The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 36
Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.
- A. M. 2208. B.C. 1796
- 22:17; 25:24-34; 27:35-41; 32:3-7; Numbers 20:14-21; Deuteronomy 23:7; 1 Chronicles 1:35; Isaiah 63:1; Ezekiel 25:12
Esau took his wives of the daughters of Canaan; Adah the daughter of Elon the Hittite, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon the Hivite;
- 9:25; 26:34,35; 27:46
- or, Bashemath.
- the daughter. We ought, most probably, to read here and in ver. 14, as in ver. 20, "the son of Zibeon;" which is the reading of the Samaritan, Septuagint, (and Syriac, in ver. 2,) and which Houbigant and Kennicott contend to be genuine.
And Bashemath Ishmael's daughter, sister of Nebajoth.
- 25:13; 28:9
And Adah bare to Esau Eliphaz; and Bashemath bare Reuel;
- 1 Chronicles 1:35
- Job 2:11
- Exodus 2:18; Numbers 10:29
And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these are the sons of Esau, which were born unto him in the land of Canaan.
- in the land
And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the persons of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his substance, which he had got in the land of Canaan; and went into the country from the face of his brother Jacob.
- A. M. cir. 2264. B.C. cir. 1740. persons. Heb. souls
- Ezekiel 27:13; Revelation 18:13
- 13:6,11; 17:8; 25:23; 28:4; 32:3
For their riches were more than that they might dwell together; and the land wherein they were strangers could not bear them because of their cattle.
- their riches
- the land
- 17:8; 28:4
Thus dwelt Esau in mount Seir: Esau is Edom.
- mount Seir
- 20; 14:6; 32:3; Deuteronomy 2:5; Joshua 24:4; 1 Chronicles 4:42; 2 Chronicles 20:10,23; Ezekiel 35:2-7; Malachi 1:3
And these are the generations of Esau the father of the Edomites in mount Seir:
- the Edomites
- Heb. Edom.
These are the names of Esau's sons; Eliphaz the son of Adah the wife of Esau, Reuel the son of Bashemath the wife of Esau.
- A. M. cir. 2230. B.C. cir. 1774
- 3,4; 1 Chronicles 1:35-54
And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho, and Gatam, and Kenaz.
- A. M. cir. 2270. B.C. cir. 1734. Zepho
- 15,16; 1 Chronicles 1:35,36
And Timna was concubine to Eliphaz Esau's son; and she bare to Eliphaz Amalek: these were the sons of Adah Esau's wife.
- 22; 1 Chronicles 1:36
- 14:7; Exodus 17:8-16; Numbers 24:18-20; Deuteronomy 23:7; 25:17-19; 1 Samuel 15:2,3-9
And these are the sons of Reuel; Nahath, and Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah: these were the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife.
- 17; 1 Chronicles 1:37
And these were the sons of Aholibamah, the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon, Esau's wife: and she bare to Esau Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah.
- A. M. cir. 2292. B.C. cir. 1712
- 2,5,18; 1 Chronicles 1:35
These were dukes of the sons of Esau: the sons of Eliphaz the firstborn son of Esau; duke Teman, duke Omar, duke Zepho, duke Kenaz,
- First aristocracy of dukes, from A
- &M. cir. 2429, to A.M. cir. 2471; from B.C. cir. 1575, to B.C. cir. 1533.
- The word duke is from the Latin dux, a captain or leader, from duco, to lead, guide; which is the exact import of the Hebrew [ ()] alluph, from [aleph, lamed, pheh] to lead, guide; and is here applied to heads of families, chieftains, or princes, who were military leaders.
- 18; 1 Chronicles 1:35
- Job 21:8; Psalms 37:35
- duke Teman
- 4,11,12; 1 Chronicles 1:36,45,51-54; Job 2:11; 4:1; Jeremiah 49:7,20; Ezekiel 25:13; Amos 1:12; Obadiah 1:9; Habakkuk 3:3
Duke Korah, duke Gatam, and duke Amalek: these are the dukes that came of Eliphaz in the land of Edom; these were the sons of Adah.
- Duke Korah
- As it is certain from ver. 4, that Eliphaz was Esau's son by Adah, and from ver. 11, 12, that Eliphaz had but six sons, "Teman, Omar, Zepho, Gatam, Kenaz, and Amalek;" as is is also certain, from ver. 5, 14, that Korah was the son of Esau (not Eliphaz) by Aholibamah; and as the words duke Korah are omitted by both the Samaritan Text and Version, Dr. Kennicott pronounces them to be an interpolation.
- Exodus 15:15
And these are the sons of Reuel Esau's son; duke Nahath, duke Zerah, duke Shammah, duke Mizzah: these are the dukes that came of Reuel in the land of Edom; these are the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife.
- 4,13; 1 Chronicles 1:37
And these are the sons of Aholibamah Esau's wife; duke Jeush, duke Jaalam, duke Korah: these were the dukes that came of Aholibamah the daughter of Anah, Esau's wife.
- 5,14; 1 Chronicles 1:35
These are the sons of Esau, who is Edom, and these are their dukes.
- who is Edom
These are the sons of Seir the Horite, who inhabited the land; Lotan, and Shobal, and Zibeon, and Anah,
- A. M. cir. 2198. B.C. cir. 1806
- 2,22-30; 14:6; Deuteronomy 2:12,22; 1 Chronicles 1:38-42
And Dishon, and Ezer, and Dishan: these are the dukes of the Horites, the children of Seir in the land of Edom.
- A. M. cir. 2204. B.C. cir. 1800
And the children of Lotan were Hori and Hemam; and Lotan's sister was Timna.
- A. M. cir. 2248. B.C. 1756. Hemam
- 1 Chronicles 1:39
And the children of Shobal were these; Alvan, and Manahath, and Ebal, Shepho, and Onam.
- 1 Chronicles 1:40
- or, Shephi.
- 1 Chronicles 1:40
And these are the children of Zibeon; both Ajah, and Anah: this was that Anah that found the mules in the wilderness, as he fed the asses of Zibeon his father.
- Leviticus 19:19; Deuteronomy 2:10; 2 Samuel 13:29; 18:9; 1 Kings 1:38,44; 4:28; Zechariah 14:15
And the children of Anah were these; Dishon, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah.
- 2,5,14,18; 1 Chronicles 1:41
And these are the children of Dishon; Hemdan, and Eshban, and Ithran, and Cheran.
- 1 Chronicles 1:41
The children of Ezer are these; Bilhan, and Zaavan, and Akan.
- 21; 1 Chronicles 1:38
- 1 Chronicles 1:42
The children of Dishan are these; Uz, and Aran.
- Job 1:1; Jeremiah 25:20; Lamentations 4:21
These are the dukes that came of the Horites; duke Lotan, duke Shobal, duke Zibeon, duke Anah,
- 20,28; 1 Chronicles 1:41,42
- duke Lotan
- 20; 1 Chronicles 1:38
Duke Dishon, duke Ezer, duke Dishan: these are the dukes that came of Hori, among their dukes in the land of Seir.
- From A
- &M. cir. 2093, to A.M. cir. 2429; from B.C. cir. 1911, to B.C. cir. 1575. dukes in the.
- 2 Kings 11:19; Isaiah 23:15; Daniel 7:17,23
And these are the kings that reigned in the land of Edom, before there reigned any king over the children of Israel.
- the kings
- 17:6,16; 25:23; Numbers 20:14; 24:17,18; Deuteronomy 17:14-20; 33:5,29; 1 Chronicles 1:43-50
- before there
- Moses may here allude to the promise which God made to Jacob (ch. 35:11,) that kings should proceed from him; and here states that these kings reigned before that prophecy began to be fulfilled.
And Bela died, and Jobab the son of Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his stead.
- A. M. cir. 2135. B.C. cir. 1869. Bozrah. Bozrah, Bezer, or Bostra, was situated in Arabia Deserta, and the eastern part of Edom; and, according to Eusebius, was 24 miles from Edrei. It afterwards belonged to Moab, and was given by Moses to Reuben, but again reverted to Edom. It is now called Boszra; and is described by Burckhardt as the largest town in the Haouran, including its ruins, though only inhabited by about twelve or fifteen families. It is situated in the open plain, two hours distant from Aare, and is at present the last inhabited place in the south-east extremity of the Haouran. It is of an oval shape, it greatest length being from east to west; and its circumference three quarters of an hour
- Isaiah 34:6; 63:1; Jeremiah 49:13,22; Amos 1:12; Micah 2:12
And Jobab died, and Husham of the land of Temani reigned in his stead.
- A. M. cir. 2177. B.C. cir. 1827. Temani. Eusebius places Teman, or Thĉman, which probably gave name to "the land of Temani," in Arabia Petrĉa, five miles from Petra, and says there was a Roman garrison there
- 11,15; Job 2:11; Jeremiah 49:7
And Husham died, and Hadad the son of Bedad, who smote Midian in the field of Moab, reigned in his stead: and the name of his city was Avith.
- A. M. cir. 2219. B.C. cir. 1785
And Hadad died, and Samlah of Masrekah reigned in his stead.
- A. M. cir. 2261. B.C. cir. 1743
And Samlah died, and Saul of Rehoboth by the river reigned in his stead.
- A. M. cir. 2303. B.C. cir. 1701. Rehoboth
- 10:11; 1 Chronicles 1:48
And Saul died, and Baalhanan the son of Achbor reigned in his stead.
- A. M. cir. 2315. B.C. cir. 1659
And Baalhanan the son of Achbor died, and Hadar reigned in his stead: and the name of his city was Pau; and his wife's name was Mehetabel, the daughter of Matred, the daughter of Mezahab.
- A. M. cir. 2387. B.C. cir. 1617. Hadar
- 1 Chronicles 1:50
- Hadad Pai
- After his death was an aristocracy.
- Exodus 15:15
And these are the names of the dukes that came of Esau, according to their families, after their places, by their names; duke Timnah, duke Alvah, duke Jetheth,
- Second aristocracy of dukes, from A
- &M. cir. 2471, B.C. cir. 1533; to A.M. cir. 2513, B.C. cir. 1491. And these.
- 31; 1 Chronicles 1:51-54
- 15,16; Exodus 15:15; 1 Chronicles 1:51-54
- or, Aliah.
- 1 Chronicles 1:51
Duke Magdiel, duke Iram: these be the dukes of Edom, according to their habitations in the land of their possession: he is Esau the father of the Edomites.
- the dukes
- 15,18,19,30,31; Exodus 15:15; Numbers 20:14
- 7,8; 25:12; Deuteronomy 2:5
- 25:30; 36:43; 45:8; 1 Chronicles 4:14
- the Edomites
- Heb. Edom.