The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 1
Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying,
- Now in the
- 2 Chronicles 36:22,23
- Cyrus is said to have been the son of Cambyses, king of Persia, and Mandane, daughter of Astyages, king of Media: he was born about 600 years before Christ, and died at the age of 70, after a reign of 30 years. He was mentioned by name, and his conquests foretold, by the prophet Isaiah, about a century before his birth. Josephus states the partiality he evinced towards the Jews, arose from the circumstance of these prophecies being shown him, probably by Daniel.
- by the mouth
- Jeremiah 25:12-14; 29:10; 33:7-13
- the Lord
- 5:13-15; 6:22; 7:27; Psalms 106:46; Proverbs 21:1; Daniel 2:1
- made a proclamation
- Heb. caused a voice to pass.
- Matthew 3:1-3; John 1:23
Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.
- Lord God
- 1 Kings 8:27; 2 Chronicles 2:12; Isaiah 66:1; Jeremiah 10:11; Daniel 2:21,28; 5:23
- hath given
- Jeremiah 27:6,7; Daniel 2:37,38; 4:25,32; 5:19-21
- all the kingdoms
- According to the testimony of ancient writers, Cyrus, at this time, reigned over the Medes, Persians, Hyrcanians, Syrians, Assyrians, Indians, etc., and all lesser Asia.
- he hath charged
- Isaiah 44:26-28; 45:1,12,13
Who is there among you of all his people? his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of the LORD God of Israel, (he is the God,) which is in Jerusalem.
- his God
- Joshua 1:9; 1 Chronicles 28:20; Matthew 28:20
- he is the God
- Deuteronomy 32:31; Psalms 83:18; Isaiah 45:5; Jeremiah 10:10; Daniel 2:47; 6:26; Acts 10:36
And whosoever remaineth in any place where he sojourneth, let the men of his place help him with silver, and with gold, and with goods, and with beasts, beside the freewill offering for the house of God that is in Jerusalem.
- let the men
- 7:16-18; Acts 24:17; 3 John 1:6-8
- help him
- Heb. lift him up.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9,10; Galatians 6:2
- the freewill
- 2:68-70; 1 Chronicles 29:3,9,17
Then rose up the chief of the fathers of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests, and the Levites, with all them whose spirit God had raised, to go up to build the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem.
- whose spirit
- 1; 2 Chronicles 36:22; Nehemiah 2:12; Proverbs 16:1; 2 Corinthians 8:16; Philippians 2:13; James 1:16,17; 3 John 1:11
And all they that were about them strengthened their hands with vessels of silver, with gold, with goods, and with beasts, and with precious things, beside all that was willingly offered.
- strengthened their hands
- that is, helped them.
- 7:15,16; 8:25-28,33
- willingly offered
- 4; Psalms 110:3; 2 Corinthians 9:7
Also Cyrus the king brought forth the vessels of the house of the LORD, which Nebuchadnezzar had brought forth out of Jerusalem, and had put them in the house of his gods;
- Also Cyrus
- 5:14; 6:5
- 2 Kings 24:13; 25:13-16; 2 Chronicles 36:7,10,18; Jeremiah 27:21,22; 28:3-6; Daniel 1:2; Daniel 5:2,3,23
Even those did Cyrus king of Persia bring forth by the hand of Mithredath the treasurer, and numbered them unto Sheshbazzar, the prince of Judah.
- 11; 5:14,16; Haggai 1:1,14; 2:2-4; Zechariah 4:6-10
And this is the number of them: thirty chargers of gold, a thousand chargers of silver, nine and twenty knives,
- chargers of gold
- Numbers 7:13,19-89; 1 Kings 7:50; 2 Chronicles 4:8,11,21,22; 24:14; Matthew 14:8
- Matthew 10:29-31
All the vessels of gold and of silver were five thousand and four hundred. All these did Sheshbazzar bring up with them of the captivity that were brought up from Babylon unto Jerusalem.
- the vessels
- Romans 9:23; 2 Timothy 2:19-21
- five thousand
- Instead of 5,400, the enumeration of the articles in ver. 9, 10, only amounts to 2,499; but in the account, Esdras 2:13, 14, the amount is 5,469, as will be evident from the following statements:
- Heb. transportation.
- Matthew 1:11,12