The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 2
In the seventh month, in the one and twentieth day of the month, came the word of the LORD by the prophet Haggai, saying,
- the seventh
- 10,20; 1:15
- the prophet
- Heb. the hand of the prophet, etc.
- 1:1; 2 Peter 1:21
Speak now to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, and to the residue of the people, saying,
- 1:14; Ezra 1:8; 2:63; Nehemiah 8:9
Who is left among you that saw this house in her first glory? and how do ye see it now? is it not in your eyes in comparison of it as nothing?
- is left
- Ezra 3:12; Zechariah 4:9,10
- Ezekiel 7:20; Luke 21:5,6
Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, saith the LORD; and be strong, O Joshua, son of Josedech, the high priest; and be strong, all ye people of the land, saith the LORD, and work: for I am with you, saith the LORD of hosts:
- Deuteronomy 31:23; Joshua 1:6,9; 1 Chronicles 22:13; 28:20; Zechariah 8:9; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10; 2 Timothy 2:1
- 1:13; Exodus 3:12; Judges 2:18; 1 Samuel 16:18; 2 Samuel 5:10; Mark 16:20; Acts 7:9; 2 Timothy 4:17
According to the word that I covenanted with you when ye came out of Egypt, so my spirit remaineth among you: fear ye not.
- to the
- Exodus 29:45,46; 33:12-14; 34:8,10
- Numbers 11:25-29; Nehemiah 9:20,30; Psalms 51:11,12; Isaiah 63:11-14; Zechariah 4:6; John 14:16,17
- Joshua 8:1; 2 Chronicles 20:17; Isaiah 41:10,13; Zechariah 8:13,15; Matthew 28:5; Acts 27:24; Revelation 1:17
For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land;
- 21,22; Hebrews 12:26-28
- it is
- Psalms 37:10; Isaiah 10:25; 29:17; Jeremiah 51:33; Hebrews 10:37
- and I
- Isaiah 34:4; Jeremiah 4:23-26; Ezekiel 38:20; Joel 2:30-32; 3:16; Matthew 24:29,30; Mark 13:24-26; Luke 21:25-27; Acts 2:19; Hebrews 12:26; Revelation 6:12-17; 8:5-12; Revelation 11:9; 6:2-17
And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.
- I will shake
- Ezekiel 21:27; Daniel 2:44,45; 7:20-25; Joel 3:9-16; Luke 21:10,11
- and the
- Genesis 3:15; 22:18; 49:10; Zechariah 9:9,10; Luke 2:10,11,27,46; Romans 15:9-15; Galatians 3:8
- I will fill
- Exodus 40:34,35; 1 Kings 8:11; 2 Chronicles 5:14; Psalms 80:1; Malachi 3:1; Luke 19:47; 20:1; Luke 21:38; John 1:14; 2:13-17; 7:37-39; 10:23-38; Colossians 2:9
The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.
- 1 Kings 6:20-35; 1 Chronicles 29:14-16; Psalms 24:1; 50:10-12; Isaiah 60:13,17
The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, saith the LORD of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, saith the LORD of hosts.
- Psalms 24:7-10; John 1:14; 2 Corinthians 3:9,10; 1 Timothy 3:16; James 2:1
- Whoever compares the description of the temple of Solomon, in the first book of Kings, with the most splendid accounts of the second temple, however adorned with costly stones and other magnificent decorations in after ages, must perceive that the former, being wholly overlaid with pure gold, was incomparably more glorious than the latter in its greatest magnificence; and the Jews themselves allow that the ark of the covenant, fire from heaven, the Urim and Thummim, the anointing oil, the Shechinah, or visible glory, and the spirit of prophecy, which distinguished the former temple, were wanting in this. In nothing, in fact, could the second temple excel the first in glory, except in the personal presence of "the Desire of all nations," He who is "the glory of the Lord," and the true temple, "in whom dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily," and who was the true Shechinah, of which that of Solomon's temple was merely a type. And if it be admitted that the presence of the promised Messiah was intended, then it will follow that "Jesus of Nazareth" was He; for the second temple, in which as the "Prince of peace" he preached peace and reconciliation with God, has been utterly destroyed for upwards of seventeen hundred years.
- Psalms 85:8,9; Isaiah 9:6,7; 57:18-21; Micah 5:5; Luke 2:14; John 14:27; Acts 10:36; Ephesians 2:14-17; Colossians 1:19-21
In the four and twentieth day of the ninth month, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,
- 1,20; 1:1,15
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Ask now the priests concerning the law, saying,
- Leviticus 10:10,11; Deuteronomy 33:10; Ezekiel 44:23,24; Malachi 2:7; Titus 1:9
If one bear holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt do touch bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or any meat, shall it be holy? And the priests answered and said, No.
- Exodus 29:37; Leviticus 6:27,29; 7:6; Ezekiel 44:19; Matthew 23:19
Then said Haggai, If one that is unclean by a dead body touch any of these, shall it be unclean? And the priests answered and said, It shall be unclean.
- Numbers 5:2,3; 9:6-10; 19:11-22
Then answered Haggai, and said, So is this people, and so is this nation before me, saith the LORD; and so is every work of their hands; and that which they offer there is unclean.
- So is this people
- 1:4-11; Proverbs 15:8; 21:4,27; 28:9; Isaiah 1:11-15; Titus 1:15; Jude 1:23
- and that
- Ezra 3:2,3
And now, I pray you, consider from this day and upward, from before a stone was laid upon a stone in the temple of the LORD:
- 18; 1:5,7; Psalms 107:43; Isaiah 5:12; Hosea 14:9; Malachi 3:8-11; Romans 6:21; 1 Corinthians 11:31
- from before
- Ezra 3:10; 4:24
Since those days were, when one came to an heap of twenty measures, there were but ten: when one came to the pressfat for to draw out fifty vessels out of the press, there were but twenty.
- when one came to an
- 1:6,9-11; Proverbs 3:9,10; Zechariah 8:10-12; Malachi 2:2
I smote you with blasting and with mildew and with hail in all the labours of your hands; yet ye turned not to me, saith the LORD.
- with blasting
- 1:9; Genesis 42:6,23,27; Deuteronomy 28:22; 1 Kings 8:37; 2 Chronicles 6:28; Isaiah 37:27; Amos 4:9
- with hail
- Exodus 9:18-29; Isaiah 28:2
- in all
- 1:11; Psalms 78:46; Isaiah 62:8; Jeremiah 3:24
- 2 Chronicles 28:22; Job 36:13; Isaiah 9:13; 42:25; Jeremiah 5:3; 6:16,17; 8:4-7; Hosea 7:9,10; Amos 4:8-11; Zechariah 1:2-4; 7:9-13; Revelation 2:21; 9:20,21
Consider now from this day and upward, from the four and twentieth day of the ninth month, even from the day that the foundation of the LORD'S temple was laid, consider it.
- 15; Deuteronomy 32:29; Luke 15:17-20
- 1:14,15; Ezra 5:1,2; Zechariah 8:9,12
Is the seed yet in the barn? yea, as yet the vine, and the fig tree, and the pomegranate, and the olive tree, hath not brought forth: from this day will I bless you.
- Habakkuk 3:17,18
- Genesis 26:12; Leviticus 26:3-13; Deuteronomy 15:10; 28:2-15; Psalms 84:12; 128:1-5; 133:3; Proverbs 3:9,10; Zechariah 8:11-15; Malachi 3:10; Matthew 6:33
And again the word of the LORD came unto Haggai in the four and twentieth day of the month, saying,
- in the
Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth;
- 1:1,14; 1 Chronicles 3:19; Ezra 2:2; 5:2; Zechariah 4:6-10
- I will
- 6,7; Psalms 46:6; Ezekiel 26:15; 38:19,20; Joel 3:16; Hebrews 12:26,27; Revelation 16:17-19
And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
- Isaiah 60:12; Ezekiel 21:27; Daniel 2:34,35,44,45; 7:25-27; 8:25; Micah 5:8,15; Zephaniah 3:8; Zechariah 10:11; 12:2-5; 14:3; Matthew 24:7; Revelation 11:15
- and I will overthrow the chariots
- Exodus 14:17,28; 15:4,19; Psalms 46:9; 76:6; Ezekiel 39:20; Micah 5:10; Zechariah 4:6; Zechariah 9:10
- Judges 7:22; 1 Samuel 14:16; 2 Chronicles 20:22; Isaiah 9:19; 19:2
In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the LORD of hosts.
- O Zerubbabel
- It seems evident that the Messiah is here described under the name of Zerubbabel, as elsewhere under that of David, whose kingdom, after these mighty convulsions, should supersede all others.
- and will
- Song of Solomon 8:6; Jeremiah 22:24; John 6:27; 2 Timothy 2:19
- Isaiah 42:1; 43:10; 49:1-3; Zechariah 4:6-14; Matthew 12:18; 1 Peter 2:4