5
- think an evil thought
- or, conceive a mischievous purpose.
- Psalms 36:4; Proverbs 6:14,18; 12:2; Micah 2:1
And thou shalt say, I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates,
- go up
- Exodus 15:9; Psalms 10:9; Proverbs 1:11-16; Isaiah 37:24,25; Romans 3:15
- go to
- Judges 18:7,27; Jeremiah 49:31,32; Zechariah 2:4,5
- or, confidently.
- 8; Proverbs 3:29,30
To take a spoil, and to take a prey; to turn thine hand upon the desolate places that are now inhabited, and upon the people that are gathered out of the nations, which have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the midst of the land.
- take a spoil, and to take a prey
- Heb. spoil the spoil, and to prey the prey.
- 29:19; *marg:; Isaiah 10:6; Jeremiah 30:16
- Isaiah 1:24,25; Amos 1:8; Zechariah 13:7
- the desolate
- 36:33-35; Jeremiah 32:43,44; 33:12,13; Zechariah 1:12,17
- and upon
- 8; Zechariah 10:8-10
- Heb. navel.
- Judges 9:37; *marg:
Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, shall say unto thee, Art thou come to take a spoil? hast thou gathered thy company to take a prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take a great spoil?
- 19:3-6; 32:2; Psalms 57:4; Jeremiah 50:17; 51:38; Nahum 2:11-13; Zechariah 11:3
Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?
- in that
- Isaiah 4:1,2
- 8,11; Jeremiah 23:6; Zechariah 2:5,8
And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:
- thy place
- 39:2; Daniel 11:40
- and many
- 4,6; Joel 3:2; Zephaniah 3:8; Zechariah 12:2-4; 14:2,3; Revelation 16:14,16; 20:8
And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.
- as a cloud
- it shall be
- Though it is not generally agreed what people or transactions are here predicted, yet it seems evident that the prophecy is not yet accomplished. Nothing occurred in the wars of Cambyses, or Antiochus Epiphanes with the Jews, that answers to it; and the expression here used, in the latter days, plainly implies that there should be a succession of many ages between the publication of the prediction and its accomplishment. It is therefore supposed, with much probability, that its fulfilment will be posterior to the conversion of the Jews and their restoration to their own land; and that the Turks, Tarters, or Scythians, from the northern parts of Asia, perhaps uniting with the inhabitants of some more southern regions, will make war upon the Jews and be cut off in a manner predicted here.
- 8; Deuteronomy 31:29; Isaiah 2:2; Daniel 2:28; 10:14; Hosea 3:5; Micah 4:1; 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 3:1
- that the
- 23; 36:23; 39:21; Exodus 14:4; 1 Samuel 17:45-47; 2 Kings 19:19; Psalms 83:17,18; Daniel 3:24-29; 4:32-37; 6:15-27; Micah 7:15-17; Matthew 6:9,10
Thus saith the Lord GOD; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?
- 10,11,16; Psalms 110:5,6; Isaiah 27:1; 34:1-6; 63:1-6; 66:15,16; Daniel 11:40-45; Joel 3:9-14; Zechariah 12:2-8; 14:1-21
- Heb. the hands of.
And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face.
- 36:5,6; Deuteronomy 32:22; Psalms 18:7,8; 89:46; Nahum 1:2; Hebrews 12:29
For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel;
- in my
- 39:25; Deuteronomy 29:20; Isaiah 42:13; Joel 2:18; Zechariah 1:14
- Joel 3:16; Haggai 2:6,7,21,22; Hebrews 12:26; Revelation 11:13; 16:18,20
So that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field, and all creeping things that creep upon the earth, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at my presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.
- the fishes
- Jeremiah 4:23-26; Hosea 4:3; Nahum 1:4-6; Zechariah 14:4,5; Revelation 6:12,13
- steep places
- or, towers, or stairs.
- Isaiah 30:25; 2 Corinthians 10:4
And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD: every man's sword shall be against his brother.
- I will
- 14:17; Psalms 105:16
- Judges 7:22; 1 Samuel 14:20; 2 Chronicles 20:23; Haggai 2:22
And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
- I will plead
- Isaiah 66:16; Jeremiah 25:31; Zechariah 14:12-15
- with pestilence
- an overflowing
- 13:11; Genesis 19:24; Exodus 9:22-25; Joshua 10:11; Psalms 11:6; 18:12-14; 77:16-18; Isaiah 28:17; 29:6; 30:30-33; Matthew 7:27; Revelation 16:21
Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD.
- and I
- 16; 37:28; 39:7,13,27; Psalms 9:16; Revelation 15:3,4; 19:1-6