The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 43
Afterward he brought me to the gate, even the gate that looketh toward the east:
- the gate that
- 40:6; 42:15; 44:1; 46:1
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.
- the glory
- 1:28; 3:23; 9:3; 10:18,19; Isaiah 6:3; John 12:41
- and his voice
- 1:24; Revelation 1:15; 14:2; 19:1,6
- the earth
- 10:4; Isaiah 60:1-3; Habakkuk 2:14; 3:3; Revelation 18:1; 21:23
And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face.
- according to the appearance
- 1:4-28; 8:4; 9:3; 10:1-22; 11:22,23
- to destroy the city
- or, to prophesy that the city should be destroyed.
- 9:1,5; 32:18; Jeremiah 1:10; Revelation 11:3-6
- the river
- 1:3; 3:23
And the glory of the LORD came into the house by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east.
- the glory
- Though the personal presence of Immanuel in the second temple rendered it more glorious than that of Solomon, (Hag 2:5-9,) yet this part of the vision rather relates to the times predicted in the whole of this description, those which shall succeed the conversion of the Jews, and their restoration to their own land.
- 10:18,19; 44:2
So the spirit took me up, and brought me into the inner court; and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house.
- the spirit
- 3:12-14; 8:3; 11:24; 37:1; 40:2; 1 Kings 18:12; 2 Kings 2:16; Acts 8:39
- and brought
- Song of Solomon 1:4; 2 Corinthians 12:2-4
- the glory
- 44:4; Exodus 40:34; 1 Kings 8:10,11; 2 Chronicles 5:14; Isaiah 6:3; Haggai 2:7-9
And I heard him speaking unto me out of the house; and the man stood by me.
- I heard
- Leviticus 1:1; Isaiah 66:6; Revelation 16:1
- the man
And he said unto me, Son of man, the place of my throne, and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the children of Israel for ever, and my holy name, shall the house of Israel no more defile, neither they, nor their kings, by their whoredom, nor by the carcases of their kings in their high places.
- the place of my throne
- 1:26; 10:1; Psalms 47:8; 99:1; Isaiah 6:1; Jeremiah 3:17; 14:21; 17:12; Acts 7:48,49; Revelation 22:3
- and the place
- 1 Chronicles 28:2; Psalms 99:5; Isaiah 66:1; Matthew 5:34,35
- where I
- 9; 37:26-28; 48:35; Exodus 29:45; Psalms 68:18; 132:14; Joel 3:17; Matthew 28:20; John 1:14; 14:23; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Revelation 21:2,3
- no more
- 20:39; 23:38,39; 39:7; Hosea 14:8; Zechariah 13:2; 14:20,21
- by the carcases
- 9; Leviticus 26:30; Jeremiah 16:18
In their setting of their threshold by my thresholds, and their post by my posts, and the wall between me and them, they have even defiled my holy name by their abominations that they have committed: wherefore I have consumed them in mine anger.
- 5:11; 8:3-16; 23:39; 44:7; 2 Kings 16:14,15; 21:4-7; 23:11,12; 2 Chronicles 33:4,7
- and the wall between me and them
- or, for there was but a wall between me and them.
Now let them put away their whoredom, and the carcases of their kings, far from me, and I will dwell in the midst of them for ever.
- Now let
- Rather, "Now shall they put away their whoredom and the carcases of their kings far from me, and I will dwell in the midst of them for ever." It is a prediction and promise, and not an exhortation.
- 18:30,31; Hosea 2:2; Colossians 3:5-9
- the carcases
- 7; 37:23
- and I
- 7; 37:26-28; 2 Corinthians 6:16
Thou son of man, shew the house to the house of Israel, that they may be ashamed of their iniquities: and let them measure the pattern.
- 40:4; Exodus 25:40; 1 Chronicles 28:11,19
- that they
- 11; 16:61,63; 23:31,32; Romans 6:21
- or, sum, or number.
And if they be ashamed of all that they have done, shew them the form of the house, and the fashion thereof, and the goings out thereof, and the comings in thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the laws thereof: and write it in their sight, that they may keep the whole form thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and do them.
- shew them
- 40:1-42; 44:5,6; Hebrews 8:5
- all the ordinances
- 1 Corinthians 11:2
- and do
- 11:20; 36:27; Matthew 28:20; John 13:17
This is the law of the house; Upon the top of the mountain the whole limit thereof round about shall be most holy. Behold, this is the law of the house.
- 40:2; 42:20; Psalms 93:5; Joel 3:17; Zechariah 14:20,21; Revelation 21:27
And these are the measures of the altar after the cubits: The cubit is a cubit and an hand breadth; even the bottom shall be a cubit, and the breadth a cubit, and the border thereof by the edge thereof round about shall be a span: and this shall be the higher place of the altar.
- the measures
- Exodus 27:1-8; 2 Chronicles 4:1
- The cubit
- 40:5; 41:8
- Heb. bosom. edge. Heb. lip.
And from the bottom upon the ground even to the lower settle shall be two cubits, and the breadth one cubit; and from the lesser settle even to the greater settle shall be four cubits, and the breadth one cubit.
- the lower settle
- These settles were ledges by which the altar was narrowed towards the top; and the whole of it may thus be computed:--
So the altar shall be four cubits; and from the altar and upward shall be four horns.
- the altar
- Heb. Harel, that is, the mountain of God. Probably so called in opposition to the idolatrous high places.
- the altar
- Heb. Ariel, that is, the lion of God. Rather, "the hearth of God," from the Arabic irat, or iryat, a hearth, and ail, God.
- Isaiah 29:1,2,7
- four horns
- Exodus 27:2; Leviticus 9:9; 1 Kings 2:28; Psalms 118:27
And the altar shall be twelve cubits long, twelve broad, square in the four squares thereof.
- twelve cubits
- Exodus 27:1; 2 Chronicles 4:1; Ezra 3:3
- Exodus 38:1,2
And the settle shall be fourteen cubits long and fourteen broad in the four squares thereof; and the border about it shall be half a cubit; and the bottom thereof shall be a cubit about; and his stairs shall look toward the east.
- and the border
- Exodus 25:25; 30:3; 1 Kings 18:32
- his stairs
- Rather, "its ascents," mäâlothehoo, probably an inclined plane; for the law ordained that the priest should not ascend by stairs.
- Exodus 20:26
- look toward
- 8:16; 40:6; 1 Kings 6:8; Nehemiah 9:4
And he said unto me, Son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; These are the ordinances of the altar in the day when they shall make it, to offer burnt offerings thereon, and to sprinkle blood thereon.
- to offer
- 45:18,19; Exodus 40:29; Leviticus 1:5-17; 8:18-21; 16:19; Hebrews 9:21-13; 10:4-12; Hebrews 12:24
And thou shalt give to the priests the Levites that be of the seed of Zadok, which approach unto me, to minister unto me, saith the Lord GOD, a young bullock for a sin offering.
- the priests
- 40:46; 44:15; 48:11; 1 Samuel 2:35,36; 1 Kings 2:27,35; Isaiah 61:6; 66:22; Jeremiah 33:18-22; 1 Peter 2:5,9
- which approach
- Numbers 16:5,40; 18:5
- a young
- 45:18,19; Exodus 29:10,11; Leviticus 4:3-35; 8:14,15; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 7:27
And thou shalt take of the blood thereof, and put it on the four horns of it, and on the four corners of the settle, and upon the border round about: thus shalt thou cleanse and purge it.
- 15; Exodus 29:12,36; Leviticus 4:25,30,34; 8:15; 9:9
- and on the four
- thus shalt
- 22,26; Leviticus 16:19; Hebrews 9:21-23
Thou shalt take the bullock also of the sin offering, and he shall burn it in the appointed place of the house, without the sanctuary.
- Exodus 29:14; Leviticus 4:12; 8:17; Hebrews 13:11,12
And on the second day thou shalt offer a kid of the goats without blemish for a sin offering; and they shall cleanse the altar, as they did cleanse it with the bullock.
- a kid
- 25; Exodus 29:15-18; Leviticus 8:18-21; Isaiah 53:6,10; 1 Peter 1:19
- and they
And thou shalt offer them before the LORD, and the priests shall cast salt upon them, and they shall offer them up for a burnt offering unto the LORD.
- cast salt
- Leviticus 2:13; Numbers 18:19; 2 Chronicles 13:5; Matthew 5:13; Mark 9:49,50; Colossians 4:6
Seven days shalt thou prepare every day a goat for a sin offering: they shall also prepare a young bullock, and a ram out of the flock, without blemish.
- Exodus 29:35-37; Leviticus 8:33
Seven days shall they purge the altar and purify it; and they shall consecrate themselves.
- they shall
- Leviticus 8:34
- consecrate themselves
- Heb. fill their hands.
- Exodus 29:24; 32:29; *marg:
And when these days are expired, it shall be, that upon the eighth day, and so forward, the priests shall make your burnt offerings upon the altar, and your peace offerings; and I will accept you, saith the Lord GOD.
- that upon
- Leviticus 9:1
- Romans 15:16; Philippians 2:17; Hebrews 13:15
- peace offerings
- or, thank offerings. I will accept.
- 20:40,41; Job 42:8; Hosea 8:13; Romans 12:1; Ephesians 1:6; Colossians 1:20,21; 1 Peter 2:5